Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 05:53 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,257,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
Working the till at McDonald's requires more brainpower than most middle management positions, in addition to a host of other skills.
McD's doesn't even require you to speak English. Just take the order, make the food, give people food, and clean up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 05:53 PM

1,127 posts, read 903,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boner View Post
Yes thats it. I will go to work tommorow hang out in front of the place and cdemand they double my wages

good plan

If she has 7 dependents she is eligible for MASSIVE assistance
Extended family can include grandparents, parents, uncles, aunts, some idiots seem to think it's exclusively children, it's not

Old 04-04-2013, 05:54 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,777,001 times
Move to Texas then, the land of right to work and no payroll tax

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Seeing that there are fast food places in west Texas that pay 12 or more due to the oil boom, how do you figure 15 an hour in NYC is unreasonable?

Then again, you are the expert. After all, you researched your subject so much, you didn't even realize this was the case.

The Downsides Of Living In An Oil Boomtown : NPR

How DARE they demand to get paid more than their North Dakota counterparts in NYC!

Old 04-04-2013, 05:54 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
These type of jobs are designed for teenagers not to raise families they need a skill upgrade.
They are designed for teenagers, but more often than not, many adults end up working in those jobs.

Old 04-04-2013, 05:55 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Seeing that there are fast food places in west Texas that pay 12 or more due to the oil boom, how do you figure 15 an hour in NYC is unreasonable?

Then again, you are the expert. After all, you researched your subject so much, you didn't even realize this was the case.

The Downsides Of Living In An Oil Boomtown : NPR

How DARE they demand to get paid more than their North Dakota counterparts in NYC!
Because they can't get workers and have to offer that financial incentive.

In NYC workers are a dime a dozen and that's why their pay is low.

It's all about supply and demand.

Old 04-04-2013, 05:55 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,153,884 times
Just make sure you have those TPS reports ready by the end of the day, Peter.

Gosh you guys work hard. Industrious, I think that's the word I'm looking for in this situation. Yep, cruise on home in the Dodge, crack open a cold Bud Light and turn on ESPN after another hard day at the salt mines. Work, work, work, work, work...

Blazing Saddles - Work, Work, Work - YouTube

Old 04-04-2013, 05:57 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,405,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
It could go either way I guess, it was poorly written.

Ultimately, if she wants to make more money then she should get a better job. Learn a skill that is worth more than minimum wage. I have never worked for minimum wage my entire life (besides waiting tables but compensation was in the form of tips). I'm sure if she applied herself she could find a job paying more. Hell, I made $10 and hour 13 years ago when I was 16 swinging signs for real estate developments.
This seems to be very "old fashioned" and out-of-date thinking. THIS is not YEARS ago when you were 16. Our economy has changed enormously since you were 16. Someone who is motivated enough to start a movement, so to speak, to unionize, so they have enough power to bargain with a big company like McDonalds would most likely have already searched for other work making more money. Did it ever occur to you that there are very few jobs available these days which pay a lot more? Did it ever occur to you that it COSTS MONEY to get additional education or to learn new skills? WHERE DOES THAT MONEY COME FROM if you're making $7.25 per hour and have EXTENDED family to help out.

Btw, how long did you job for real estate developers last? Did you notice that we had a little glitch in the home building market not too long ago?

Old 04-04-2013, 05:58 PM

3,404 posts, read 3,448,351 times
The day mcdonalds pays $15 a hr is the day a big mac combo is $10 and its also the day mcdowells opens up for real just down the street with $7 big mics combos.

Old 04-04-2013, 05:59 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Is Elizabeth Warren on her way there to lend political support to their protest ?
I guess her talk riled them up.

Old 04-04-2013, 06:00 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Few things would make me happier than a full scale shut down of fast food restaurants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies