Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2013, 08:19 PM

13,423 posts, read 9,955,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
No they aren't and I never argued that this was the reason this stuff happens. I argued it would make it easier for a molester to hide what he was doing. It gives him less of a reason to consider, even if he can't stop himself, for not doing it.
Okay. I'm not sure I agree, and I really don't think that consideration outweighs the benefit of the girl's ability to get the MAP if she needs it, but I can see where you're coming from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I would NOT stop her from getting this as long as it's reported to someone. Someone needs to intervene when a 12,13, 14 year old and perhaps even older than that, child is having sex.
Well I tend to agree, however I think the problem there is that if she had to tell someone she just wouldn't get the MAP at all and would take the risk of getting pregnant. Kids in that position would see the horror of getting found out as worse than the vague possibility (to them) of pregnancy. I think you'd just end up in the same situation. If they had to tell someone in order to get the pill then they just won't get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 08:20 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I agree but I think there may be a lot of unintended pregnancies because they thought they could get the MAP and couldn't pay for it or, pehaps, can't muster up the courage to actually go into the store and buy it. I can't get my girls to buy sanitary napkins...

When kids think they have a way out, they're more careless with their actions. However, they, most likely, won't even have thought about the cost of the MAP until it's too late. I can see kids having unprotected sex because of MAP and I can see kids who wouldn't have had sex having sex because they know it's there. The question is how many of them will actually use it?
Oh, dear Lord! There's a reason this is "Plan B". "Plan A" is supposed to be condoms, or diaphragm or some other method. You are the one who thought the same thing about the HPV vaccine (and said you'd rather your kids got cancer than the vaccine!), yet that has been disproven. Kids aren't going to have unprotected sex b/c they can all of a sudden buy "Plan B". The ones who are going to have sex will have it regardless.

http://www.aap.org/en-us/about-the-a...No+local+token

Old 04-05-2013, 08:21 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The price varies..$35-$60 depending where you get it.

Report finds more US women are using the morning-after pill | Fox News
$35 for most kids under 16 is steep and even at 16 that's an 6 hour shift at minimum wage after taxes. I fear we're going to see a spike in teen pregnancies because of this. We saw one when Roe vs. Wade was passed. The more ways out we give kids, the more they'll experiment.

Old 04-05-2013, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Oh, dear Lord! There's a reason this is "Plan B". "Plan A" is supposed to be condoms, or diaphragm or some other method. You are the one who thought the same thing about the HPV vaccine (and said you'd rather your kids got cancer than the vaccine!), yet that has been disproven. Kids aren't going to have unprotected sex b/c they can all of a sudden buy "Plan B". The ones who are going to have sex will have it regardless.
They quite likely will. There is now less risk to unprotected sex. The problem is, they may not be able to afford plan B.

Please link to the post you're referring to where I said the HPV vaccine would result in girls having more sex. I don't recall saying that.

And post the rest of what I said about cervical cancer please. 95% of women who get the virus simply develop immunity. The vaccine is only 70% effective at best. (natural immunity is better) Pap smears detect cancers early enough to easily treat them (remember I had cervical cancer diagnosed during a routine pap at 19. It was promptly treated and cured.). My concern was that women wouldn't get pap smears thinking they were protected by the vaccine. That has NOT been proven false. We have to wait until the women who are vaccinated are of age that they're developing cervical cancers, in significant numbers, to see if there are more cancer fatalaties due to the vaccine (because women didn't get the pap smear and did get cancer but it wasn't caught in time to treat it). Unless you have a time machine, you can't prove this false yet (your wishful thinking does not make it so). Yes, I'm concerned that the vaccine will give women a false sense of security. Yes, I fear they then will not be as dilligent about getting pap smears and yes, that could lead to higher cervical cancer fatalaties. Fewer cases with a lower cure rate isn't a good thing.

Old 04-05-2013, 08:24 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:

HPV Vaccination Does Not Lead to Increased Sexual Activity
Well, this Plan B is too convenient and more women are using it rather than other methods.

I just posted a link that says its use is on the rise with some women having taken it multiple times.

Old 04-05-2013, 08:29 PM

22,662 posts, read 24,605,343 times
LOL, and the Phonycons are having a fit over Maryjane!

Last edited by tickyul; 04-05-2013 at 08:49 PM..

Old 04-05-2013, 08:30 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Well I tend to agree, however I think the problem there is that if she had to tell someone she just wouldn't get the MAP at all and would take the risk of getting pregnant. Kids in that position would see the horror of getting found out as worse than the vague possibility (to them) of pregnancy. I think you'd just end up in the same situation. If they had to tell someone in order to get the pill then they just won't get it.
It wouldn't necessarily have to be a parent. I am not willing to trade off the ability to keep a secret with the idea that her health is indeed at risk by continuing to have unprotected sex.

Old 04-05-2013, 08:40 PM

Quote:
They quite likely will. There is now less risk to unprotected sex. The problem is, they may not be able to afford plan B.

Please link to the post you're referring to where I said the HPV vaccine would result in girls having more sex. I don't recall saying that.

And post the rest of what I said about cervical cancer please. 95% of women who get the virus simply develop immunity. The vaccine is only 70% effective at best. (natural immunity is better) Pap smears detect cancers early enough to easily treat them (remember I had cervical cancer diagnosed during a routine pap at 19. It was promptly treated and cured.). My concern was that women wouldn't get pap smears thinking they were protected by the vaccine. That has NOT been proven false. We have to wait until the women who are vaccinated are of age that they're developing cervical cancers, in significant numbers, to see if there are more cancer fatalaties due to the vaccine (because women didn't get the pap smear and did get cancer but it wasn't caught in time to treat it). Unless you have a time machine, you can't prove this false yet (your wishful thinking does not make it so). Yes, I'm concerned that the vaccine will give women a false sense of security. Yes, I fear they then will not be as dilligent about getting pap smears and yes, that could lead to higher cervical cancer fatalaties. Fewer cases with a lower cure rate isn't a good thing.
This is not a thread about the HPV vaccine and I'm sorry I brought it up. You are woefully uninformed on this subject, and unless you start a thread about it, I'm not going to discuss it. I'm not going to hijack this one.

I did a search and couldn't find a post where you explicitly said HPV vaccine would increase sexual activity in kids. I'll let it go at that.

Old 04-05-2013, 08:45 PM

Quote:
This is not a thread about the HPV vaccine and I'm sorry I brought it up. You are woefully uninformed on this subject, and unless you start a thread about it, I'm not going to discuss it. I'm not going to hijack this one.

I did a search and couldn't find a post where you explicitly said HPV vaccine would increase sexual activity in kids. I'll let it go at that.
No, you're the one misinformed. When I talked with dd's doctor, he had no answers for my concerns. The vaccine simply does too little for the risk. Period and because it can give a false sense of security, it could result in fewer women getting pap smears and the cancers that do develop being deadly because they were not caught early. Vaccination will have accomplished nothing if hte 30% of cancers it does not offer any protection against increase in severity because routine tests are not being done.

So you just made the part up about me saying gardasil use would cause more unprotected sex. Nice debate tactic there.

As for plan B....knowing there is a plan B may very well result in someone having unprotected sex who wouldn't have otherwise...which could spread any of the 90+ HPV strains that gardisil doesn't protect against...or the ones it does given protection isn't 100%.....Increasing sex and sexual activity starting earlier also increase cancer rates.

Old 04-05-2013, 08:52 PM

Quote:
No, you're the one misinformed. When I talked with dd's doctor, he had no answers for my concerns. The vaccine simply does too little for the risk. Period and because it can give a false sense of security, it could result in fewer women getting pap smears and the cancers that do develop being deadly because they were not caught early. Vaccination will have accomplished nothing if hte 30% of cancers it does not offer any protection against increase in severity because routine tests are not being done.

So you just made the part up about me saying gardasil use would cause more unprotected sex. Nice debate tactic there.
You are extremely anti-gardasil. We've been on a lot of threads together, including one where you shocked me by saying you'd rather your kids get CANCER than get the vaccine.
My daughter had cancer 11 years ago and I still think about it every single day. That is an INSANE statement.

Many people have said that the vaccine will increase promiscuity, which has found to be nonsense. I got confused with your antigardasil statements and thought you were one of them. Mea culpa! Is that enough for you to stop this *()^__$$ hijack?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies