Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2013, 10:38 AM

15,701 posts, read 17,032,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The kids are being educated and have been for years now.
STDs are not being portrayed the way they used to be with the scare tactics and gory pictures.

If they are having unprotected sex then they already stepped beyond the line of "considering the consequences" of their action.

Many just don't have the money or transportation and they all have that invincible mindset of "it won't happen to me".
Why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 10:38 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,423,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
They will get into trouble all right.....they will get pregnant because they are afraid of their parents finding out that they are having sex.
Not with the lower economic scale families. Kids having kids is generational.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:40 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,086,939 times
What does this morning after pill cost?

I can see this as a good way to cut down on the amount of young girls having babies, and also as a good way to increase the spread of STDs.

With not having to worry about having a baby, I think half the reason to use a condom is removed.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:42 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,150,874 times
Quote:
I am 59.

I don't understand what you are getting at.

Are you implying that 15 year olds in my day were smarter than they are today?
Smarter? That's not likely the right word. I did not know a single girl that wanted to get pregnant when I was at that age. It was the last thing they wanted. (I'm 51).

Now we have girls that have that as their goal. This isn't the majority but the thinking most certainly has changed.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
When was the last time you were in the public schools ?

It is way different today. You have not seen what NCLB has done over the last decade.
I am not talking about sexual standards.....I am talking about intelligence.

When I was 15 I was perfectly capable of reading a label and understanding what I was reading.

And...... I thought way beyond what I was going to do next weekend.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Smarter? That's not likely the right word. I did not know a single girl that wanted to get pregnant when I was at that age. It was the last thing they wanted. (I'm 51).

Now we have girls that have that as their goal. This isn't the majority but the thinking most certainly has changed.
I have to agree with you about that.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowitsshowtime View Post
What does this morning after pill cost?

I can see this as a good way to cut down on the amount of young girls having babies, and also as a good way to increase the spread of STDs.

With not having to worry about having a baby, I think half the reason to use a condom is removed.
I don't know. When I google it, it says between $10 and $70.

I don't know where everyone is coming up with the $50 price tag.

Also, I don't think that many teens are all of a sudden going to decide to have unprotected sex just because MAP is now available.

We can't set standards based on what a few might do, can you imagine if we did?

Old 05-02-2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Not with the lower economic scale families. Kids having kids is generational.
So why not at least try to educate the kids differently? Let them see there is another way than what they see and learn/don't learn at home.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
I don't know. When I google it, it says between $10 and $70.

I don't know where everyone is coming up with the $50 price tag.

Also, I don't think that many teens are all of a sudden going to decide to have unprotected sex just because MAP is now available.

We can't set standards based on what a few might do, can you imagine if we did?
We would have the current gun debate.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:55 AM

Quote:
So why not at least try to educate the kids differently? Let them see there is another way than what they see and learn/don't learn at home.
The government tells them that when they get pregnant you will get a check from the government. Have another and we will get you free housing and a bigger check.

It's not just parents sending the wrong message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies