Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 07:39 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,479,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
This happens all the time, just in the last few days:

On Easter Day a 4-year-old Alabama boy accidentally shot himself to death with the unsecured family gun.

On March 28th an 11-year-old girl in Arizona died after she was accidentally shot by another child in her home.

I'd have more respect for gun owners if so many of them didn't appear to be total idiots leaving unsecured guns around the family home.

4-year-old killed in Easter Sunday shooting identified (updated) | al.com

PCSO: 11-year-old Joan Plumb dies after accidental shooting in Casa Grande
You get hung up on the small numbers. In comparison to all gun owners, most do lock up and secure guns.

Its a small problem, often, just a tragic accident. People do make mistakes.

Id have more respect for the anti-gun folks if they actually got the facts straight. You like to scare people my posting the few bad things about them. You like to exploit the victims such as women and children for your cause. Why dont you look at the whole picture and see that more good does come from them then bad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 07:41 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,987,093 times
Quote:
I never ran across a gun ---ever, in my whole life, as a child or adult. Responsible people don't just leave guns laying around where kids or adults can get their hands on them.

Hmmm.... I grew up with guns in my house. My step dad had a shotgun behind their bedroom door, a 22 rifle in the other corner of the room, and a pistol in their dresser. My step brother had a shot gun, a 30-30, in either corner of his room. He also had a bow and arrow, and 2 cross bows. Not to mention 2 pistols, a 9mm and a 44 mag. Both were hunters. At any rate, I knew early on the difference between a toy, and a real gun. I also learned early on to keep my hands off of stuff that didn't belong to me, and if friends were over it was when my parents were home. Yeah, as a teen, I disobeyed that rule a bit, but nevertheless none of them went in other rooms of the house, messed with those guns, or were accidently shot! In fact those friends also were taught common sense, and they had parents who owned guns.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:49 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,649,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhemi View Post
You get hung up on the small numbers. In comparison to all gun owners, most do lock up and secure guns.

Its a small problem, often, just a tragic accident. People do make mistakes.

Id have more respect for the anti-gun folks if they actually got the facts straight. You like to scare people my posting the few bad things about them. You like to exploit the victims such as women and children for your cause. Why dont you look at the whole picture and see that more good does come from them then bad?
Because I absolutely do not share that opinion. I think America's gun-happy culture is one of its biggest weaknesses. Thirty thousand people every year. And yes more than half are suicides but that doesn't mean they aren't still a tragedy. You can discount them; I do not.

There have been 3,932 gun deaths since Newtown. That's an entire small town of people.

Gun-death tally: Every American gun death since Newtown Sandy Hook shooting (INTERACTIVE). - Slate Magazine

If you go to this graphic, and click on some of the "bodies" signifying gun deaths, you can click on "source" and read each one's story. The small bodies indicate children who were killed. Two-year-olds shot by their fathers. Women ambushed in parking lots and cold-bloodedly slaughtered by their husbands. So many women and children killed in murder/suicides by the people they trust the most. They are the saddest stories in the world. And there will be more today, and tomorrow, and the day after that.....

Old 04-04-2013, 07:56 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,987,093 times
Quote:
Because I absolutely do not share that opinion. I think America's gun-happy culture is one of its biggest weaknesses. Thirty thousand people every year. And yes more than half are suicides but that doesn't mean they aren't still a tragedy. You can discount them; I do not.

There have been 3,932 gun deaths since Newtown. That's an entire small town of people.

Gun-death tally: Every American gun death since Newtown Sandy Hook shooting (INTERACTIVE). - Slate Magazine

If you go to this graphic, and click on some of the "bodies" signifying gun deaths, you can click on "source" and read each one's story. The small bodies indicate children who were killed. Two-year-olds shot by their fathers. Women ambushed in parking lots and cold-bloodedly slaughtered by their husbands. So many women and children killed in murder/suicides by the people they trust the most. They are the saddest stories in the world. And there will be more today, and tomorrow, and the day after that.....

OK, so knowing this, and knowing that human nature does indeed have a dark side, wouldn't it make more sense for that woman to be able to have the knowledge to defend herself? Sorry, but I value my life, as well as that of my family and others, so you needn't worry about someone like me. But I'll be damned if I'm going to allow myself or my family to be vulnerable to the jacka**es of the world who don't give a crap about the lives of others, or their own! Because if they did care, they wouldn't be partaking in risky behavior that may get themselves killed!

Old 04-04-2013, 08:01 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,649,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
OK, so knowing this, and knowing that human nature does indeed have a dark side, wouldn't it make more sense for that woman to be able to have the knowledge to defend herself? Sorry, but I value my life, as well as that of my family and others, so you needn't worry about someone like me. But I'll be damned if I'm going to allow myself or my family to be vulnerable to the jacka**es of the world who don't give a crap about the lives of others, or their own! Because if they did care, they wouldn't be partaking in risky behavior that may get themselves killed!
The point of this thread is gun safety in the home. Yes, I understand that people want to defend their homes from outside intruders, but in reality you are more likely to be shot by an acquaintance or family member than you are a total stranger. One of the most dangerous things a woman in a domestic violence situation can do is let a gun remain the home, because it is far more likely to be used to threaten, assault, or kill her than it is to be used by her for self-defense. (but that's another thread.)

Old 04-04-2013, 08:18 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,479,849 times
Quote:

There has been an estimated 300,000 deaths due to obesity. That darn Big Mac seems to be more of a weakness.

Suicide is a death. Advocate for suicide prevention instead of gun prevention. If one wants to die, they will do it. A gun is just one tool of many they can use.

Violent crimes and deaths. Still, same thing. Lets solve that problem. A gun is just a tool of many tools used.

From most of your posts, you dont like guns and you dont like men. Its always the women and children. Women kill too. Some with guns, some without.

SOLVE THE PROBLEM. Guns are not the issue.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:22 AM

50,286 posts, read 47,032,885 times
If you have a gun you HATE DA BABIES

12,282 posts, read 13,238,044 times
Quote:
That is absolutely not true. Here's a good example. For decades, family practitioners have been forbidden to ask patients about guns in their homes or how they are stored. If that restriction was dropped, and pediatricians could ask parents about guns in the home, many of these incidents could have been prevented. Are you trying to tell me that these parents were unable to safely secure these guns away from their children? That they didn't know better? No, it's just a too casual attitude towards guns, thinking they are just toys, and being too lazy to store them properly away from children.

Or the NRA. They'll lobby about every stupid, outrageous unfeasible plan in the world, but why don't they direct their massive resources to publicizing gun safety at home, since each year more children are killed by guns at home than are ever killed in mass shootings.

Gun lovers love to accept all these needless deaths, when so much could be done. They are like helpless little ninnies flapping their arms about going "we can't do anything to improve gun safety...it would be too hard...it wouldn't work!...I might have to make an effort...it might be an inconvenience !!...waaahhh
WHY! don't YOU NRA member even mention this program? Don't you even know what your organization provides?

Ellen the NRA does have a gun safety program. It is here: Eddie Eagle GunSafe|Eddie Eagle GunSafe

The NRA should pay all the costs of this program rather than First come first serve.

Grant Funding

Eddie Eagle Grant Funding for Schools, Law Enforcement Agencies, Daycare Centres, Hospital & Libraries
eddie_program_materials.jpg

Grant funding, provided by Friends of NRA, is available in many states. Schools, law enforcement agencies, hospitals, daycare centers, and libraries are eligible to receive all program curriculum materials free of charge. See below for a complete listing of materials available free under the grant.

No Application Necessary

Grant funding is easy and hassle-free. No application necessary! Simply call (800) 231-0752 and ask if your state has grant funding. If funding is available, place your order. Call today! Funding is limited and available on a first come, first served basis.

Call (800) 231-0752 to find out if there is grant funding in your state.
Program Materials Recommended Quantities Item No.
Grades Pre-K - 1
Student Workbook Level 1 (Pk/25) 1 pk/25 students EE 12475
Instructor's Guide Level 1 1 per instructor EE 12451
Grades 2 & 3
Student Workbook Level 2 (Pk/25) 1 pk/25 students EE 12482
Instructor's Guide Level 2 1 per instructor EE 12490
Grades Pre-K - 3
Animated DVD (7 minutes) 1 per school EE 12542
Student Reward Stickers (Pk/25) 1 pk/25 students EE 12381
Safety Poster 1 per classroom EE 12430
Parents' Guide to Gun Safety Brochure 1 pk/25 students ES 12852
Spanish Program Materials
Student Workbook Level 1 1 per student EE 12474
Student Workbook Level 2 1 per student EE 12481
Animated DVD (7 minutes) 1 per school EE 12541
Student Reward Stickers (Sheet/10) 1 sheet/10 students EE 12860
Parents' Guide to Gun Safety Brochure 1 pk/25 students ES 12853

Call (800) 231-0752 to find out if there is grant funding in your state.

HOW TO ORDER:

If you are ordering materials for a law enforcement agency, school, daycare, hospital, or library, please call the Eddie Eagle Program at (800) 231-0752 to use free grant funding

59,040 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
You can go right ahead (and hijack the thread). The point of the thread if you hadn't noticed was about the tragic death of a child from an accidental gun shooting, and safety measures that gun-owners should adopt to prevent such tragedies. To which I would add that guns in the home are also used to kill children outright, i.e. homicide.

The fact that guns are used in self-defense in no way changes the fact that every few days some child dies a violent death from guns in the home.
YOU didn't START this thread so try to tell me what I can and cannot post.

You talk about hijacking a thread how, about your statement, "And you wonder why I think gun owners are idiots"?

In a ADULT discussion both side give their opinions. YOU claim that gun owners are idiots (is that highjacking the thread?) and I post where guns have been used many, many time MORE for good then and you can't take it so you "accuse me of highjacling the thread that you didn't even start.

Grow up. If you cant' stand people voicing their opinion when it is counter to yours, then you don't belong on a public adult forum.

I am still waiting for your apology to ALL gun owners.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:26 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,238,044 times
Ellen makes some very good points and gets up set at the deflections.

ELLEN PLEASE QUIT CALLING THEM idiots IT IS JUST SCREWING UP THIS THREAD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies