Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 05:57 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
It's important to remember this is just the first year of the sequester, the cuts will be progressively bigger each year.
Quit sending hundreds of millions to Pakistan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 06:07 PM

1,520 posts, read 1,873,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Let's say we roll forward with this sequester idea and make it permanent. The biggest effect will be that many people will be furloughed, terminated or not hired. The folks affected would be postal workers, park rangers, foresters, air traffic controllers, border patrol guards, research scientists, senior managers, biologists, engineers, food inspectors, fisheries observers, human resource professionals, game managers, etc.

Most federal jobs require a college degree, some PhDs, and some experience in specialized roles. Where will all these folks go if we axe the agencies they work for? Will they get sucked up into the private sector? Will they end up on the dole? Fast food? Oil exploration? Adult entertainment?

I am just wondering how people think protecting low tax rates for the wealthiest citizens is more important than the work these people do. Will the job creators hire them? Or are their current jobs completely dispensible?

I am trying to figure out how axing these highly skilled people will be a good idea with UE at 7.6% It would seem to me that these people will either: 1) be so specialized that they will say that cannot find suitable work and collect unemployment, 2) enter the job market and kick the asses of the high school educated joe six pack guys already reeling from the recession, or 3) become consultants and get paid three times what they made to do the duties of their old jobs.

I am sure Grover Norquist will be dancing a ***, but how about the businesses that sell food, cars, houses, beer, furniture,etc. to these people?
They will be fine. Unemployment rates for 4 year degree holders are under 5%
March Jobs Report: Unemployment Rate For Those With A College Degree Vs. Those Without One - Business Insider

Old 04-11-2013, 06:11 PM

945 posts, read 968,261 times
Quote:
Let's say we roll forward with this sequester idea and make it permanent. The biggest effect will be that many people will be furloughed, terminated or not hired. The folks affected would be postal workers, park rangers, foresters, air traffic controllers, border patrol guards, research scientists, senior managers, biologists, engineers, food inspectors, fisheries observers, human resource professionals, game managers, etc.

Most federal jobs require a college degree, some PhDs, and some experience in specialized roles. Where will all these folks go if we axe the agencies they work for? Will they get sucked up into the private sector? Will they end up on the dole? Fast food? Oil exploration? Adult entertainment?

I am just wondering how people think protecting low tax rates for the wealthiest citizens is more important than the work these people do. Will the job creators hire them? Or are their current jobs completely dispensible?

I am trying to figure out how axing these highly skilled people will be a good idea with UE at 7.6% It would seem to me that these people will either: 1) be so specialized that they will say that cannot find suitable work and collect unemployment, 2) enter the job market and kick the asses of the high school educated joe six pack guys already reeling from the recession, or 3) become consultants and get paid three times what they made to do the duties of their old jobs.

I am sure Grover Norquist will be dancing a ***, but how about the businesses that sell food, cars, houses, beer, furniture,etc. to these people?

Did they care about the debt or the actual paying for their jobs when the bubble burst and jobs were bleeding? Did they take a pay cut or go along with sensible approaches to avoid this mess?

Govt employees losing their jobs are a good thing for the average citizen, they will land on their feet and have to apply whatever they learn in govt to compete with everyone else.

Someone having a job simply for no reason and not creating any GDP for the economy is a worthless drain on the recovery regardless of whether they have a job or not.

Bring out the hatchet and start obliterating this endless waste.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:27 PM

59,040 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
I do believe you are misinformed, were I work, there has been at least 50 layoffs, mostly contractor employees, but a few federal employees as well.
No, I am not mis-informed. NO ONE NEEDS TO BE FIRED BECAUSE OF THE SEQUESTER.

I retired from the DoD in contracting and procuremnt and I can assure you ther are PLENTY of places where cuts can be made, and should be.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:12 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,441,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The wealthiest people do not have "income" so taxing them is moot.
The wealthiest people do not have IRA accounts so capping it and taxing the rest is moot.

The wealthiest people have Trusts, etc. and accountants to offset anything they spend with expenses.

The government doesn't tax wealth, it taxes income. If you have no "income" you pay no taxes.
Exactly; somehow plenty of people don't understand that concept. If a corporate board sets a CEO's salary to $1, that's the only taxable income that CEO has, yet to believe that CEO only is getting a $1 increase to net-worth is inane. He's still being paid enormously, but his assets (including trusts, capital dividends [which CEO's get plenty of], and etc.) are what's keeping their net worth booming through the roof. By increasing taxes on the wealthy, we're only hurting those whom actually are receiving an income such as Doctors, Lawyers, and etc. and although I lean left typically with my political views, I don't believe people of those professions deserve tax increases because I definitely believe they've deserved that. The people who've inherited their wealth and have no plans to contribute back to society or receive $1 salaries just to avoid taxation are the one's I despise.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:27 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
On 3/9 the WSJ reported that federal, state and municipal governments had shed 750,000 jobs since 2009.

Number of the Week: Unemployment Rate Without Government Cuts - Real Time Economics - WSJ

Old 04-11-2013, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
On 3/9 the WSJ reported that federal, state and municipal governments had shed 750,000 jobs since 2009.

Number of the Week: Unemployment Rate Without Government Cuts - Real Time Economics - WSJ
Government unemployment rate is 3.6%

3.6 Percent Unemployment--for Government Workers | CNS News

It seems they are doing far better than main street.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:09 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,760,768 times
Quote:
It's important to remember this is just the first year of the sequester, the cuts will be progressively bigger each year.

Personally I AM worried about this, more so because I'm hearing nothing in the news congress is going to fix this. The contracting company I work for cut 10% of there staff, I expect cuts will be Much Larger next year, once there are no more air traffic control towers left to close to save money. Personally I cut my spending, I haven't purchased anything I didn't absolutely need to and don't plan to either until this is resolved.
You see, this is exactly the point. You are right to be frugal until this is all over. However, your attitude of fear, which is entirely rational, is not good for business. Throwing large swaths of the public work force into a seige mentality is not going to strengthen our economy. And I am going to assume you are good at what you do, and you do not deserve such stress and drama.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:20 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,760,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Government unemployment rate is 3.6%

3.6 Percent Unemployment--for Government Workers | CNS News

It seems they are doing far better than main street.
Thanks for posting news from a right wing site. Sounds like bull shinola.

I would have taken it more seriously without all the right wing crap at the end of the article. Where can we get real, straight new, without the partisan garbage?

Government workers are a complex case. Many long-term employees have enjoyed fairly stable employment. However, there is a tsunami of retirements underway, and the agencies are replacing only about 1 of 3 workers. So, unemployment of existing workers may be low, but they are overwhelmed doing the work of several recent retirees. And the people who would love to fill new positions cannot because of hiring freezes, downsizing, etc. Statistics on current workers are not very informative at this time of massive change.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Thanks for posting news from a right wing site. Sounds like bull shinola.

I would have taken it more seriously without all the right wing crap at the end of the article. Where can we get real, straight new, without the partisan garbage?

Government workers are a complex case. Many long-term employees have enjoyed fairly stable employment. However, there is a tsunami of retirements underway, and the agencies are replacing only about 1 of 3 workers. So, unemployment of existing workers may be low, but they are overwhelmed doing the work of several recent retirees. And the people who would love to fill new positions cannot because of hiring freezes, downsizing, etc. Statistics on current workers are not very informative at this time of massive change.
The link to the government numbers is there.

http://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/empsit.pdf

There is nothing going on with the public jobs that haven't happened many times over in the private segment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies