Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 02:38 PM

29,486 posts, read 14,650,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
If you have a problem with the mother (if it actually is a hygiene issue), I get it, but an 8 year old isn't capable of correcting the problem on her own. That's the point that people are trying to make to you. It's not the little girls fault. She's a very young child.
I never said it was her fault, or bashed her (the fact that people think I did is exactly my issue with PC), I simply stated that why is everyone quick to feel sorry for her ? Sure it sucks and kids are harsh but come on, 24 times ? The fault of it is the parents but when you were 8 did you get it after being told 24 times to do something ? Even our teenage daughter would get it after the first 10-12 times ... well the majority of the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 02:56 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,782,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I feel sorry for the others that have to endure her odor. Why does it seem like so many in today's society feel for the person causing the issue instead of the victims ?
If the child is being neglected at home and not being taught proper hygiene - her parents are making her as much of a victim by subjecting the child to this treatment!!! We are not talking about an adult but a 7 year old child. Geeeesh.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I wouldn't send CPS right away. I recall one time when I was talking to a counselor about my daughter. She said that once CPS gets involved in your life, it's hard to invite them to leave.

This is what I would recommend first.
The only people who would be legally allowed to do a home visit would be CPS. They would discuss the problem with the parents, check out the home, and if everything checks out then there is no reason for them to get involved any further. If the home is filthy and there appears to be neglect they would probably give the family a warning to clear it up and advise them that they would be returning to see if the matter was sorted out. It's not a crime to live in a dirty house or not to teach your child proper hygiene, but if the environment is the cause, CPS may help the parents to understand the impact it is having on the child.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:11 PM

Quote:
I completely agree with both of you except the little girl and her family were given basically 24 chances at getting this issue resolved. 24 ... not 1 , not 5 , not 10 but 24... sorry but I'm not ashamed of my attitude. I am sick in tired of the majority having to deal with what the minority does or wants.
And now where in that article did I read that the reason for her lack of hygiene was that she came from a poor family. Which really isn't an excuse to begin with.
Yes, that little 8 year old totally disregarded gthe 24 chances she had to resolve the issue herself. Do you think she is actually capable of understanding what is going on, why it is happening, and how to remedy it herself?

Clearly you are not a parent nor have been around children for any length of time. Having said that, one really doesn't need to be a parent or be around children to UNDERSTAND that an 8 year old child is not capable of understanding the problem and how to correct it.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:20 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,777,825 times
Yes, I think the child has to understand. My 8 and 9 year old would be in the shower for days scrubbing their arses if they were embarrassed one little bit. Kids that age feel embarassement in a visceral way, mine wouldnt go back to school until they were certain the problem was gone

Old 04-03-2013, 03:20 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
I feel sorry for the others that have to endure her odor.
So you would feel sorry for yourself if you were sitting next to her in school. What with you refusing to work with people who stink and all. Put yourself up there at numero uno and who cares about the fact that this is an eight year old girl who may be stuck with clueless parents through no fault of her own. Let's not worry about her because your olfactory system works.

Bless your heart.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:25 PM

3,846 posts, read 2,384,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonarchist View Post
I've been working on ingestible perfuming since I first read Jitterbug Perfume, by Tom Robbins.

Beets, man!

It's in the beets!

Dimethylsulfoxide. Internal ambergris.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:38 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,044,643 times
I saw the television version of the story. I'm going to judge a book by the cover, and go with lack of hygiene at home, rather than a genetic disorder. After a few suspensions, the school should have called family services-- don't wait until the kid has missed parts of 24 days.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:50 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
I see you are another person that has first hand knowledge of what is going on? Amazing you can offer such sound advice! What school districts claim, we should take as the gospel truth! Cause, you such a good follower, and respectful of authority! Obviously, it's completely the parent's fault.
As someone who has taught over 20 years, I have a pretty darn good idea. Schools do not lightly send kids home - they receive money based on daily attendance and in most states are evaluated on their school report card by daily attendance. In the schools I have worked in when a child had smelly issues the counselors tried working with them first and that usually took care of the problem. If that didn't work they talked to the parents. It was amazing how many times it ended up being an issue of no washer in the house or the parents themselves were absolutely clueless about hygiene, including their own. Sometimes it is a bathroom issue, as in the child doesn't properly wipe or has accidents. With little girls it is sometimes a urinary tract infection. When I worked in Eastern Kentucky, children that smelled like cat urine were reported to the police because that usually meant there was a Meth Lab in the house. It is not normal for an eight year old child to smell bad enough to distract others. Nor is it common for a school to feel it is bad enough to send a child home - I have only seen that twice in my career and in both cases it was a child who kept pooping their pants.

I also feel I need to point out that it might be a sign of an STD.

Old 04-03-2013, 04:06 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Don't sit in the truck after my daughter takes off her batting gloves!
It will make you puke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies