Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2013, 12:53 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,594,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
Imagine for a second if Martin had been driving a car, following Doofus, or, better yet, Doofus's wife. Imagine if the roles had been reversed. Just imagine how different the reaction would be from the resident geniuses. I'll go out on that last remaining limb and hazard a guess that they would not be demanding that we reserve judgment on the shooter, Martin, until adjudication.
If Martin was carrying a legal weapon and part of a neighborhood watch, self-proclaimed or not, and Martin's wife was running around in the rain acting strangely, with drugs in her system, and there were reports of break-ins by white women, then I would not fault Martin for investigating. If his wife attacked Martin and banged his head on the ground and was shot, I would, at the very least, ask for a fair trial. I have seen plenty of crazy, drug-influenced white women in my day (and was bitten by one), so I wouldn't ask for anything more or less than a fair trial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 01:03 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Why was Zimmerman even there?
I didnt think one needed permission to be on a public street. Where do you live that is true, Russia?

Old 04-06-2013, 01:05 AM

5,767 posts, read 5,015,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
100% hearsay, which is why hearsay is inadmissible as a rule. Who comes out and says "I'm a racist"? Few people outside of members of the Aryan nation, I suspect.

Hearsay, but a sworn statement and one that tells the public something about Zimmerman's background.
Perhaps racists in New England are still held by public convention to keep their beliefs secret, but here and in many other places people have no problem taking pride in their foolishness, just as the young woman said: "Loud and proud."

Old 04-06-2013, 05:41 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
If my kid's death was a result of my kid brutally attacking someone else... I would not sue. I would be embarrassed thinking I had somehow failed my kid with my parenting. As a matter of fact, I would fear the attacked victim suing me for my failed parenting because the victim would be the person my kid attacked, not my dead kid.

I think a little perspective is in order. So far it appears that GZ did nothing illegal prior to the attack. Wanting to know who is in your neighborhood is not illegal. Following them while requesting assistance from the police is not illegal. Physically attacking, assaulting someone IS illegal.

How about we wait until after the trial before convicting George Zimmerman.
How about we admit that if someone killed our teen-age son - we would want at least one million dollars and maybe more?

How about that? You say you wouldn't sue ~ do you have children?

Sounds to me like you've already convicted Trayvon Martin ~ per your very first sentence. How about we wait for the trial?

Old 04-06-2013, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Go argue with the Department of Labor

53302 - Insurance Adjusters, Examiners, and Investigators - ONET Job Description - Occupational Information Network

Investigate, analyze, and determine the extent of insurance company's liability concerning personal, casualty, or property loss or damages, and attempt to effect settlement with claimants.
Well - now you are talking about insurance adjusters. That's different from an actuary, no?

Of course, an insurance adjuster will be involved - they aren't making that final call without a lot of legal help.

Old 04-06-2013, 05:42 AM

155 posts, read 110,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
If I knew who you guys were referring to your comments might be remotely meaningful, unfortunately I only know who John Walsh is and I'm not really fond of his profiting from the death of his son.
John Walsh=not really fond

The Martin family=uncivilized,money hunger.....etc.

Old 04-06-2013, 05:47 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
Sounds like the parents sued the Home Owners' Association, NOT Zimmerman. The HOA settled to avoid the costs of further litigation. Sounds like the HOA wanted to get this behind them prior to the trial; if Zimmerman should be convicted, it could have made their position even more difficult resulting in having to pay a much higher amount to get a settlement.

My impression from reading your post is that O'Mara was just commenting as an outside observer, not as an attorney of record in that case.

Also, the reporter of that piece got it wrong. There is no hearing scheduled for April. Zimmerman waived his right to an immunity hearing. Trial starts June 10.

yes, but when george is declared innocent, then the HOA would have paid out money for no reason at all.

Old 04-06-2013, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
yes, but when george is declared innocent, then the HOA would have paid out money for no reason at all.
Not necessarily. OJ won his criminal trial and lost his civil case. The rules are different.

Old 04-06-2013, 05:53 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Not necessarily. OJ won his criminal trial and lost his civil case. The rules are different.

I already know this, but OJ's case was quite abit different. when you look at what the jury saw in OJ's case, i would have declared him not guilty too. but if the jury would have seen everything the court saw, i think OJ would have been convicted.

plus floridas civil laws might be quite a bit different than californias civil laws concerning lawsuits.

Old 04-06-2013, 05:58 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,242,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Why was Zimmerman even there?
Playing policeman.
Quote:
The neighbourhood watch captain who shot dead an unarmed black teenager last month wanted to be a police officer and called 911 nearly 50 times within the last year, according to new reports.

Read more: Trayvon Martin shooting: George Zimmerman 'wanted to be a cop' | Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies