Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 03:57 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Is it because I'm white, educated and middle class? High school senior with 4.5 GPA sparks firestorm with scathing open letter to Ivy League schools that rejected her

This is what happens when diversity trumps qualifications.

What they fail to tell you is, she is very Conservative. The article was composed because affirmative action has restricted her liberties, based on race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 05:36 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,204,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
What they fail to tell you is, she is very Conservative. The article was composed because affirmative action has restricted her liberties, based on race.
How was she hurt by affirmative action? The truth is that her test scores and grades were very good but not exceptional, but she had almost nothing to make her stand out otherwise in terms of accomplishments. Honestly--my son's grades and scores were comparable, plus he had varsity sports and student council and a ton of volunteer work. He didn't even try to apply to the Ivy leagues because it would have been a long shot. He's also multiracial.

She didn't get in, just like the other 29 out of 30 kids who apply to those schools who also have really good grades and SOME accomplishments, but they're not exceptional. She wrote a sarcastic, satirical essay about the pretzel that kids twist themselves into to try to get into the very top tier schools, and how ridiculous it is. The truth is she's going to get into a very very good school--just not Harvard, Princeton or Yale--and she's going to do just fine.

One more thing--where are you guys coming up with the 4.5 gpa and the SAT score? It's not in her essay.

Last edited by mb1547; 04-05-2013 at 05:50 PM..

Old 04-05-2013, 07:16 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Where she wasn't so smart was in checking the race box. She could have checked the "hispanic" box and she'd have been given a free ride at any of the top colleges of her choice. They don't make you prove it, there is no DNA test for it. I know people who are having their kids check the hispanic box when applying to colleges and for scholarships.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:20 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times
She has a point. These top schools need to stick to being top schools and admit the best of the best respective of race, class etc.

This insane need to diversify is ridiculous. Ironically even if the schools did this she may have still been shut out because of Asians.

Last edited by EdwardA; 04-05-2013 at 07:56 PM..

Old 04-05-2013, 07:21 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Where she wasn't so smart was in checking the race box. She could have checked the "hispanic" box and she'd have been given a free ride at any of the top colleges of her choice. They don't make you prove it, there is no DNA test for it. I know people who are having their kids check the hispanic box when applying to colleges and for scholarships.
My very white friend from South Africa checked "African-American" on his application to college.
He was pretty smart and a state champion wrestler, too, so I don't know which one helped more getting him into a top school.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
She has a point. These top schools need to stick to being top schools and admit the best if the best of the best respective of race, class etc.

This insane need to diversify is ridiculous. Ironically even if the schools did this she may have still been shut out because of Asians.
Here's what I find interesting. If you can pay full tuition and you're a "legacy," meaning that your family also went to school there (and hopefully donated a bunch of money), you don't have to be the best of the best. You just have to at least meet the minimum requirements for admission, which aren't all that different than going to a state university. A year at Harvard as an undergrad is about $60K (or $240K for an undergraduate degree) If you want a scholarship, you've got to be exceptional. That's why the "diversity" issue is kind of a joke, because I promise you--the big chunk of kids there paying pull tuition (60%) are NOT minorities.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
How was she hurt by affirmative action? The truth is that her test scores and grades were very good but not exceptional, but she had almost nothing to make her stand out otherwise in terms of accomplishments. Honestly--my son's grades and scores were comparable, plus he had varsity sports and student council and a ton of volunteer work. He didn't even try to apply to the Ivy leagues because it would have been a long shot. He's also multiracial.

She didn't get in, just like the other 29 out of 30 kids who apply to those schools who also have really good grades and SOME accomplishments, but they're not exceptional. She wrote a sarcastic, satirical essay about the pretzel that kids twist themselves into to try to get into the very top tier schools, and how ridiculous it is. The truth is she's going to get into a very very good school--just not Harvard, Princeton or Yale--and she's going to do just fine.

One more thing--where are you guys coming up with the 4.5 gpa and the SAT score? It's not in her essay.
It was disclosed in follow up reports.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Here's what I find interesting. If you can pay full tuition and you're a "legacy," meaning that your family also went to school there (and hopefully donated a bunch of money), you don't have to be the best of the best. You just have to at least meet the minimum requirements for admission, which aren't all that different than going to a state university. A year at Harvard as an undergrad is about $60K. If you want a scholarship, you've got to be exceptional.
Legacies aren't automatic admits. I just think things have swung too far in one direction. I understand the desire to have diversity although the reasons often cited are overstated. The fact is that Harvard for example has been admitting Blacks for about 150 years the early Black admits didn't need affirmative action to gain admittance. So why do we need it now?

Old 04-05-2013, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
My very white friend from South Africa checked "African-American" on his application to college.
He was pretty smart and a state champion wrestler, too, so I don't know which one helped more getting him into a top school.
Being smart and a state champion wrestler. My kids wrestle, and the state champions always get great college offers, especially if they're decent students. Mine have unfortunately never won state, let alone even medaled.

Last edited by mb1547; 04-05-2013 at 08:04 PM..

Old 04-05-2013, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Legacies aren't automatic admits. I just think things have swung too far in one direction. I understand the desire to have diversity although the reasons often cited are overstated. The fact is that Harvard for example has been admitting Blacks for about 150 years the early Black admits didn't need affirmative action to gain admittance. So why do we need it now?
Legacies get extra points for admission, and if they have parent donors they get even more. We actually did a college visit/tour at Harvard for the heck of it because we were in the Boston area anyway. Most people don't realize that even with affirmative action, the ratio of black students in top tier schools is less than 10% across the board. It's not a big chunk of the student body, and all of them are exceptional students.

We would have obviously been in the "needs a scholarship" category. We can afford to pay for college for our kids, but not at $60K a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies