Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 06:21 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,406,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
They can't possibly avoid publicity. Not in 2013. The Cuban government probably knew they were coming the minute their plane took off.

I'm also sure that they were smart enough to consult attorneys before they left...they know damn well that nothing is gonna happen to them. Hell...fine 'em...they're worth a half a billion dollars. What do they care?
Good point. The fine would be nothing to them financially.

However, I think they must have traveled legally via the cultural exchange option, as, apparently does every one else these days since Obama opened that door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 06:21 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
I'm pretty sure finding out about any American just up and going to Cuba is going to give rise to some questions. I haven't read through the thread but it's a well-known fact that travel between the two countries is not easily accessible to anyone other than gov't officials (I imagine) or people with dual citizenship (such as my father). I would like to visit one day but not anytime soon b/c it's really not safe but also b/c it's such a huge hassle to get permission, if it's even granted at all.

Either way, Beyonce and Jay-Z do some odd things, and they are known to pal around with Obama, so it's really no wonder Republicans are questioning it. It has nothing to do with freedom, as you claim.
Traveling to Cuba is unbelievably easy, and its very safe. You don't need any permission to go, and no one would be the wiser.
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Sad that these poor Cubans would admire them so much. They are living a life that Cubans can only dream of seeing in a magazine, it must have been the highlight of their lives to see these two in person. Only the very rich can be successful in Cuba, the vast majority lives in extreme poverty. Kind of reminds me of the poor welfare liberals here in the US who worship their Democrat idols....

Who the heck goes to Cuba for an anniversary, anyway?
Millions of tourists do...all the time. Why not?

And so what if Cubans can only dream of living like Jay and Beyonce...millions of Americans do too. They don't owe Cubans any apologies.

Besides, why are you holding Cuba to such a standard? Lots of Latin American countries that you're allowed to visit have the same grinding poverty. Jamaica, Brazil, Haiti, Dominican Republic, Guatemala...but just because they don't have commie governments then its okay to go there?

The Cold War is over folks. We're in a new century. Geez.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:28 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
Good point. The fine would be nothing to them financially.

However, I think they must have traveled legally via the cultural exchange option, as, apparently does every one else these days since Obama opened that door.
Probably. The lamebrain Marco Rubio is trying to make the cultural exchange rules even tougher.

Those old soreheads in Miami always wanna boss the rest of us around. They want visitation to Cuba to be a right only reserved for them. You can believe that these exiles are going down and having the time of their lives, but if you or I do the same, then we're supposedly doing something bad. It's arrogance on their part. Just like how they lobbied to be able to send remittances to THEIR families in Cuba so that THEIR relatives don't suffer the full weight of the embargo, but they want everyone else in Cuba to suffer.

We should be ashamed of ourselves for this stupid policy.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:30 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,416,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Oh the irony. Republicans advocate freedom but won't allow Americans to travel to where they choose.

BBC News - Beyonce and Jay-Z visit to Cuba queried in US Congress
Oh the irony: liberals call for tax increases on the rich...

Old 04-08-2013, 07:11 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,651,508 times
Quote:
LMAO...are you saying that Americans should only be allowed to travel to nations where the common man is treated well? That would put more than Cuba within your silly ass bullseye.

Americans can and do travel to Vietnam and China in droves and no Republican has said squat about it. But say Cuba, and you all get apoplexy.

Americans should be able to legally travel to Cuba as much as they want to. Most people know it, which is why our government doesn't even bother to enforce the rules.

^^^This.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:30 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,212,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrix542 View Post
i guess it doesnt pay to be an american these days, you cant even go on vacation where u want to
Where Cuba is concerned, that's been the case since the 1960's. The days of Kennedy and Johnson, the big time Democrats. Has little to do with 'these days'. Just ask knowledgeiskey.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:41 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,791,639 times
Quote:
Traveling to Cuba is unbelievably easy, and its very safe. You don't need any permission to go, and no one would be the wiser.

And so what if Cubans can only dream of living like Jay and Beyonce...millions of Americans do too. They don't owe Cubans any apologies.

Besides, why are you holding Cuba to such a standard? Lots of Latin American countries that you're allowed to visit have the same grinding poverty. Jamaica, Brazil, Haiti, Dominican Republic, Guatemala...but just because they don't have commie governments then its okay to go there?

The Cold War is over folks. We're in a new century. Geez.
The whole Cuba nonsense is beat. I agree enough already.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:45 PM

1,127 posts, read 903,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Oh the irony. Republicans advocate freedom but won't allow Americans to travel to where they choose.

BBC News - Beyonce and Jay-Z visit to Cuba queried in US Congress
So much for the claim that Republicans are against government intrusion.

Old 04-08-2013, 11:06 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,934,462 times
Quote:

There's an embrago...The embargo forbids Americans from traveling to Cuba for tourism reasons, but exceptions are made for people traveling for academic, journalistic, religious and cultural reasons.

Read through this and see how easy it is to get there......Cuba

United States embargo against Cuba - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Obama administration made slight changes to the restrictions on U.S. travel to Cuba. On April 13, 2009, President Barack Obama eased the travel ban, now allowing Cuban-Americans to travel freely to Cuba and on January 14, 2011 he further eased the ban, by allowing students and religious missionaries to travel to Cuba if they meet certain restrictions

Quote:
The Cold War is over folks. We're in a new century. Geez
Send Cuba the message.......

What's up with the Che shirt Jay-Z was wearing, I thought Che hated blacks..... Maybe a MLK or Ghandi shirt would've been better........celebs are such dopes!

Old 04-08-2013, 11:51 PM

1,127 posts, read 903,666 times
so self respecting libertarian or libertarian leaning could support these two douchebag Republicans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies