Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2013, 06:34 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I get the feeling that if the city was reliably Republican controlled, the two above posters would have a different tune
You are probably right, even the suburbanites that hate the urban lifestyle would still sing a different tune if the city were run by Republicans.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:46 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Agreed
Hence why we have our fair share of former Chicagoans in Indianapolis.
Wait - you live in Indianapolis and call Chicago the armpit of the nation?

Ok. 'The Crossroads of America' ~ at least they know where they stand.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:47 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,976,447 times
Quote:
How much is gasoline where you live?
In Chicago most stations are 3.99 or above 4$.
in Indianapolis the average price is 3.50 with some stations as low as 3.38$
Corruption has a price.
Soon only the 1% will be able to afford living in the mega cities.
You should start an Indianapolis vs Chicago thread.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post

I wonder which of those two cities gets more tourism.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post

BRG is an Indianapolis poster, but he does not live there. His location says Michiana, which is the counties on the Michigan/Indiana border. More specifically he lives in South Bend, know it?

Old 04-08-2013, 06:55 PM

Quote:
How much is gasoline where you live?
In Chicago most stations are 3.99 or above 4$.
in Indianapolis the average price is 3.50 with some stations as low as 3.38$
Corruption has a price.
Soon only the 1% will be able to afford living in the mega cities.
Illinois has additional taxes on their gasoline, and gas prices in larger cities is always going to be more expensive due to higher demand.

Also, if Indianapolis were a true major and urban center it would have a reliable mass transit system so people did not have to rely on cars to get everywhere, much like Chicago does, the El. Effective mass transit systems make gas prices kind of null and void since most people will likely use the mass transit system to get to and from work and will thus save a lot more on gas, some of these people may not even own a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
For me, gasoline is $0.00 dollars cause I have no car to pump it into. Very urban cities tend to function around public transportation options. One could live in Chicago and rely on the El, which is there is a reason why so many people live along the Red Line.

If you live in the suburbs and have to drive for everything, then you are definitely a slave to the gas pump and live and die by the cost of gasoline.
Read this BRG ^

Old 04-08-2013, 07:11 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,150,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Illinois has additional taxes on their gasoline, and gas prices in larger cities is always going to be more expensive due to higher demand.

Also, if Indianapolis were a true major and urban center it would have a reliable mass transit system so people did not have to rely on cars to get everywhere, much like Chicago does, the El. Effective mass transit systems make gas prices kind of null and void since most people will likely use the mass transit system to get to and from work and will thus save a lot more on gas, some of these people may not even own a car.

Read this BRG ^
Making no comparison between the two cities, you can live in Indianapolis without a car. Thousands do it daily. I did it for ten years. Walked to the grocer, etc. and took the bus to work on 96th and 103rd. Not everyone can do that esp living in the southern townships or know how to. Larger cities, it's just a way of life. Cities like indianapolis it's seen as an avenue for only the poor.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
Making no comparison between the two cities, you can live in Indianapolis without a car. Thousands do it daily. I did it for ten years. Walked to the grocer, etc. and took the bus to work on 96th and 103rd. Not everyone can do that esp living in the southern townships or know how to. Larger cities, it's just a way of life. Cities like indianapolis it's seen as an avenue for only the poor.
This is very true. The middle class and the well to do people will rarely engage in riding a bike or walking to work or ESPECIALLY riding the bus in smaller cities with smaller mass transit systems. In larger cities like Philadelphia, Boston, New York City, Atlanta, Chicago, you have the subway or the El, and a very effective bus system that people of all backgrounds and income levels will use. Indianapolis doesn't have the mass transit to support this as of yet, it's a very suburban and car dominated city.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:57 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I wonder which of those two cities gets more tourism.
A carnival sideshow gets lots of tourism. But I wouldn't want to live there.

I lived in Chicago for 20 years and would not want to go back there. Given a choice between Chicago's record high murder rate and Indy's record low, I would choose the latter in a hearbeat.
http://www.indystar.com/article/2013...-112-homicides

Sure, in any case you are not likely to be murdered or raped, but if you are in the wrong place at the wrong time, it will f*** up your day. And it's a lot more likely to happen in Chicago.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
A carnival sideshow gets lots of tourism. But I wouldn't want to live there.

I lived in Chicago for 20 years and would not want to go back there. Given a choice between Chicago's record high murder rate and Indy's record low, I would choose the latter in a hearbeat.
http://www.indystar.com/article/2013...-112-homicides

Sure, in any case you are not likely to be murdered or raped, but if you are in the wrong place at the wrong time, it will f*** up your day. And it's a lot more likely to happen in Chicago.
Well in that case, Chicago's GDP is about 5 times the size of Indianapolis's. And the reality is, you lived there for 20 years for a reason and obviously changed in life and felt like you needed something different. Maybe you are the type of person that would like the more slow pace of Indy or really long for that typical suburban lifestyle....does that mean everyone needs to live the same way you do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies