Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2013, 08:31 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times

Advertisements

Then why should they be able to tell you how much you should make while working?

I dont see how one is any different than the other.

People should marry who they want, and also work for $1 an hour if they wish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 08:34 AM

29,823 posts, read 24,908,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Then why should they be able to tell you how much you should make while working?

Except, if someone wants to do my job for $1 hr, that pretty much puts me out of a job. Exactly why conservatives can be just as nutty as the libs sometimes. And that has been happening more than ever these days.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:35 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,513,842 times
Quote:

Liberals want "freedom" for groups they deem acceptable.

They have no problem taking aways rights from employers and young workers.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:38 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Except, if someone wants to do my job for $1 hr, that pretty much puts me out of a job. Exactly why conservatives can be just as nutty as the libs sometimes. And that has been happening more than ever these days.
Doesnt someone marrying person X, pretty much put them off the market so you cant marry them?

If you think someone will do your job for $1 an hour, then wouldnt this mean that your being massivly overpaid right now?

Old 04-06-2013, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post

The point of the thread is the employer-employee ralationship should not be interfered with. He just threw $1 out there. Could have easily said $30.

By the way, if you look at markets with no minimum wage laws you will see that wages rise. And often quicker than with them. U.S. Census data from 1860-1930 confirms this.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Doesnt someone marrying person X, pretty much put them off the market so you cant marry them?

If you think someone will do your job for $1 an hour, then wouldnt this mean that your being massivly overpaid right now?
I wouldn't have to worry about someone taking my job for a $1 an hour.

What kind of enmployee is my boss gonna get for $1 an hour? For $5 an hour? For $10 an hour? One that cannot do the job. Why would they pay someone that can't do the job? Why would someone that can do the job do it for a $1 when any employer will start them at $30? Nothing to worry about on my part.

People think without minimum wage laws we'd all be making "slave wages". Nevermind no one is being forced to pay more than minimum wage right now. Yet, 98% of jobs pay more. Their arguments about wages never make sense. They never match with what is actually happening right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies