Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2013, 11:30 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times

Advertisements

I stole this but found it funny.

New York courts rule that a young girl may buy the morning after pill without her parents consent. In a separate ruling they decided that she can not wash it down with a large Coke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 11:52 AM

13,419 posts, read 9,948,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I have no idea why you would offer your first part. I've never argued otherwise. And you have no clue as to when she is at the most risk. Each time she has unprotected sex the risk grows. I posted the link showing that STD's are increasing in this age group.

Your solution is to deal with it after she gets infected
What solution? After she gets infected with what? I'm not offering any solution at all to deal with STDs or too young sex. I'm purely arguing with you that getting pregnant is the worst possible outcome for a young girl with no means to raise a child, emotionally or financially. Getting pregnant is dangerous for young girls, that's the risk I would like to see mitigated. I'm not advocating them having sex unprotected or otherwise. This pill is emergency contraception, and should be used for just that. You keep bringing in all the other scenarios which need dealing with with separately - and prior to them having sex in the first place.

What have STDs got to do with this? This is emergency contraception. You would also get it if you'd had sex on the pill and forgotten to take it. Education in the use of condoms or abstinence to prevent STD's has nothing to do with the MAP.

Quote:
Again, I never argued it was. Does repeating yourself somehow do away with the other concerns? They are not real as long as you continue to repeat this?
I'm repeating myself because you continually fail to grasp what I'm saying.

The other concerns have nothing to do with taking a pill to prevent pregnancy when it's too late to turn back the clock. This pill is not going to make young girls go out and have sex 3 nights a week when they wouldn't have done otherwise. It's too expensive, they still have to go get it, and condoms are easier to obtain and cheaper. It at least gives a kid protection against ONE very real consequence even if it's too late for the others, but I highly doubt it's existence is going to be the driver that causes them to have more sex or even sex in the first place.

Old 04-06-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
What solution? After she gets infected with what?
Why do people who do not want to address the subject do this?

Old 04-06-2013, 12:15 PM

13,419 posts, read 9,948,375 times
Quote:
Why do people who do not want to address the subject do this?
What are you talking about?? The subject is not STDs. The subject is emergency contraception.

Can you please connect the dots between taking a pill the day after you've had sex to prevent PREGNANCY and STDs.

My solution for STDs, is to give condoms to each and every kid and teach them how to use them. And if they had a pill to stop STDs the next day I'd give them access to that too.

But STDs are not the topic of this thread, so I don't see why you keep harping on about them.

Old 04-06-2013, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
What are you talking about?? The subject is not STDs. The subject is emergency contraception.

Can you please connect the dots between taking a pill the day after you've had sex to prevent PREGNANCY and STDs.
I have many, many times in this thread.

Old 04-06-2013, 12:45 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well that makes it even worse if 8-9 year olds are now having sex doesn't it ?
That's third grade.

But I didn't post that link to report on 8-9 year olds but to back up my post on 12 year olds.
Nevertheless, that's what the link said. Frankly, I think many of those kids are probably lying. When I think of how small my daughters were at 8/9, especially the younger one, there's no way they could have had sex that was remotely pleasurable. And boys can't usually have sex that young.

Old 04-06-2013, 01:08 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
We are a bundle of contradictions, aren't we? Can't give a kid a Tylenol for a sore muscle but we can give them dosages of hormones high enough to mess up their menstrual cycles for months (one of the side effects of the MAP). Just doesn't make sense, does it?

If the MAP is available to minors so should anything else they want to take. If my child is old enough to take MAP, she's old enough to decide if she needs an aspirin....at least you'd think she would be. I teach teenagers and I'm not allowed to so much as give them a cough drop without parental consent. This makes no sense.
Since when aren't children/teens allowed to take or purchase Tylenol? Maybe I'm mistaken, but pretty sure no pharmacy or store restricts those items by age... so your point is moot.

P.S. Getting pregnant would REALLY mess up their menstrual cycles, way more than taking the MAP!

Old 04-06-2013, 01:12 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Nevertheless, that's what the link said. Frankly, I think many of those kids are probably lying. When I think of how small my daughters were at 8/9, especially the younger one, there's no way they could have had sex that was remotely pleasurable. And boys can't usually have sex that young.
The article was about low income families, not middle class families.
Night and day difference Kat.

When I first went into low income schools I was shocked to hear some stories.
I didn't believe them but the teachers told me that life is different in these communities.

I am middle class and my son went to middle class schools and I volunteered there a lot.
I went into low income schools with a middle class mindset.

There's drugs, crime, dysfunctional families and so much more that effects many of the students in these schools.

Last week I was helping some HS seniors with their college forms and they were chit chatting and mentioned one of their peers who had dropped out and just had her 4th child at 17.
They must have seen the look on my face and told me her second pregnancy was twins and that she didn't get pregnant 4 times. Like that was supposed to put me at ease ?
It's accepted among them and that's scary.

Old 04-06-2013, 01:27 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The article was about low income families, not middle class families.
Night and day difference Kat.

When I first went into low income schools I was shocked to hear some stories.
I didn't believe them but the teachers told me that life is different in these communities.

I am middle class and my son went to middle class schools and I volunteered there a lot.
I went into low income schools with a middle class mindset.

There's drugs, crime, dysfunctional families and so much more that effects many of the students in these schools.

Last week I was helping some HS seniors with their college forms and they were chit chatting and mentioned one of their peers who had dropped out and just had her 4th child at 17.
They must have seen the look on my face and told me her second pregnancy was twins and that she didn't get pregnant 4 times. Like that was supposed to put me at ease ?
It's accepted among them and that's scary.

I have worked in public health. I have taught teen parenting. I have been in plenty of poor people's homes. 8 and 9 year old girls are not capable of having consensual sex. Some few girls get their periods at 9, but not many, and even then, I doubt if they're ready for consensual sex. Boys generally mature sexually later than girls. Boys generally reach "spermarche" (producing sperm) at age 11-16. A 9 year old boy having sex would be a real outlier.

Publication: Understanding the Physical Changes of Puberty

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 04-06-2013 at 01:46 PM..

Old 04-06-2013, 01:44 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Since when aren't children/teens allowed to take or purchase Tylenol? Maybe I'm mistaken, but pretty sure no pharmacy or store restricts those items by age... so your point is moot.

P.S. Getting pregnant would REALLY mess up their menstrual cycles, way more than taking the MAP!
In school. A student cannot go to the nurse's office and ask for a tylenol.
The bottle has to be sent to school from home and parent's consent on file.

And you cannot buy cough medicine without asking the pharmacist and if you look young enough they will ask you for ID.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies