Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 06:30 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,886,908 times

Advertisements

If you are young and healthy the smart thing to do is just pay the fine until you get sick and then buy insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2013, 06:34 AM

977 posts, read 763,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Ever since Obama's mandatory healthcare, I've been wondering if paying insurance is worth it for a young person. My current policy is a high deductible policy, with a cheap rate, and I like this sort of policy since I am healthy and saving for the high deductible is easier for me than paying a high premium and not using the health care services...

...But it looks like my choice could be going away due to the health care law, and I was wondering what sort of policy makes financial sense for a young person, and who to vote for to get lower health care costs....
Looks like it is going to be backed up until 2015. Can't get the exchanges in place as well as the cost control issues.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:54 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,226,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
If you are young and healthy the smart thing to do is just pay the fine until you get sick and then buy insurance.
I'd rather not have a fine. As I said, I'd rather have catastrophic insurance so I can have low premiums.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:54 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,853,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Yep, be sure to have your cell phone app to the Ins Co ready for you to use in the ambulance on the way to the Hospital.

Old 04-07-2013, 07:00 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,781,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
After all as nancy said we had to pass it to know what is in it. We are slowly finding out
What does Nancy care? She and the rest of Congress are exempt from Obamacare and they can afford the best treatment available.

Old 04-07-2013, 09:02 AM

8,893 posts, read 5,369,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
The ONLY way you would lose your current healthcare plan under the ACA is if your current plan does not offer full coverage. You just only have a catastrophe plan or a plan that covers tests.
Who gets to decide what "full coverage" consists of?

Old 04-07-2013, 09:50 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times
Quote:
I don't mind paying the doctor...

...But if insurance people are going to take money from me for a long time where I won't need most of it, I'd rather have that money go to an account that generates interest for me.

...The way I see it, I see healthcare as a total cost to be paid in your life time. I am betting that I will save more money by investing the money I would've spent on insurance, whose premiums are going to be rather high after the affordable healthcare act.

But the reality is far different from perception is it not?

As a young person the SMART thing to do would be to devote at aleast 5% of your disposable income to a retirement fund that will hopefully generate interest returns large enough to sustain an "adequate" lifestyle in retirement.

NOW add to that deduction another set aside of significant proportions to deal with a catastrophic medical event in your life. How much would that be likely to require? Another 5% perhaps, more - less?

NOW factor in you will also need to carry that catastrophic indemnity throughout your entire lifespan including retirement and how much would you have to adjust either or both of those savings plans to accommodate that scenario?

NOW factor in the adjustment to those plans, both retirement AND medical, to accommodate for their costs INCREASING without restraint and where does that leave you in the scheme of having adequate funds set aside to cover a rather mediocre medical issue that has now skyrocketed in costs to treat due to NO attempts to reign in those profits being made by ALL parties.

My surmisal and worthless opinion: You cannot get there from here. No one living in the real world can or will save for both of those conditions being met in any kind of regimen that also allows for enjoying any kind of day to day lifestyle.

You may as well save yourself the angst of watching your fail-safe scenario fade into the distance. You cannot have both within any reasonable expectation.

What you need is affordable medical insurance that is government mandated and cost CONTROLLED that will cover your azz for any foreseeable medical event. It should be compulsory, either through payroll deductions or taxation. No choice in the matter. That should not be a crapshoot. You mandate the wearing of seatbelts for chrissake.

Your retirement lifestyle should be left entirely up to you to provide.

Take your pick; save for a mediocre retirement or save for a medical event and then live off welfare.

Some freak'n paradise that is!

Old 04-07-2013, 10:02 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,853,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
What does Nancy care? She and the rest of Congress are exempt from Obamacare and they can afford the best treatment available.
Still not very familiar with the ACA, huh?

Old 04-07-2013, 10:16 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,417,223 times
Health insurance really covers your "life" in a macro context and as such, premiums should be spread out over your entire life.

Old 04-07-2013, 10:18 AM

27,142 posts, read 15,313,785 times
Quote:
Ever since Obama's mandatory healthcare, I've been wondering if paying insurance is worth it for a young person. My current policy is a high deductible policy, with a cheap rate, and I like this sort of policy since I am healthy and saving for the high deductible is easier for me than paying a high premium and not using the health care services...

...But it looks like my choice could be going away due to the health care law, and I was wondering what sort of policy makes financial sense for a young person, and who to vote for to get lower health care costs....

Whatever happened to "Freedom of Choice"?

A cry of the Left............only when it suits them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies