Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 05:44 PM

13,423 posts, read 9,955,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Bite me. I won't back off. If you want to make it easier for a person to rape a minor in this fashion that is your problem, not mine.
You know absolutely nothing about it, because if you did - you would realize that parents that rape their children aren't waiting around for the MAP to give them permission, or to make it "easier".

And using kids that go through this to make your stupid and inaccurate point is disgusting.

At the very least, this gives abused girls some way to have control over their destiny that isn't mandated by their grim family circumstances. Because the other thing you're missing here, making your inaccurate and useless point - is that sometimes Mom doesn't give a rat's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 05:44 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
I actually have no problem with restricting minors from purchasing over-the-counter medicines, just so long as we treat this drug the same as any other that has been approved for sale. The problem here is that the religious busybodies are eternally vigilant in seeking any way they can to prevent people from having consequence-free sex. They hate that. They will contrive any means necessary to prevent it. If they were being honest and were truly interested in protecting children, they would simply try to advance laws that ban the sale of any OTC drugs to children without parental permission. Unfortunately, much like they aren't really interested in unborn "children," they aren't all that interested in born children. What interests them is their behavior. Above all else, they wish to control the behavior of others.
Rep to you!

Old 04-05-2013, 05:46 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
I actually have no problem with restricting minors from purchasing over-the-counter medicines, just so long as we treat this drug the same as any other that has been approved for sale. The problem here is that the religious busybodies are eternally vigilant in seeking any way they can to prevent people from having consequence-free sex. They hate that. They will contrive any means necessary to prevent it. If they were being honest and were truly interested in protecting children, they would simply try to advance laws that ban the sale of any OTC drugs to children without parental permission. Unfortunately, much like they aren't really interested in unborn "children," they aren't all that interested in born children. What interests them is their behavior. Above all else, they wish to control the behavior of others.
Actually it was an HHS ruling in 2011 that prevented minors from getting it, not the religious busybodies.
From the OP link:

The order overturned a 2011 decision by Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius to require a prescription for girls under 17.

Old 04-05-2013, 05:47 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,477,038 times
Quote:
We know for an absolute fact that young girls are raped by a parent sometimes for years because the girl is too scared or embarrassed to tell her mother.

This allows the male to give her a few bucks to take care of it and remember, do not tell your mom.
Dysfuntional ouliers should not be used to dictate what functional individuals do.

[like every father would become a monster because of the MAP]

Old 04-05-2013, 05:49 PM

The morning after pill is already out there and available without a prescription in vending machines on college campuses.
There's no required proof of age before buying it there although you have to put $25 in the machine to get one pill.

Old 04-05-2013, 05:54 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
You know absolutely nothing about it, because if you did - you would realize that parents that rape their children aren't waiting around for the MAP to give them permission, or to make it "easier".
No they aren't and I never argued that this was the reason this stuff happens. I argued it would make it easier for a molester to hide what he was doing. It gives him less of a reason to consider, even if he can't stop himself, for not doing it.

Quote:
And using kids that go through this to make your stupid and inaccurate point is disgusting.

At the very least, this gives abused girls some way to have control over their destiny that isn't mandated by their grim family circumstances. Because the other thing you're missing here, making your inaccurate and useless point - is that sometimes Mom doesn't give a rat's.
I would NOT stop her from getting this as long as it's reported to someone. Someone needs to intervene when a 12,13, 14 year old and perhaps even older than that, child is having sex.

Old 04-05-2013, 05:54 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,156,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Actually it was an HHS ruling in 2011 that prevented minors from getting it, not the religious busybodies.
From the OP link:

The order overturned a 2011 decision by Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius to require a prescription for girls under 17.
The reason a drug such as this carries with it such a requirement is the pressure exerted by the busybodies.

Again, I have no particular opposition to requiring parental approval prior to purchasing OTC medications. My problem is picking particular drugs because religious busybodies have beefs with them.

Old 04-05-2013, 05:57 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Dysfuntional ouliers should not be used to dictate what functional individuals do.

[like every father would become a monster because of the MAP]
Yet this seems to be (I do not want to derail this discussion but I have to note the irony) that is the exact argument people use to ban guns.

Even when not a dysfunctional situation a parent needs to know when a kid is having sex. If the kid is getting pregnant, obviously they are not taking the precautions to stop STD's including AIDS and things that can cause her from getting pregnant when she is older and more ready for pregnancy.

Old 04-05-2013, 06:00 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,477,038 times
Quote:
Yet this seems to be (I do not want to derail this discussion but I have to note the irony) that is the exact argument people use to ban guns.

Even when not a dysfunctional situation a parent needs to know when a kid is having sex. If the kid is getting pregnant, obviously they are not taking the precautions to stop STD's including AIDS and things that can cause her from getting pregnant when she is older and more ready for pregnancy.
Agreed.

[and I support the 2nd Amendment so the individuals who use that argument - have no argument]

Old 04-05-2013, 06:06 PM

Quote:
The reason a drug such as this carries with it such a requirement is the pressure exerted by the busybodies.

Again, I have no particular opposition to requiring parental approval prior to purchasing OTC medications. My problem is picking particular drugs because religious busybodies have beefs with them.
How did the religious folks influence HHS to overrule the FDA ?

Sebelius said that there were significant cognitive and behavioral differences between an 11 year old and a 17 year old and that's why she over ruled the FDA recommendation.

I tend to agree with her that a 5th grader (11 years old) does not have the same sense of personal responsibility that a HS junior (17 year old) would have. But a judge thinks differently.

A Statement by U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies