Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2013, 08:30 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
I don't support the idea of raising the minimum wage, because you know that our wages won't go up were minimum wage to increase. However, this is an interesting take. I mean, welfare more than likely is not going away, so if it means that by doing what you suggested could relieve taxpayers from supplementing workers with income and entitlements, then perhaps it could work. But as you said, only if they didn't raise the income leve to get those entitlements.
The various programs all have different income level requirements though.
I used to think it was all pegged off of poverty level but was surprised to find out that is not the case.
You see percentages over 100% of FPL.

In reality that means poverty is worse than what is being presented to us.

Federal Poverty guidelines range from 100% to 400%.

Federal Poverty Guidelines
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 08:36 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean71 View Post
A substantial portion of returning WW2 veterans became employed in factories during the peak of labor unions. Bargaining for wages and benefits lifted them into the lower rungs of middle-class. This remained effective for that brief period of time of low technology and when U.S. businesses did not have to compete with global producers. Despite this prosperity, about 20-25% of the U.S. population lived in poverty.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:38 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times
Great..... a happy meal will cost $65.99 now.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:39 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
I always wondered if they wanted double their hourly wage... are they going to pay part of the business expenses as well? Everyone deserves a living wage, not every job can offer one..

Old 07-31-2013, 08:44 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I think the minumun wage is just what it is.
back in 1979 the minimun wage was 2.65.
The Federal Minimum Wage in 1979 was $2.90.

http://www.dol.gov/whd/minwage/chart.htm

If that wage had kept pace with inflation, it would be $9.33, today.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:47 AM

1,140 posts, read 1,301,147 times
What steps have they taken though?

Do they have a cable bill? A cell phone bill? An X-Box account? Did they make a stupid decision and buy a car they cannot afford and have payments to make every month?

Do they share living accommodations? Why not? What is wrong with sharing an apartment or a house with another person and/or family?

This is one of the easiest ways to save money and build wealth.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by April Goodwin View Post
You are really an *******. Everyone deserves a living wage, dickweed.
LOL In that case lets give counter clerks salary in 10 figures... but I won't know what a happy meal will cost then........

Of course i don't need to know since the last time i was in a Micky D's or any other poison palace like one was before 1990, when I got sick of hangovers from eating a would be cheeseburger.

When the bottom wage goes up everything else goes up.

If you pay 1000 a month for rent it will sky rocket and 15 bucks an hour won't cut it then either. A 10 ounce bag of chips used to be 14 oz and then it cost $0.78 cents. Now with the NEW and Improved chips at 10 oz it cost nearly $3.00

Used to be you could buy a new air cooled VW Bug for about 4 grand...... What new car can you buy today for that? You can't even get a lawn tractor for that now.

Any increase in wages is just making the dollar worth less, and the dollar is almost worthless as it is now.

Too lazy to do the math but a few months ago i did, and found a silver dime was worth $2.07 each. So gasoline right now is a great deal if you could use silver.

For less than 20 cents you could buy a gallon of gas and get change back. The lowest i ever bought gas for was around 27 cents.

You younger people that never once held a dollar in your hands don't know squat. All you know is credit.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:53 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I always wondered if they wanted double their hourly wage... are they going to pay part of the business expenses as well? Everyone deserves a living wage, not every job can offer one..
If they doubled the hourly wage then Walmart would be reporting losses each quarter.
Double the wage and you also double the employer paid taxes.

They are cutting hours now at the current min wage. What do you think would happen if they double the min wage ?
Profits these days in the US are happening due to cuts in expenses, not increase revenue.

The revenue for these multinationals is not coming from US sales or Europe.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...venue/2116147/

Old 07-31-2013, 08:55 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Raise the minimum wage, and employers will have to raise wages of many, perhaps most, hourly wages for employees working above minimum wage. This is forgotten by most who try to minimize the economic cost of raising the minimum wage.

If a burger flipper or grocery store stocker gets a raise to $10/hr, the person currently doing a "better" job earning $10 will have to be paid more. Or else that will be de-motivated. That person may have more skill, have worked longer, or more training to earn $11/hr now. When the entry level trainee earns as much as the more skilled worker the employer has no choice but to raise the wages of many more.

The ripple probably wouldn't go to salaried workers - unless some hourly people end up with wages at or above the low end salaried people.

Dominoes will fall.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The Federal Minimum Wage in 1979 was $2.90.

http://www.dol.gov/whd/minwage/chart.htm

If that wage had kept pace with inflation, it would be $9.33, today.
I worked for the minimum at age 14 when the rate was 64 cents per hour.

I did roofing on real 40 foot wooden ladders too at 16 for about 5 bucks an hour which beat the hell out of the minimum. Hated those ladders for the bounce in the middle when you carried a whole bundle of shingles up.

I think it's a riot these kids thing flipping burgers is work...

Back in my day if a kid got a car it was a 200 dollar car and that kid needed to spend time getting dirty and spend money for just parts.

Kids these days don't need a car and beside their driving sucks. They can just barely manage automatic shift
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies