Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 10:55 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,830,041 times

Advertisements

Yes it has.
Racism has something to with race right?

So why does everytime I say I'm against illegal immigration I'm called racist?
Why am I called racist because I don't like pressing 2 for English?
That millions come here and think I SHOULD learn Spanish,even though I was born here?

That's not even racism.

Now the scenario about the lady walking into the store and guessing the black guy at the counter as not the owner,not really. Now if she had guessed he was the janitor,yes.

Brainsand beauty,see if these same neighbors and cashiers speak to others. If they do,then maybe they are racist,if not,then they may be insular as others pointed out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 01:35 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,446,448 times
I have witnessed, in the work environment where blacks will "greet" other blacks in passing in hallways, but no one else not of color. I always thought how interesting it is if the term "racist" is used, it is always thought to be AGAINST someone white vs someone of color, when I see, on personal observation, more indications when those "stick to their own" type will acknowledge each other while ignoring others. I greet everyone or none, not only those that happen to share skin color in passing in the hallways. Some days are "brighter" and "less focused" than others in my field of work. I work with an almost balanced (if not more hispanic, then black then white population) workplace. It is true, more of the Doctors are white than other races, but LOTS of hispanics and a large population of blacks in the hospital area where I work, making the blend almost balanced. (having said that, Docs acknowledge Docs almost exclusively....does that make them "racist"???)

In the IMMEDIATE area I work, I am thrilled to say we are all "one big happy family" with NO racial tones or issues at all...and that is a WONDERFUL thing!

Last edited by Paka; 04-06-2013 at 02:29 AM..

Old 04-06-2013, 02:40 AM

315 posts, read 383,348 times
this thread is a joke. lol @ the "reverse racism" posters typical scenarios, completely missing the question.

Old 04-06-2013, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainsandBeauty View Post
I moved to Spokane, WA in August 2012. Since, I have experienced racism in my neighborhood because I am the only Black person ( By observation) that lives in this community. My neighbors do not speak to me ever except for one older White lady. Even when I go to the grocery store, no one ever speaks. I'm not saying everyone is racist but majority is.

I read on a previous post that Spokane could not be racist because there are mixed couples here. There are not that many mixed couples in Spokane. There is a small population of Blacks and other minorities who date the majority race which is white in Spokane. So, if there were more minorities, I'm almost certain they would date there own race.

Ultimately, or from what I have researched, Washington State is Indian land which is not acknowledged in Spokane except for a few Pow Wows and Indian festivities every once in a while.

It is sad that Whites think they are superior to other races when in fact, they are not. Most are not even educated but given a job because Sue knows Bob dad who is the CEO of some Company you (Educated and Minority)applied for a job at and they gave it to Sue (Uneducation and White).

If someone ask me about Spokane in terms of African American, my response will be.....find another state were fair and equality exist, but where is that in America?

Lastly, when we all die, we all go to heaven or hell. We all have the same God. Some actually think they worship a different God than minorities. NOT!! Jesus died for us all!!!
true about Sopkane as far as lack of warmth, including history of Native American population and history not acknowledged in places like Spokane, which is ironic since Spokane and the majority of other cities in Washington State are named after Native Americans. It's a shame. I grew up in Seattle, and been all over Washington State over the years, so I agree with what most of what you say regarding uneducated whites getting jobs over educated and minority ones in the job market. While others tried to downplay your post, I know differently based on my experiences.

Also, I've had a few black friends who use to live and work in Spokane 20 plus years ago, and they've told me stories that literally made the hairs stand up. Racism use to be worse during that time due to white supremacist groups from Idaho. Other than that, I hope your time in Spokane improves before you decide to relocate to another area.

Old 04-06-2013, 05:40 AM

1,013 posts, read 1,192,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil3 View Post
Of course racism should be spoken against. However, when it is used as a crutch for failure in life, which I referred to above, it does no good. Please don't attempt to twist my words around to your liking.
I wasn't trying to twist anything. Instead of validating his experience, you minimized or tried to discredit it in some way. You don't know him & you did not witness what happened or how it happened. Maybe you're right, maybe you're wrong. But then you implied it was more likely he was being treated a certain way because of his attitude.

That's honestly a common response to any minority who speaks about their experience with racism, sexism, homophobia, etc. Especially when the experience is more subtle, or not a straight up hate crime.

It's still racist when people feel the need to immediately discredit the experience of someone else based on little more than their desire to believe race is a non-issue, or "but whites experience that, too!"

Not that you pulled the reverse racism card, but other posters here have. For those people:

One experience of racism does not negate other experiences of racism.

To the OP:

There is overt racism -- This would include things like Jim Crow laws, hate crimes/speech, etc.

There is covert racism -- This is less hard to identify & generally gets dismissed or rationalized away much like the experience of the poster from WA. Usually it is the result of social conditioning & sometimes it is not even intended. Examples of covert racism would include things like the lack of visibility of POC in media/movies except for common stereotypes, to refusing to acknowledge race-related issues because you are "color-blind."

People are not only more aware/educated on racism today, but they are far less tolerant of it than they were in the past. I think that is why you see people talking about it more openly & often now.

Last edited by thethreefoldme; 04-06-2013 at 06:18 AM..

Old 04-06-2013, 12:09 PM

12,953 posts, read 13,663,665 times
The definition doesn't change but as we evolve and become sensitive to each others feelings, what once was not considered insensitive gets included as inappropriate. I remember over 30 years ago if a middle school African American student was trying out for orchestra or band the band instructor would tell them they should not chose the french horn or flute because their lips were too thick. This was supposed to be helpful advice to keep the young student from struggling.

Old 04-06-2013, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainsandBeauty View Post
I moved to Spokane, WA in August 2012. Since, I have experienced racism in my neighborhood because I am the only Black person ( By observation) that lives in this community. My neighbors do not speak to me ever except for one older White lady. Even when I go to the grocery store, no one ever speaks. I'm not saying everyone is racist but majority is.

I read on a previous post that Spokane could not be racist because there are mixed couples here. There are not that many mixed couples in Spokane. There is a small population of Blacks and other minorities who date the majority race which is white in Spokane. So, if there were more minorities, I'm almost certain they would date there own race.

Ultimately, or from what I have researched, Washington State is Indian land which is not acknowledged in Spokane except for a few Pow Wows and Indian festivities every once in a while.

It is sad that Whites think they are superior to other races when in fact, they are not. Most are not even educated but given a job because Sue knows Bob dad who is the CEO of some Company you (Educated and Minority)applied for a job at and they gave it to Sue (Uneducation and White).

If someone ask me about Spokane in terms of African American, my response will be.....find another state were fair and equality exist, but where is that in America?

Lastly, when we all die, we all go to heaven or hell. We all have the same God. Some actually think they worship a different God than minorities. NOT!! Jesus died for us all!!!
to add, i agree with your experiences regarding racism in Spokane. it is one of the things i can't stand in Northern states, the covert racisim, and dismissiveness by some based on your experiences. In WA and other places, it's such a passive aggressiveness that irritates me, followed by downplaying when you bring uo such personal experiences affecting you. I have experienced those issues in different fields, the attitudes some raised in WA and OR tend to have about blacks being educated and experienced more than themselves. It's maddening to have your efforts second guessed base on the color of your skin. And if you are a woman, that is more of an issue.

i will never forget a young white male supervisor years ago back when i was young and naive telling me that i was double minority, and while his tone was not overtly malicious, however there was something about it that put me off, like he made it seem like negative. Our conversation was regarding becoming a police officer, and while he was applying to become one, at one point i was interested in pursuing that occupation.

Like you, I believe in Yeshua, and I pray your faith will sustain you during rough waters.

Old 04-06-2013, 12:24 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,310,150 times
Default As a matter of fact...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
I sure see the word racist thrown around a lot on these boards. I see it more now than in the 60's when there was quite a bit of racism going on. Has the definition changed? Is it a certain age group that is using it for different reasons than what is was used for in the past?

I would like to see examples of what some people consider racism.
just as a recent eample, peruse the World forum here at c-d and you will discover a current discussion on the subject of racism. Racism takes many forms and it is (as it always has been but without the term of racism used) a global affront to humanity now and as long as it has existed in humanity.

Racism is derived and existed as long as mankind has roamed the earth and each area of the world has its own history and version of it.

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...

//www.city-data.com/forum/world...know-what.html

Old 04-06-2013, 12:27 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,542,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freespiritbty View Post
Like you, I believe in Yeshua, and I pray your faith will sustain you during rough waters.
I'm sure you do...as is typical of people like you. The Hebrew name usage doesn't make you look more sophisticated either.

Old 04-06-2013, 12:49 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,942,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
I sure see the word racist thrown around a lot on these boards. I see it more now than in the 60's when there was quite a bit of racism going on. Has the definition changed? Is it a certain age group that is using it for different reasons than what is was used for in the past?

I would like to see examples of what some people consider racism.
The definitions stay the same, the interpretations change all the time. Definitions and interpretations are two very different things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies