Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 07:02 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,138,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
McD's doesn't even require you to speak English. Just take the order, make the food, give people food, and clean up.
You're another genius. If you can show me any McDonald's in an overwhelmingly English-speaking city that hires cashiers who can't speak English, I'll give you a prize.

Would you like me to outline the "job" of a middle manager in blunt terms?

Leaving aside the abject uselessness of their "jobs," their entire lives are basically my worst nightmares: Living in some cookie-cutter neighborhood in some God-forsaken suburb with their bland, boring wives and their annoying kids, a trampouline in the back yard, every Friday night at the Olive Garden or Applebee's, golfing on Saturday with Chad, Jared, Trevor and your other terminally boring chums and then a shuffle into church on Sunday before a full tilt of NFL football in the afternoon.

This is your life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0618 View Post
The day mcdonalds pays $15 a hr is the day a big mac combo is $10 and its also the day mcdowells opens up for real just down the street with $7 big mics combos.
"They have the golden arches, we have the golden arcs."

Old 04-04-2013, 07:07 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,769,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
This seems to be very "old fashioned" and out-of-date thinking. THIS is not YEARS ago when you were 16. Our economy has changed enormously since you were 16. Someone who is motivated enough to start a movement, so to speak, to unionize, so they have enough power to bargain with a big company like McDonalds would most likely have already searched for other work making more money. Did it ever occur to you that there are very few jobs available these days which pay a lot more? Did it ever occur to you that it COSTS MONEY to get additional education or to learn new skills? WHERE DOES THAT MONEY COME FROM if you're making $7.25 per hour and have EXTENDED family to help out.

Btw, how long did you job for real estate developers last? Did you notice that we had a little glitch in the home building market not too long ago?
I got a better job before the real estate bubble, I did that job in 2000.

I have no sympathy for her. She could easily get a better job by applying herself. Even working harder at her current job to get a promotion.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
I got a better job before the real estate bubble, I did that job in 2000.

I have no sympathy for her. She could easily get a better job by applying herself. Even working harder at her current job to get a promotion.
You know nothing about retail, don't you?

Old 04-04-2013, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
You know nothing about retail, don't you?
I also worked in baskin Robbins in high school, made more than minimum wage. Worked at a grocery store during college, made more than minimum wage, worked at best buy as a second job 5 or so years ago, made more than minimum wage. So I know a bit about retail.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:14 PM

33,943 posts, read 22,378,531 times
Quote:
You're another genius. If you can show me any McDonald's in an overwhelmingly English-speaking city that hires cashiers who can't speak English, I'll give you a prize.

Leaving aside the abject uselessness of their "jobs," their entire lives are basically my worst nightmares: Living in some cookie-cutter neighborhood in some God-forsaken suburb with their bland, boring wives and their annoying kids, a trampouline in the back yard, every Friday night at the Olive Garden or Applebee's, golfing on Saturday with Chad, Jared, Trevor and your other terminally boring chums and then a shuffle into church on Sunday before a full tilt of NFL football in the afternoon.

This is your life?
You just described the middle class lifestyle. I take it you don't have kids?

Old 04-04-2013, 07:16 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,379,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Because they can't get workers and have to offer that financial incentive.

In NYC workers are a dime a dozen and that's why their pay is low.

It's all about supply and demand.
Well, I guess if NYC stops having such a large supply, that will created bigger demand and those jobs will start to pay more.....the entire reason for unions, to have more equality at the bargaining table.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:16 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,211,343 times
Quote:

This is your life?
To be a cashier in a predominantly English speaking city you need to speak English, but not to prepare the food. My point still remains that McD's doesn't require difficult skills.

Hi. May I take your order?
Would you like to upsize today?
That will be $8.50.
Thanks. Enjoy your meal.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
To be a cashier in a predominantly English speaking city you need to speak English, but not to prepare the food. My point still remains that McD's doesn't require difficult skills.

Hi. May I take your order?
Would you like to upsize today?
That will be $8.50.
Thanks. Enjoy your meal.
You don't even have to be able to add or subtract anymore. The computer does it all for you.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:19 PM

46,757 posts, read 25,681,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0618 View Post
The day mcdonalds pays $15 a hr is the day a big mac combo is $10 and its also the day mcdowells opens up for real just down the street with $7 big mics combos.
You seem to be in the know and I'm interested - How big of a percentage of a McD's meal (yeah, OK, a stretch there) is made up by the labor costs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies