Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2013, 04:55 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Yes, it is often difficult for a librarian to read well.

I read the first few pages (of the now 12 pages of this thread), which included your replies that I quoted. Did I miss a later post, where you said you do NOT oppose allowing the MAP to be available without prescription to minors? If so, why are we even arguing about it?
Because the argument is that she should be able to do it with absolutely no adult intervention. I never argued I was against her getting the pill but rather I argued that it was wrong for her to get it without any sort of adult supervision. I noted in one post that I understood that might not always be the parent.

Quote:
Again, does that mean you do support this proposal? That is the only position I have "claimed is yours," in reality.
I do not support the proposal that she can just get the pill and that's that.

Quote:
Speaking of putting words into one's mouth, and making up positions for them - pot, meet kettle!
This is what is frustrating. I asked *if* these were your positions for clarification, I never once said they were. Do you understand the difference? (see my condensation coming out again?)

Quote:
I never said any of that, but do believe it's all a moot point when a girl is faced with needing the MAP. This is something that has to be used within 48 hours of unprotected sex, in order to prevent a pregnancy from occurring. It is not possible to "intervene" AFTER the fact, nor is it possible to analyze all of these issues in such a short time period. Most of the time a pregnancy scare scares those who aren't desiring a pregnancy, so no, I don't believe this will lead to them continuing irresponsible behavior. But even if it does, I'd rather see them using a contraceptive-type of device than resorting to multiple abortions or unwanted babies.
That has nothing to do with the question. You can still address the timing of the pill and the things I asked whether or note were a concern for you. She has taken the pill. You now believe it a moot point whether or not she goes out and continues to have unprotected sex. Is that what you are saying?

Quote:
See, I'm thinking more in terms of what is, and you are thinking more in terms of what should be... and while I do think a 13 year-old having sex (especially without protection) is a concern, keeping them from easily accessing this pill isn't the best solution for that problem. Education and PRE-interventions are a better idea, not withholding something that could safely prevent a pregnancy. Not to mention, "under 17" also includes 16 year-olds, who are more likely to be needing this than a 13yo.
Again, and you said you read at least some of my posts, I never said I would keep it from her so I have no idea why you would fall back to this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 04:57 AM

3,091 posts, read 3,967,215 times
We agree, Fin. I do think this is a positive drug for adults and for minors who are receiving guidance. I just wrote to Mikeetc so I won't duplicate it here.

When my oldest daughter was in high school in the last few months of her senior year, she was dating a guy we did not like, and they were getting a little too close. We did a preemptive strike, I talked to her about responsiblity to herself, took her to a doctor who offered her options, she made the choice. The thought of her having sex with that creep made our skin crawl, and to this day I don't know if they did, but at least she was protected and responsible and informed. She dumped him, thankfully, shortly thereafter.

As I sit here today, if I found out my 13 year old was having sex with me not knowing it, we'd be launching into a whole different mode, and life would drastically change. 13 years on this earth does not an adult mind make. I shutter to think there are 13, 14, 15 year olds out there making these decisions on their own.

Thanks for your response, Fin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I know you didn't ask me, but if I may...

Yes, I would prefer to be involved (if my daughter is younger than 16. At 16, 17 - I really don't think it's any of my business).

I'd obviously prefer her to wait and I'd prefer her to have the sort of relationship with me whereby she didn't try and hide life altering circumstances from me.

However, in the event that she did have unprotected sex and felt she couldn't come to me for whatever reason - then I'm absolutely okay with her getting the MAP without my knowledge. I think teenage pregnancy is a much worse (and potentially dangerous) outcome for her than keeping a secret from me.

Because ultimately, a potentially pregnant 15 year old is going to be a minor child for only 3 more years, but she's going to be a mother forever.

Old 04-06-2013, 05:06 AM

3,091 posts, read 3,967,215 times
You're missing the point. It's not a prolife issue. It's about young girls making decisions about their bodies without proper information and guided in the decision by someone other than their parents who love them and care about them. I understand some parents don't care. Many do. It's not a political issue. This applies to the children of Democrats and Republicans. Children first. Politics are way down the road in order of priority.

Quote:
FINALLY!! A pro-lifer who gets it!! It always boggles my mind how many "pro-lifers" fight everything that is proposed to reduce unwanted pregnancies - thus, reducing abortions too. That always strikes me as very hypocritical, but I guess they still believe "if we tell them not to have sex, and make contraception & information hard to get, they will stay virgins until marriage." Um, keep dreaming.

Old 04-06-2013, 05:55 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Only if they determine having tattoos and piercings is a benefit to society, by reducing unwanted pregnancies and increased population (including more welfare).

What a dumb analogy, LOL.

lots of liberals believe being socially acceptable to be part of the growing up process in schools. I am glad I dont have to put my 13 yo and 16 yo daughters through that crap anymore.

Old 04-06-2013, 06:20 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
I think this is a good idea.
Young girls who have a good enough relationship with her parent(s) that would allow asking to have this pill would probably already be using some form of birth control.
For that kid that is afraid to tell, who figures she'd be confined to quarters for the next 10 years (or worse) she'd probably ignore until having the kid or abortion was the only solution.

Old 04-06-2013, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Young girls who have a good enough relationship with her parent(s) that would allow asking to have this pill would probably already be using some form of birth control.
For that kid that is afraid to tell, who figures she'd be confined to quarters for the next 10 years (or worse) she'd probably ignore until having the kid or abortion was the only solution.
What do we do when she continues to have unprotected sex because she is too embarrassed to broach the subject and contracts Gonorrhea?

Old 04-06-2013, 06:49 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,948,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolac View Post
You're missing the point. It's not a prolife issue. It's about young girls making decisions about their bodies without proper information and guided in the decision by someone other than their parents who love them and care about them. I understand some parents don't care. Many do. It's not a political issue. This applies to the children of Democrats and Republicans. Children first. Politics are way down the road in order of priority.
That's a moral issue. Courts don't get involved in moral issues. Courts decide on matters of law.

In this case, there was an FDA regulation that called for this drug to be over-the-counter for those over 18 but prescription for those under 18. The evidence showed that there was no medically dictated rationale for that distinction. As such, the court ruled that the FDA's action was arbitrary and capricious. (Laws and regulations must be substantially related to an important government purpose in, order to be valid.)

Old 04-06-2013, 06:55 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,948,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
What do we do when she continues to have unprotected sex because she is too embarrassed to broach the subject and contracts Gonorrhea?
First, that's a hypothetical, courts don't get into "what if." They rule on cases in controversy.

Your argument seems to be that this drug shouldn't be widely available to those under 18 because a young girl knowing that she has pregnancy protection would be more apt to have sex and therefore more likely to contract STDs. Since there is no evidence any of that is actually true, it's merely a hypothetical.

Old 04-06-2013, 06:57 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I would guess you would do the same thing you would do if she contraced Gnororrhea without ever having used a morningafter pill.

Old 04-06-2013, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
First, that's a hypothetical, courts don't get into "what if." They rule on cases in controversy.

Your argument seems to be that this drug shouldn't be widely available to those under 18 because a young girl knowing that she has pregnancy protection would be more apt to have sex and therefore more likely to contract STDs. Since there is no evidence any of that is actually true, it's merely a hypothetical.
Once again someone that wants to create a position for me because they refuse to actually address my stated position.

It is NOT a hypothetical. It's happening all the time and going up.

“This report serves as a reminder that STDs pose an ongoing, serious health threat to millions of Americans,” Hillard Weinstock, MD, medical epidemiologist at the CDC, told Infectious Disease News.

“We are seeing increases across the board for chlamydia, gonorrhea and syphilis, and we continue to see the highest rates among the younger population in regards to chlamydia and gonorrhea.............

STD rates increasing in the United States | Infectious Disease News

If you would like to address this, great but if not don't make up positions for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies