Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 09:29 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
In my opinion, wheels have come off and you (and I) have to look within ourselves for the answers. We can't look for an employer, but rather have to employ ourselves.
Self-Employment. If I lost my job it would be back to being a realtor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2013, 09:39 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,936,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Self-Employment. If I lost my job it would be back to being a realtor.
I am already self employed but am not far from retirement. The work I do is pretty physical, so I have a new business plan for myself that is a little less demanding and I can run from my home. I will actually retire when they throw dirt on me...

Old 04-07-2013, 10:10 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,359,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
\I've posed the question previously and will do so again. What can be done to encourage people of working age to work? I know we need more jobs, those would be for people that want to work.
Yeah, that's pretty much it: more jobs. My wife searched for months for a job. She's extremely smart and can do pretty much anything, but doesn't have a paper degree to back that up. She has been begging for work. After several months of not even a returned call or email, she finally took a job that a friend offered her for $8/hour part-time. When we both have to work, a babysitter costs more than she makes. But, at least she's working! :roll eyes: (Oh, and by the way, she never got unemployment benefits).

Now, there's the part of the equation that we hear frequently: "there's tons of jobs, just not enough qualified people!" I call BS on this. During my wife's job search, she looked at numerous jobs that could be done by a drunk chipmunk, but they required an exceptional amount of education and/or experience. One was as a customer relations person (basically answer phone calls and email) for an airline. Something pretty much ANYONE can do. They required degrees, years of experience, a solid work history with no gaps, etc. Her application was rejected because she hadn't worked while pregnant. Many employers are simply shooting too high in their desires.

As for the rest of it, as long as the motive is "INCREASED PROFITS AT ALL COSTS!!!1!!1!!", you're never going to see a big hiring spree going on in this country. But now, profit is the name of the game. It is what it is, and we will reap the results for a long time to come.

Old 04-07-2013, 10:35 AM

27,141 posts, read 15,318,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Cut off the free money from Uncle Sam should be all the incentive they need to get a job.

Hey a solution!

Old 04-07-2013, 10:58 AM

5,466 posts, read 4,422,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Jobs have to be there. I have three friends who have been forced into early retirement because they just can't find work (aged 60-62). They want to work but can't find it. I'm really concerned for myself right now. My teaching position is being eliminated and one of those three is a fellow engineer whose skill set is recent and relevent and he cannot find anything. I'm sitting here thinking that if he can't find a job with 6 month old relevent experience, there's not much hope for me with 6 year old outdated experience. Unlike him, I cannot retire. I have enough in my IRA that I'll be ok for retirement if I can hold out until I'm eligible for SS but I'm SOL if I have to start hitting that money at 54 to pay my bills.

The hard truth is there, simply, are not enough jobs. Before you can attack the people who don't want to work, how about addressing those who do want to work but cannot find work. People like me who have masters degrees in engineering and 20 years experience or my friend with a masters degree and 40 years experience.
Now this is the kind of post that makes me angry. We are so worried about the "poor" that our government is pushing good people into poverty. Our government needs to stop worry about green energy investments and gay rights and focus on the people who want to work. It's just a distraction and building up Democratic votes taking our attention away from what is really important to people. Do people really think that the people who lost jobs and worry about losing a job could care less right now about those issues. First things first Mr President

We need to tell the people who refuse to work "you get no more than you are getting now" the people left in the workforce can not afford to support you anymore.

We got over 3 more years of these failing Obama policies I hope we can survive them.

Old 04-07-2013, 11:02 AM

4,176 posts, read 6,335,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP View Post
Now this is the kind of post that makes me angry. We are so worried about the "poor" that our government is pushing good people into poverty. Our government needs to stop worry about green energy investments and gay rights and focus on the people who want to work. This is all just a distraction from what is really important to people. Do people really think that the people who lost jobs and worry about losing a job could care less right now about those issues. First things first Mr President

We need to tell the people who refuse to work "you get no more than you are getting now" the people left in the workforce can not afford to support you anymore.

We got over 3 more years of these failing Obama policies I hope we can survive them.
Yes, but the focus on irrelevant issues is by design. There's no way an informed citizenry would reelect Obama.

Old 04-07-2013, 11:05 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
What happened is that we lost jobs the paid well (off shored) and they have been replaced with jobs that pay min wage or a little above.

Just go look at the BLS reports..service, leisure, retail
Walmart is the #1 employer in the US..cashier, stock clerks rule society.

Your engineering, accounting, etc. jobs have been off shored and are not coming back.

Old 04-07-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
What happened is that we lost jobs the paid well (off shored) and they have been replaced with jobs that pay min wage or a little above.

Just go look at the BLS reports..service, leisure, retail
Walmart is the #1 employer in the US..cashier, stock clerks rule society.

Your engineering, accounting, etc. jobs have been off shored and are not coming back.
True and Obama and the democrats kept saying we are recovering but conveniently failed to say that the jobs people lost were higher paying than the jobs they are being replaced with. Hey, raise taxes on them again, that will make them want to come back. Welcome to Obama's Liberal America.

Old 04-07-2013, 11:20 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
Default No easy answers ...

Quote:
Cut off the free money from Uncle Sam should be all the incentive they need to get a job.
I do not agree with this view.

It represents a simplistic - to the point of being childish - answer without regard to the tectonic shift in the world's economies, and especially the realignment of the economies of the western developed world.

The problem of unemployment cannot be answered with a simple 'bumper-sticker' slogan. It is not the fault of any one president such as Bush or Obama; nor does the blame lay entirely with one group or another be they Republicans or Democrats. There was greater employment when there was more manufacturing jobs in the US. International corporations seek to make the maximum profits through outsourcing and exporting jobs abroad. Companies have trimmed their staff through downsizing. Technological innovations have eliminated jobs.

There are no easy answers to this problem.

Old 04-07-2013, 12:21 PM

Tough love -> cut welfare
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies