Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 11:16 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,786,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
So by your definition any rifle used in warfare is an asault rifle.
And this

Is that an early 20th century (pre 1910?) Model 1883? I'm looking for one myself.

Yes fbob would consider anything shooting a bullet would constitute an assault weapon, even if he won't admit it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 11:20 AM

23,866 posts, read 24,105,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Yes. Really.

The term "assault rifle" has been defined for quite some time, and any gun matching that description has been very heavily restricted since 1934.

The Clinton administration coined the term "assault weapon" when pushing the '94 ban. There's no doubt that the terms were intentionally confusing, so that helpless rubes without two brain cells to rub together would gleefully confuse look-a-like sporting rifles with true assault rifles and back the useless (as has been proven many, many times) legislation.

Only a complete bleeping idiot would agree that a Ruger Mini 14 ranch rifle falls into the same category as a Thompson ("tommy") submachine gun, but that's what yo.. er.. these bleeping idiots are doing.

Old 04-05-2013, 11:26 AM

23,866 posts, read 24,105,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
The Sturmgewehr44 was actually the first assault rifle, it was used in ww2 by Germany.

And here is a more specific definition for flordia.bob, just so we are all on the same page.

It must be an individual weapon with provision to fire from the shoulder (i.e. a buttstock);
It must be capable of selective fire;
It must have an intermediate-power cartridge: more power than a pistol but less than a standard rifle or battle rifle;
Its ammunition must be supplied from a detachable magazine rather than a feed-belt.
And it should at least have a firing range of 300 meters (1000 feet)
Rifles that meet most of these criteria, but not all, are technically not assault rifles despite frequently being considered as such. For example, semi-automatic-only rifles like the AR-15 (on which the M16 rifle is based) that share parts or design characteristics with assault rifles are not assault rifles, as they are not capable of switching to automatic fire and thus are not selective-fire capable. Belt-fed weapons or rifles with fixed magazines are likewise not assault rifles because they do not have detachable box magazines.
"Assault weapon" vs. "assault rifle", s4l. Bob will probably just claim that I'm exploiting semantics, but these are legal terms, and legal terms have very strict definitions. These two terms have very, very different meanings within the eyes of the law, and since laws are what we're discussing, that's what actually matters. Some people don't have the capability to argue reasonably, though, and stay within the boundaries of logic. I suspect we'll see evidence of that shortly.

Old 04-05-2013, 11:46 AM

3,160 posts, read 4,366,059 times
Quote:
You simply don't want it to be true. But that's OK.

the Constitution and BOR isnt a popularity contest.

I tell you what, lets repeal the 2nd, then lets go after the 13th and the 19th next,
its obvious people affected by those two amendments arent responsible enough to vote.
Its time for that to end.

screw obama.
screw everyone who thinks laws are about popularity contest.

ALL LAWS HAVE TO PASS CONSTITUTIONAL MUSTER.

if you think otherwise, you aint too bright.

Old 04-05-2013, 11:56 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post

Only a complete bleeping idiot would agree that a Ruger Mini 14 ranch rifle falls into the same category as a Thompson ("tommy") submachine gun, but that's what yo.. er.. these bleeping idiots are doing.

Hey, leave my "trench broom" alone. It has been almost 100 years since it went off by itself and killed someone.

You don't want to wake the dead, do ya?

Old 04-05-2013, 12:06 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,851,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Yes. Really.

The term "assault rifle" has been defined for quite some time, and any gun matching that description has been very heavily restricted since 1934.

The Clinton administration coined the term "assault weapon" when pushing the '94 ban. There's no doubt that the terms were intentionally confusing, so that helpless rubes without two brain cells to rub together would gleefully confuse look-a-like sporting rifles with true assault rifles and back the useless (as has been proven many, many times) legislation.

I know! After all, what would the gun industry in the early 1980s know about the gun industry, huh?

Old 04-07-2013, 05:26 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,344,311 times
Quote:
I know! After all, what would the gun industry in the early 1980s know about the gun industry, huh?
Spin, deflect, and spin again.

Old 04-07-2013, 07:04 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,851,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Spin, deflect, and spin again.
Here's more ...

Gabby Giffords: Join the fight for safer U.S. * - NY Daily News

Old 04-07-2013, 10:16 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,972,072 times
I got a little chuckle out of the discussion about the AR-15, M-16, and Nam.
When I went to Nam in 1966 with the 25th Infantry Division, we were armed with M-14s. I hated that gun! Since I spent a lot of time getting in and out of helicopeters (yes, that's what we called them), I hung the -14 on the wall and found an M-1 carbine to carry.
I never saw either an AR-15 or an M-16 from the time I got to Vung Tau until I flew out of Saigon for discharge.
I did, however, encounter the "Mattel-toy" M-16 later, as a member if the Guard and Reserve. Most of us considered them (the early ones) useless pieces of junk. I really don't understand the attraction they have. the M-1A is a much better weapon, IMO. Yes, it is heavier, and the ammunition is heavier, but it packs a PUNCH! And, a little dirt won't bother it! But, in infinite government wisdom, they wouldn't convert the M-1 Garand to the M-1A at a cost of a few hundred dollars each, (cost was dependent on whether they re-barrelled it to 7.62 instead of leaving it 30-06), they bought the M-14 for about three times the cost!

Thankfully, the gun control issue appears to be pretty much done for at the moment. Maybe the voters will have long enough memories to last until the mid-term elections, and perhaps we can get rid of some of the fools in Congress!
VOTE AGAINST THE INCUMBENTS!

Old 04-07-2013, 10:21 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,972,072 times
Quote:

I didn't read it all. I got to where she said that "90% of Americans support expanded background checks", and I left the link.
I just don't believe it!
In my part of America, very few people believe that doing a background check for every gun transfer will accomplish anything!
"Criminals, by definition, do not obey the law!"
What part of that is so very difficult to understand?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies