Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2013, 10:42 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,260,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
Ah, the Bliss of Ignorance/Selectrive Enlightenment/Selective Indignation etc - a common thread to all *******s and DemocRATS.
Always classy, making fun of "retards." ! Have you mocked any other handicapped people today, Robin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 10:43 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,816,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
That logic doesn't hold. You can't just pretend Mexico's drug cartel problems don't exist. They have some of the deadliest cities in the world for gun violence. Russia also has a lot of organized crime.
Yet we have a drug and organized crime problem here as well. So it is a pretty good comparison.

Old 04-06-2013, 10:50 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,381,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
why???

why do liberals want to use strawmen and crap like that

why do liberals think that if a law isnt working they need to ADD ANOTHER LAW on top of it, or use the """Well then why don't we just get rid of all laws since criminals don't obey them?""" agruement, when debating

do liberals really think ADDING a law ON-TOP of an EXISTING law will make it MORE ILLEGAL, and make criminals stop their crimes

most gun crimes are done with guns ILLEGALLY OBTAINED by the criminal...they may have been bought legally by the original owner, by at the time of the crime they were illegal

the favorate weapon of gangs... the UZI, and the MAC10....both VERY DIFFICULT(nearly impossible) to purchase legally in the USA

no law (background check, tiny mags, assault type, etc) would have prevented those nut cases in Co, CT from doing thier mission

Please don't paint all "" progressives or "" liberals "" with such a broad brush.
I'm extremely socially liberal supporting GLBT rights, Same sex marriage, women's reproductive rights and universal healthcare.

I'm also an NRA life member and own over 100 firearms.
The only time I'm considered a gun grabber is when my heart races when I see a gun I want at a gun show.

My sister is lesbian and is a fire arms instructor specializing in teaching women the proper use of firearms for conceal carry permits.

She's also considered socially liberal.

If Republicans would stop the attempts at control of one's personal life by kicking the religious faction of their party to the curb then you would see a hell of alot more people join the GOP but until then you people like my sister and myself are stuck in the middle.

Old 04-06-2013, 10:51 AM

200 posts, read 273,866 times
Quote:
That logic doesn't hold. You can't just pretend Mexico's drug cartel problems don't exist. They have some of the deadliest cities in the world for gun violence. Russia also has a lot of organized crime.
That is the reason behind America's gun violence as well. Drugs.

As for murder rates, they are almost entirely gang-related. Your little graph proves nothing other than the fact that we have a high murder rate, many thanks to that gang element in our cities.

I recall a graph recently, I believe I posted it a month ago, showing the steep rise in violent crime in the UK following the 1998 handgun ban. It literally skyrocketed. So while we have a lot of gang violence, the odds of having your face kicked into the pavement on a Friday night out are significantly lower in the US than places like the UK. And unless you're in a gang, the odds of being murdered are ridiculously low.

Old 04-06-2013, 11:06 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,645,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsta View Post
That is the reason behind America's gun violence as well. Drugs.

As for murder rates, they are almost entirely gang-related. Your little graph proves nothing other than the fact that we have a high murder rate, many thanks to that gang element in our cities.

I recall a graph recently, I believe I posted it a month ago, showing the steep rise in violent crime in the UK following the 1998 handgun ban. It literally skyrocketed. So while we have a lot of gang violence, the odds of having your face kicked into the pavement on a Friday night out are significantly lower in the US than places like the UK. And unless you're in a gang, the odds of being murdered are ridiculously low.
That's true, there is a drug-trade related gang problem in the U.S.

Old 04-06-2013, 12:45 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,191,594 times
Quote:
That's true, there is a drug-trade related gang problem in the U.S.

the USA does not have a gun problem, we have a crime problem. taking firearms out of the hands of law abiding is doing nothing but making it easier for the criminals to do more crime.

Old 04-06-2013, 01:10 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
I sorta wonder where Montana is on that list...
However, I don't really care enough to look for it.

The Montana Constitution, Article II, Section 12. RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS. The right of any person to keep or bear arms in defense of his own home, person, and property, or in aid of the civil power when thereto legally summoned, shall not be called in question, but nothing herein contained shall be held to permit the carrying of concealed weapons.

However, Montana IS a "Will Issue" state. IF you are legally able to purchase a gun, your county Sheriff WILL issue a Concealed Carry Permit to you. A Hunter Safety Card or military discharge paper or passing a safety class may be required.
Montana is also an "Open Carry" state.
Montana had a bill before the legislature making it illegal for any Law Enforcement Officer in Montana to enforce any Federal Firearms law that could be considered in violation of the United States Constitution (it probably won't pass).
There was also a bill before the legislature that would have prevented any Federal officer from making an arrest or serving a warrant without notifying the local Sheriff. I don't know what became of it, but I bet they caved in on it, too.

Old 04-06-2013, 01:14 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,191,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post

The Montana Constitution, Article II, Section 12. RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS. The right of any person to keep or bear arms in defense of his own home, person, and property, or in aid of the civil power when thereto legally summoned, shall not be called in question, but nothing herein contained shall be held to permit the carrying of concealed weapons.

However, Montana IS a "Will Issue" state. IF you are legally able to purchase a gun, your county Sheriff WILL issue a Concealed Carry Permit to you. A Hunter Safety Card or military discharge paper or passing a safety class may be required.
Montana had a bill before the legislature making it illegal for any Law Enforcement Officer in Montana to enforce any Federal Firearms law that could be considered in violation of the United States Constitution (it probably won't pass).
There was also a bill before the legislature that would have prevented any Federal officer from making an arrest or serving a warrant without notifying the local Sheriff. I don't know what became of it, but I bet they caved in on it, too.

I still open carry in Wisconsin, it tends to rattle people and I dont really care. I am not doing anything illegal and when people call the cops, the cops come by, they see me, say hi and go on their way.

Old 04-06-2013, 03:21 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,645,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post

In the "America Under the Gun" report, Montana ranked 13th highest for gun violence. It has weak gun laws, scoring only 2 out of 100 on the Brady scoring of strength of state gun laws.

http://www.americanprogress.org/wp-c...erTheGun-3.pdf

Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence

Old 04-06-2013, 03:27 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,257,576 times
Quote:
In the "America Under the Gun" report, Montana ranked 13th highest for gun violence. It has weak gun laws, scoring only 2 out of 100 on the Brady scoring of strength of state gun laws.

http://www.americanprogress.org/wp-c...erTheGun-3.pdf

Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence
Wyoming had 11 gun homicides in 2011. That gives them a gun homicide rate close to 1.9. My city will have that many homicides in a week.

Wyoming QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
FBI — Table 20
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies