Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 06:27 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Influenza - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bird flu has killed about 37 people a year, compared to 375,000 of normal flu. Running around yelling about bird flu when the regular flu kills over 10,000x that seems like a completely insane waste of time and energy...for almost 0 result.
That CDC number is statistical modeling done in 2003 with 1990 data.

CDC - Seasonal Influenza (Flu) - Questions and Answers Regarding Estimating Deaths from Influenza in the United States
CDC believes that the range of deaths over the past 31 years (~3,000 to ~49,000) is a more accurate representation of the unpredictability and variability of flu-associated deaths.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 06:28 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,000,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Is this yet another scary flu virus that I'm not, along with hundreds of millions of other people, will be fine against? I swear, during the height of the swine flu epidemic, I never got the vaccine, never contracted the swine flu even when I was in a crowded movie theater. The only time I ever got the flu was when I was vaccinated for it, go figure
Same here. Got sick as a dog about five years ago when I got the flu shot. Never again and never the flu again. I think the simple solution is to not sleep with your chickens.

Old 04-05-2013, 06:30 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Between "mad cow" and the "chicken of death" and "franken foods" we're going to become EXTINCT by killing ourselves off.

Old 04-05-2013, 06:36 PM

4,130 posts, read 4,460,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
That CDC number is statistical modeling done in 2003 with 1990 data.

CDC - Seasonal Influenza (Flu) - Questions and Answers Regarding Estimating Deaths from Influenza in the United States
CDC believes that the range of deaths over the past 31 years (~3,000 to ~49,000) is a more accurate representation of the unpredictability and variability of flu-associated deaths.
I guess, and? Even on the low end that's 100 people (1,000 on the high end) who die related to the flu for every 1 person that has been documented to have died from the bird flu. Ranting on a free forum dedicated to relocation and moving about how horrible bird flu is and ignoring what kills that much more is still completely insane.

Old 04-05-2013, 06:54 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,000,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Between "mad cow" and the "chicken of death" and "franken foods" we're going to become EXTINCT by killing ourselves off.
Nah global warming will get us all first.

Old 04-05-2013, 06:58 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,155,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Get ready for another scare from the feds. Couldn't come at a better time for dear leader. He needs something to blame the economic woes on.

"US health authorities said on Thursday they were liaising with domestic and international partners to develop a vaccine for the virus.
The Centres for Disease Control and Prevention, a US federal agency, said it was “gathering more information to make a knowledgeable public health risk assessment, and developing a candidate vaccine virus”.
According to the WHO, the animal source of the infection and its mode of transmission are not yet clear.
“We do not yet know enough about these infections to determine whether there is a significant risk of community spread,” the UN’s health agency said in an online H7N9 update.
Experts are concerned that the virus appears to have spread across a wide geographical area, with people sickened not only in Shanghai, but also the nearby provinces of Zhejiang, Jiangsu and Anhui.
“I am cautiously worried,” virologist John Oxford of the Queen Mary University of London said.
“If there were four cases in Shanghai, I would be much less concerned, but because it is so geographically widespread I think it is trying to tell us something.”

Death of Zhejiang farmer raises China's human bird flu toll to six | South China Morning Post
I swear to God, you may be making progress. At no point in your initial post to you invoke the name of Obama nor assign blame to him for this unfortunate development.

Whoops, I missed the reference to "dear leader." Darn, I thought we were making headway.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:28 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,116,580 times
LOLZ at ppl who claim to get sick from the shot....

NO you weren't sick (unless you got a titer done and confirmed you had flu) that is how our bodies work. Immunizations elicit an immune response, just like when you are infected like the real thing. Immune responses such as fevers, runny noses, etc. are healthy immune responses. Fevers elevate the body temp to deactivate bacterial or viral proteins and runny noses produce mucus which has the property of trapping and disposing of bad bacteria and viruses.

People don't realize but everything entering the body is quickly decided if it's "self" or "non-self". You got a shot, which tricks you body into eliciting an immune response specific for whatever strain they are hoping.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:34 PM

25,842 posts, read 16,522,667 times
Quote:
Same here. Got sick as a dog about five years ago when I got the flu shot. Never again and never the flu again. I think the simple solution is to not sleep with your chickens.
Same here, I will never get the flu shot again. I got sicknesses I never had in my life after getting the flu shot. Like pneumonia and bronchitis.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:38 PM

1,466 posts, read 1,228,957 times
I don't waste time worrying about these pandemics. It's never as big as it's supposed to be.

Although I will say during the height of the swine flu I got the worst flu (legit flu, not a stomach ache) I've ever had. I don't know if it was swine flu because I didn't go to the doctor, I just waited it out for a few days.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:44 PM

334 posts, read 450,970 times
Quote:
You did NOT get the "flu" from the shot, it is impossible.

You are right about not living with your livestock though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies