Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 07:54 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,284,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
I'd like to see links to where someone here has shot someone, then said it was no big deal.

You can't back up what you said with links to those posts? You just made it up?

That's what I thought.
Read for comprehension for a change, Dale. Your vaunted IQ ought to be able to help you see your error.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2013, 07:58 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,254,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
If my son was killed I would want the responsible one in prison. I could care less about money. But I guess thats just me.
If my child was killed, I would want justice anywhere and everywhere I could find it.

Old 04-13-2013, 07:59 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,407,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
You wouldn't hire a wrongful death attorney the day after you found out about the death and a PR guy one week later? And then send a letter of intent to sue the HOA 15 days later?

The PR guy and intent to sue letter so quick are the things that really puzzle me. They have nothing to do with assisting in the investigation to get justice for your son.
It wasn't the son of the attorney who was killed. That's why he was doing what, in his expertise, was best for his clients, the Martins. They were in shock and grieving. Apparently the Martins have/had very good friends who were able to help them through that time by giving them good advice. You continue to imply that the Martins thought of all these things on their own when all they really did was hire an attorney to help them with issues they had no experience dealing with. Also HOW do you know the details of everything Crump did from the moment he was hired? Do you think this man is/was not capable of "multi-tasking"? In fact Crump was the person who, from looking a phone records, discovered that Trayvon had been talking to someone at or about the time he was killed. You do realize that the police could have found that same information very easily if they had been looking but they did not.

Of course the actions of an educated and experienced attorney would puzzle you if you don't have experience in dealing with such cases. The Martins did not individually and personally come up with these strategies; their attorney did. That's what attorneys do. They help people navigate through the judicial system because usually their clients are not trained and experienced lawyers.

Old 04-13-2013, 08:08 PM

Quote:
If my son was killed I would want the responsible one in prison. I could care less about money. But I guess thats just me.
I"m not at all sure the Martins' goal was to make money.....they hired an attorney to help them with the entire situation regarding what happened to their son and why. I think they were absolutely most concerned about how he died and WHY. The police department was not doing a very good job of investigating the incident. However, the attorney for the Martins not only knew how to get information about the investigation and how to do his own investigation, because he is an experienced and successful attorney he knew about peripheral issues such as wrongful death and HOAs etc., so he could pursue those avenues as well while looking into the reasons why Trayvon was shot and killed. That's what attorneys do, they work through these issues for their clients. IMO, it serves justice that the HOA (insurance company) had to pay for the death of Trayvon by Zimmerman who was appointed either by himself or someone in the community to be the Neighborhood Watch guy. Maybe in the future other communities will have known something about this case and will be much, much more careful about who they let take positions as volunteer Neighborhood Watch people.

Old 04-13-2013, 08:17 PM

Quote:
You wouldn't hire a wrongful death attorney the day after you found out about the death and a PR guy one week later? And then send a letter of intent to sue the HOA 15 days later?

The PR guy and intent to sue letter so quick are the things that really puzzle me. They have nothing to do with assisting in the investigation to get justice for your son.

ETA: And the attorney did not help the case, he obstructed it. The police asked for Trayvon's phone pin, and Tracy said he needed to talk to Crump first. Then he never would provide it.

Why would his dad and the attorney want to hide what was on the phone? Then they wouldn't let the girlfriend talk to the police, Crump said she was "scared" and her parents wouldn't allow an interview with police. But Crump brought ABC to tape his interview. The parents were fine with a nationally televised interview but not with her talking to police?

The attonrney was obstructing the phone data, hiding the "key" witness, and sending out intent to sue notices while running a PR campaign. Not the best way to find the truth.
Below is responding to your "ETA" which you posted after I responded to you the first time:

Wrong. You are misunderstanding the flow of discovery and the issues regarding Crump. Your summaries of "discovery" are full of mistakes. It's simply your OPINION that Crump is "obstructing".....there has been no ruling by any court that supports your opinion.

Hint: It isn't "obstructing" the phone data. It would be "withholding" the phone data. "Obstructing" is not even grammatically correct. Again, brentwoodgirl, do you think attorneys do not have staff and law partners to help them and that they are not capable of multi-tasking? You should step back and rethink all those left-wing legal analysts you're listening to out there. Crump is a partner is a successful LAW FIRM. They can hire people to help them do various tasks related to their cases.

Old 04-13-2013, 08:41 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
If my child was killed, I would want justice anywhere and everywhere I could find it.
and money would make you feel better? Not me.

Old 04-13-2013, 08:42 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,284,458 times
Quote:
and money would make you feel better? Not me.
It might make the guilty parties feel worse, though. A poor substitute for your living child, but a form of punishment.

Old 04-13-2013, 08:43 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Quote:

ETA: And the attorney did not help the case, he obstructed it. The police asked for Trayvon's phone pin, and Tracy said he needed to talk to Crump first. Then he never would provide it.

Why would his dad and the attorney want to hide what was on the phone? Then they wouldn't let the girlfriend talk to the police, Crump said she was "scared" and her parents wouldn't allow an interview with police. But Crump brought ABC to tape his interview. The parents were fine with a nationally televised interview but not with her talking to police?

The attorney was obstructing the phone data, hiding the "key" witness, and sending out intent to sue notices while running a PR campaign. Not the best way to find the truth.
Why Not? As I recall George wasn't even arrested and charged for sometime....it certainly wasn't looking like he would be the day after. These folks had every right to seek justice for the unlawful murder of their son.
Hopefully none of us ever has to try to figure out what to do after something like this. Give these people a break.

Old 04-13-2013, 08:46 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
I"m not at all sure the Martins' goal was to make money.....they hired an attorney to help them with the entire situation regarding what happened to their son and why. I think they were absolutely most concerned about how he died and WHY. The police department was not doing a very good job of investigating the incident. However, the attorney for the Martins not only knew how to get information about the investigation and how to do his own investigation, because he is an experienced and successful attorney he knew about peripheral issues such as wrongful death and HOAs etc., so he could pursue those avenues as well while looking into the reasons why Trayvon was shot and killed. That's what attorneys do, they work through these issues for their clients. IMO, it serves justice that the HOA (insurance company) had to pay for the death of Trayvon by Zimmerman who was appointed either by himself or someone in the community to be the Neighborhood Watch guy. Maybe in the future other communities will have known something about this case and will be much, much more careful about who they let take positions as volunteer Neighborhood Watch people.
Yeah....Like doing background checks for previous criminal charges.....Like assaults for instance.

Old 04-13-2013, 08:50 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,729,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Why Not? As I recall George wasn't even arrested and charged for sometime....it certainly wasn't looking like he would be the day after. These folks had every right to seek justice for the unlawful murder of their son.
Hopefully none of us ever has to try to figure out what to do after something like this. Give these people a break.
The day after, they were still investigating. The day after, Zimmerman was doing a renactment for the police and taking a voice stress test.

I don't have any love for Zimmerman. I wouldn't do what either people in this case did. But I have strong objections to a PR team manipulating the entire thing.

Before Angela Corey was brought into the case there was already a grand jury hearing scheduled. The whole notion of there was no investigation happening is part of the false PR story. An investigation was happening, and a grand jury hearing was scheduled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies