Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2013, 03:40 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,594,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
sure, how about kennesaw, hudson, all cities and towns in Wyoming, I would bet all of those have a lower crime rate than NYC does.

all with less gun control than NYC has too.
Again, you are just cherry-picking datas... let me guess... don't tell me: you are an NRA member, are you?
Are you going to tell me that there aren't low-crime areas in gun control states?

Hawaii?
Rhode Island?
Massachussets?
San Diego?
San Jose?
Manhattan?

Nice try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 06:18 AM

408 posts, read 214,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
I debunked this before...

Alaska had 29 gun homicides in 2011. The rate was 3.96 [29/731,449]. California had 1790 gun homicides in 2011. Their rate was 4.71. [1790/38,041,430]

FBI — Table 20
California QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
Alaska QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
But then the magic begins.

After running the state stats through their sausage machine where credit is given for strict gun law and demerits are assigned for "loose" gun laws, Alaska can come out the other side as ranked #2 for gun violence and California can finish at #40.

I downloaded the study and looked through it.

"The Center for American Progress is an independent nonpartisan educational institute dedicated to improving the lives of Americans through progressive ideas and action..... We develop new policy ideas, critique the policy that stems from conservative values, challenge the media to cover the issues that truly matter, and shape the national debate. "

How can you be nonpartisan if you state you promote progressive ideas and critique conservative values? That it's an arm of ThinkProgress should eliminate it as holding any legitimacy in the discussion of public policy.

The authors:

Arkadi Gerney was a special advisor and first deputy New York City Criminal Justice Coordinator for Mayor Bloomberg, where he managed Mayors Against Illegal Guns.

Chelsea Parsons was general counsel to the New York City Criminal Justice Coordinator where she developed and implemented legal frameworks in firearms policy for Mayor Bloomberg.

Charles Posner is the State Communications Assistant in the ThinkProgress War Room.

I couldn't put together a more biased threesome if I tried.

After skimming it I did a simple searh of the document. Amazingly the words "city" or "metro" or 'race" never appear.

Old 04-05-2013, 08:48 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,647,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeerleader View Post
But then the magic begins.

After running the state stats through their sausage machine where credit is given for strict gun law and demerits are assigned for "loose" gun laws, Alaska can come out the other side as ranked #2 for gun violence and California can finish at #40.

I downloaded the study and looked through it.

"The Center for American Progress is an independent nonpartisan educational institute dedicated to improving the lives of Americans through progressive ideas and action..... We develop new policy ideas, critique the policy that stems from conservative values, challenge the media to cover the issues that truly matter, and shape the national debate. "

How can you be nonpartisan if you state you promote progressive ideas and critique conservative values? That it's an arm of ThinkProgress should eliminate it as holding any legitimacy in the discussion of public policy.

The authors:

Arkadi Gerney was a special advisor and first deputy New York City Criminal Justice Coordinator for Mayor Bloomberg, where he managed Mayors Against Illegal Guns.

Chelsea Parsons was general counsel to the New York City Criminal Justice Coordinator where she developed and implemented legal frameworks in firearms policy for Mayor Bloomberg.

Charles Posner is the State Communications Assistant in the ThinkProgress War Room.

I couldn't put together a more biased threesome if I tried.

After skimming it I did a simple searh of the document. Amazingly the words "city" or "metro" or 'race" never appear.
Even if it is a progressive think tank, it doesn't mean the findings are meaningless. It's not like they can fudge the numbers. The crime statistics are what they are, and the Brady measure they used for the strength of a state's gun laws is publicly available, and is after all based on publicly viewable gun laws.

Old 04-05-2013, 08:50 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,819,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Even if it is a progressive think tank, it doesn't mean the findings are meaningless. It's not like they can fudge the numbers. The crime statistics are what they are, and the Brady measure they used for the strength of a state's gun laws is publicly available, and is after all based on publicly viewable gun laws.

Let me drum up some NRA studies and lets see if you have the same opinion.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:03 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by italianuser View Post
Are you able to write something that is not a catch-phrase from NRA's comic books?
P.S. crime in NYC is just a fraction than countless holes in gun-toting states. Some names? Cleveland, New Orleans, Birmingham, Cincinnati, Akron, Miami, Jacksonville, Detroit, Gary, Indianapolis, Youngstown, etc etc... Can I go on?
If you actually studied the history of crime in NYC you would know that the impressive drop in crime began during Rudy Guliani's time as mayor. He drove major initiatives to lower crime rates - all though changes in policing. The most significant issue was aggressive prosecution of small crimes that had previously been ignored. The theory was that allowing small crimes to continue lead criminals to commit bigger crimes.

These changes were very effective. They were not associated with changes in gun laws.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post

Let me drum up some NRA studies and lets see if you have the same opinion.
Go right ahead. The NRA to my knowledge doesn't even do research studies.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:10 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by italianuser View Post
Everytime there's a discussion about violence, republicans and conservatives have just one and only argument: Chicago.
Do you other arguments
Ok, do you realize that the thread was about States' murder rate?
Also, do you understand the difference between murder rate and number of homicides?
Anyway, if I was living in one of those States (thanks God I don't) I would be a little concerned about their high crime rates, rather than blathering BS about the Windy City... there are several cities in such states more violent than Chicago: never heard of New Orleans?
If you saw my earlier post - I showed you how many states, ranked very low by Brady for gun laws, have very low murder rates. Utah and New Hampshire are two examples. New Hampshire is even very close to Connecticut and NH's murder rate is less than one fourth of CT.

Compare California and Texas. California ranks #1 by Brady with a score of 80. Texas has a Brady score of 6. Yet murder by gun rates in California are higher than Texas. Overall violent crime rates are similar, though CA is ever so slightly higher. The two largest states, with highly diverse populations, big economies, with vastly different gun laws have similar murder rates.

Please explain how that can possibly be true since CA is considered by Brady to have the most restrictive gun laws in the USA?

Old 04-05-2013, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
If you actually studied the history of crime in NYC you would know that the impressive drop in crime began during Rudy Guliani's time as mayor. He drove major initiatives to lower crime rates - all though changes in policing. The most significant issue was aggressive prosecution of small crimes that had previously been ignored. The theory was that allowing small crimes to continue lead criminals to commit bigger crimes.

These changes were very effective. They were not associated with changes in gun laws.
The truth is that opposed to the idea that tighter gun control laws will have no effect, just about anything you do to address violence helps to some degree. It only makes sense.

Just about any measure you take to chip away at a problem is going to have some effect. It's unfortuante that so many people seem to see it as a black & white issue. Gun control = "they're comin' for all your guns!"---which is simply not true. Or, "criminals don't obey laws." Well, no, but if we made murder legal, would that solve anything? The threat of punishment and prison stops an awful lot of people from committing crimes. Tighter gun control laws work, not 100 %, because nothing works 100% of the time, but they do have an effect.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:15 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,819,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Go right ahead. The NRA to my knowledge doesn't even do research studies.
NRA-ILA | more guns less crime 2013

Old 04-05-2013, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
If you saw my earlier post - I showed you how many states, ranked very low by Brady for gun laws, have very low murder rates. Utah and New Hampshire are two examples. New Hampshire is even very close to Connecticut and NH's murder rate is less than one fourth of CT.

Compare California and Texas. California ranks #1 by Brady with a score of 80. Texas has a Brady score of 6. Yet murder by gun rates in California are higher than Texas. Overall violent crime rates are similar, though CA is ever so slightly higher. The two largest states, with highly diverse populations, big economies, with vastly different gun laws have similar murder rates.

Please explain how that can possibly be true since CA is considered by Brady to have the most restrictive gun laws in the USA?
Where are you getting your data on violent crime in California and Texas? Because I can't locate anything but totals, whereas what is needed in order to compare one state to another, is per capita crime statistics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies