Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 12:01 AM

1,730 posts, read 1,361,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
What exactly does this have to do with race anyways? Last time I watched MTV's "Teen Mom" it was basically white teen girls getting knocked up and relying on WIC and Welafare programs!
When I started this thread it was not my intention to bring race into it.
Libbies usually throw out the race card when they're stumped, maybe that's the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 12:08 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoD Guy View Post
Libbies usually throw out the race card when they're stumped, maybe that's the case.
The word "race" is right in the thread's title - so if that wasn't your intention, you failed miserably! You know what I've noticed? Righties bring up lefties using the "race card" way more often than I see lefties actually using it. Hmmm.

As for your overall question, to what extent do you expect everyone to provide for themselves? Do you simply mean everyone should earn a living (as I already do), or that we should provide our own schools, roads, law enforcement, etc? If you're referring to the latter, I think that is called anarchy... and even in regards to the former, our "safety nets" are part of what separates us from a third-world nation. So while I agree everyone who is capable of working should, I also think society has to care for those who (really) cannot care for themselves. Again, that is what makes us a civilized nation.

Old 04-08-2013, 12:11 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,559,257 times
Quote:
Who said I was a "Libbie" anyways? Maybe you have a reading comprehension problem if you can't see the word "race" in your own title!

Old 04-08-2013, 12:14 AM

1,730 posts, read 1,361,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
The word "race" is right in the thread's title - so if that wasn't your intention, you failed miserably! You know what I've noticed? Righties bring up lefties using the "race card" way more often than I see lefties actually using it. Hmmm.

As for your overall question, to what extent do you expect everyone to provide for themselves? Do you simply mean everyone should earn a living (as I already do), or that we should provide our own schools, roads, law enforcement, etc? If you're referring to the latter, I think that is called anarchy... and even in regards to the former, our "safety nets" are part of what separates us from a third-world nation. So while I agree everyone who is capable of working should, I also think society has to care for those who (really) cannot care for themselves. Again, that is what makes us a civilized nation.
To what extent do we support the needy and remain civilized?
If money I give to the government is grossly abused is that still civilized?
Or are you one of those guys that just figures if the money's going out there to whoever, to anybody, that we can consider mission accomplished?
Sort of like "checking the box" and moving on.
I'd rather my money be spent wisely.

Old 04-08-2013, 12:31 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,755,730 times
Quote:

Caring for the needy is the very essence of civilization.

Old 04-08-2013, 12:34 AM

Quote:
The truly NEEDY? To whatever extent keeps them alive and (if they desire) off the streets - and to whatever extent keeps children from going hungry or homeless. I cannot give you an exact parameter or number, since I don't know the number or needs of the truly downtrodden.

Quote:
If money I give to the government is grossly abused is that still civilized?
If it's being abused by whom? The government, or the people?

I don't like any funds being abused, but the answer isn't to cut off those who truly need help.

Quote:
Or are you one of those guys that just figures if the money's going out there to whoever, to anybody, that we can consider mission accomplished?
Sort of like "checking the box" and moving on.
I'm not a guy, lol - and no I don't just "check the box and move on," I speak through my votes and when possible through individual action. And by action, I don't mean bitching about it on the Interwebs.

Quote:
Me too. I'd rather not pay for unnecessary wars either, but that doesn't mean I want the entire Department of Defense & military to be dismantled.

Old 04-08-2013, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Exactly.

I think people like the OP need to visit some third-world nations, and see the effects of "every man/woman for themselves" up close and personal. I've been to a few countries like that, and the sights are truly devastating... especially when you see those poor children, begging and dying a slow death while their government sits back and watches. Trust me, we do NOT want to emulate them. And I'm not a fan of "big government," but caring for the needy and children hardly qualifies as excessive IMO.

Old 04-08-2013, 04:38 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,941,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
But that's all modern conservatism has to offer these days, accuses the poor of being moochers and blame the needy for their need, while giving the well off tax-cuts.

Old 04-08-2013, 04:50 AM

315 posts, read 255,866 times
This is a stupid thread. It reminds me of "cant we all just get along" that tired old axiom.
Lets just sit around a fake camp fire, we would not want to put more CO2 in the air. and sing folk songs. LMAO.

DOD why don't you start in the hood with the hood rats. LMAO when you get them all civilized come talk to us.

Old 04-08-2013, 05:01 AM

5,190 posts, read 5,332,941 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Me too. I'd rather not pay for unnecessary wars either, but that doesn't mean I want the entire Department of Defense & military to be dismantled.
Bingo.

And you can know that anyone who has to resort to using the term "libbie" is a hypocritical binary thinker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies