Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 05:15 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,136,132 times

Advertisements

Please explain this 'treason' she committed. She 'talked' to the enemy rather than killed them. Is that the treason? She failed to be brainwashed into believing that another human being is our enemy because our government and the media tell us they are? I support any attempt to end bloodshed because my allegiance to humanity dwarfs any allegiance I may have to a concept called "country".

Old 10-28-2007, 05:29 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,111,105 times
Jane Fonda regrets her action in 1972:

NEW YORK - Jane Fonda says her 1972 visit to a North Vietnamese anti-aircraft gun site, an incident that brought her the nickname “Hanoi Jane,” was a “betrayal” of American forces and of the “country that gave me privilege.”

Here's the article:

Fonda: ‘Hanoi Jane’ visit was a mistake - CELEBRITY NEWS - MSNBC.com

I fail to understand the venom spewed 35 years later against Ms. Fonda, and often from those not old enough to have lived through this period in history. And mistakes, aren't they permitted, especially when people apologize and acknowledge they made an error in judgment.

Old 10-28-2007, 05:30 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,038,378 times
She went over, unathorized, coerced with the enemy, undermined the troups and undermined our government. She brought about terrible moral within the prisoners that were being held by the North Viet Cong.

Look up treason, any dictionary, I'll even let you use Wikiup.

Old 10-28-2007, 05:34 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,111,105 times
Yes,,,but it was 35 years ago, wasn't it? What is gained by trashing her now again and again. If she deserved to be chastised, it was then!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgussler View Post
She went over, unathorized, coerced with the enemy, undermined the troups and undermined our government. She brought about terrible moral within the prisoners that were being held by the North Viet Cong.

Look up treason, any dictionary, I'll even let you use Wikiup.

Old 10-28-2007, 05:50 PM

13,601 posts, read 21,384,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
Please explain this 'treason' she committed. She 'talked' to the enemy rather than killed them. Is that the treason? She failed to be brainwashed into believing that another human being is our enemy because our government and the media tell us they are? I support any attempt to end bloodshed because my allegiance to humanity dwarfs any allegiance I may have to a concept called "country".
If she or anyone has a problem with a current administration,war or policy talk to the congressman or protest,but to talk to the enemy who is killing your fellow countrymen is crossing the line,let alone posing on a weapon that's killing your countrymen.

This would be the same as a current celebrity,say Rosie O Donnell,Martin Sheen or whoever posing with Islamic insurgents posing with IED's.That is treason,promoting the killings and propaganda against your countrymen.

And while your allegience to the world (which in the world includes no t so nice governments) dwarfs your allegience to your country,other countries might not see it that way.The North Vietnamese and VC weren't interested in holding hands with Fonda and singing Kumbaya,they were exploiting her to win the war.

I'm not against questioning government or wars or policy but when you pose with the enemy who is killing your countrymen that is treason.

Old 10-28-2007, 05:53 PM

I have some difficulty understanding the situation because I view all war as wrong on every level. I would not now nor would I then have supported such stupidity. I have read the Wikipedia article and honestly, I don't see anything worse than what happens today. Continued business interaction between the bin Laden and the Bush families is a far more heinous crime. I still claim that she is hated for this because she is anti-war and primarily because she is a woman. Her accomplishments in all arenas of life and the reasons I initially posted still force me to see her in a very positive light.

And lionking, let's just say that both sides exploited each other. She even concedes she was used. Not everyone has the luxury of knowing when they're being screwed as it unfolds. Gosh, let's give her a break.

Old 10-28-2007, 05:55 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,625,388 times
I could care less WTF Jane Fonda thinks about ANYTHING. She is a Hollywood Elitist, and I'd rather hear what the nice Democrat lady down the street has to say about world events than Jane Fonda. She used her position in life to commit treason. Anyone not in such a high position would have received much worse treatment for such actions.

As for women who aren't afraid to speak their mind, I have an aunt who LOVES to speak her mind, and I'll bet she'd rip Jane Fonda a new one if they were to discuss politics. However, I doubt the poster who mentioned how great it is for a woman to speak her mind would approve in any way of my aunt, since she is a conservative.

Old 10-28-2007, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
I could care less WTF Jane Fonda thinks about ANYTHING. She is a Hollywood Elitist, and I'd rather hear what the nice Democrat lady down the street has to say about world events than Jane Fonda. She used her position in life to commit treason. Anyone not in such a high position would have received much worse treatment for such actions.

As for women who aren't afraid to speak their mind, I have an aunt who LOVES to speak her mind, and I'll bet she'd rip Jane Fonda a new one if they were to discuss politics. However, I doubt the poster who mentioned how great it is for a woman to speak her mind would approve in any way of my aunt, since she is a conservative.
No, I might not approve of your aunt's views, but it's refeshing there's women out there who have the courage of their convictions. We need more of them to teach us men about the value of life.

Old 10-28-2007, 06:06 PM

68,326 posts, read 54,344,425 times
I think like many she did some foolish things in her youth.

But treason?

From that era I'd start with Robert McNamara and his kind who got us involved for reasons even he has admitted were wrong. THAT's treason!

And those who think her jaw flapping was treason please explain why you didn't call for the hanging of those who sold weapons to our enemies.

Old 10-28-2007, 06:08 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,625,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
No, I might not approve of your aunt's views, but it's refeshing there's women out there who have the courage of their convictions. We need more of them to teach us men about the value of life.
I guess as a man I don't feel like I'm at a loss for understanding the value of life.

Maybe Andrea Yates could teach us???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies