Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 08:07 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,328,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
Laura Bush is the one of the classiest ladies we have ever had as a 1st lady.
I don't necessarily think class has anything to do with it, but I don't think Laura meant any harm. Her husband is the reason we are at war in the middle east. Maybe he requested she wear the scarf or maybe she wanted to make a political statement. I don't know. I don't think her action of wearing a scarf is enough to brand her as a "sell out." Bush's approval rating is in the toliet, so what the who? Certainly, the scarf is a controversial issue and offensive to some Americans. Especially those who may be in the military or have family and friends in the middle east. Bottom line is: the country cannot be any worse off because she wore the scarf and no more Bush in the upcoming election We have survived this Administration as a nation. Hopefully ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2007, 08:28 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,822,831 times
I would rather she would have refused to wear the scarf, but it's not nearly as bad as if she would have worn a burka.

I lost respect for Gwen Stefani when she agreed to partially cover herself up while preforming a concert in Muslim Malaysia. I gained respect for Beyonce when she cancelled a concert there because she refused to cover herself up.

I am overall very much against the Islamic idea of "modesty" for women. I wish we could have an exchange program. Every Muslim woman who wants to be free of those scary looking burkas should be able to move to a Western nation. In exchange, any Westerner who criticizes a woman for dressing like a hoochie or hooker should get a one way ticket to the Middle East.

Old 10-28-2007, 08:35 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,581,754 times
It's called Respect for others cultures and customs. She obviously has an open-minded viewpoint and is well rounded. Kudos to Laura Bush. did I say that, LOL.

Old 10-29-2007, 01:12 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,447,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
I would rather she would have refused to wear the scarf, but it's not nearly as bad as if she would have worn a burka.

I lost respect for Gwen Stefani when she agreed to partially cover herself up while preforming a concert in Muslim Malaysia. I gained respect for Beyonce when she cancelled a concert there because she refused to cover herself up.

I am overall very much against the Islamic idea of "modesty" for women. I wish we could have an exchange program. Every Muslim woman who wants to be free of those scary looking burkas should be able to move to a Western nation. In exchange, any Westerner who criticizes a woman for dressing like a hoochie or hooker should get a one way ticket to the Middle East.
Yes, I can see how that thought process is there living in Vegas! Doesn't mean it is right though.

Old 10-29-2007, 01:12 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
I am overall very much against the Islamic idea of "modesty" for women.
Say goodbye to that idea because when the preachers promote it, the scarf will become required and popular attire for conservative women.

Old 10-29-2007, 06:43 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,630,098 times
I have no problem with it. Didn't have a problem with Pelosi wearing something either.

Old 10-29-2007, 07:36 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,822,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Say goodbye to that idea because when the preachers promote it, the scarf will become required and popular attire for conservative women.
I think it will become popular attire for liberal women, not conservative Christians. There is a surprising alliance between the feminist left and Islam. I would have expected feminists to be outraged by the way Islam treats women. Maybe they were at one time. But today, feminists direct their hatred towards Bush and Republicans and never criticize Islam.

My guess is there are two reasons for this. First of all, feminists have a bias towards non-western cultures (even if it's the West that has given women freedom and equality). Also, in a strange sort of way feminists might like the role of women in Muslim countries. Feminists think it is oppressive for women to look pretty, so they might find comfort in the burka

Old 10-29-2007, 08:29 AM

223 posts, read 604,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
Laura Bush is the one of the classiest ladies we have ever had as a 1st lady.
LOL ... good one!

Old 10-30-2007, 01:17 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,447,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlsteved View Post
LOL ... good one!
Please point out where she is not respected and revered by all political parties. There is no one who has any beef with this woman. She is classy, smart, educated, down to earth, etc etc. Now they may not like her husband or the party which she is involved but have no beef with her.

Old 10-30-2007, 03:36 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,585,253 times
I have no problem with her doing that, particularly since it was really a diplomatic trip. I would imagine that many that complain about it probably feel strongly that when people come to the U.S., they should respect us and our customs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies