Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2013, 12:04 PM

2,608 posts, read 2,096,885 times

Advertisements

Chicago is the anus of America is more accurate...

Old 04-09-2013, 12:04 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,894,149 times
I can say that I Love Chicago also, But only during late Spring/Summer/Early Fall. The reason why Chicago is so run down is because Over one million People abandoned it. Therefore it is run down in some places, and the city had to make up for the population loss by imposing high amounts of taxes. There is so much poverty because there are people who are the descendants of other poor people, and the only thing they know is poverty, that is all these people are exposed to. They have no clue what life is like on the other side, But all in all I feel like Chicago will make a turn around and become an even better city.

Old 04-09-2013, 12:40 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,933,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Do you pull generalization out of your hat or something? Obviously you don't care about Chicago or wish to educate yourself about the city and how it functions. If a few neighborhoods are losing population drastically while other neighborhoods are growing, then there is a local problem that the city should be addressing, but failing to do so.

It is cool that you don't like Chicago, there is no one city that is right for everyone, but usually for most people, if they hate a city as passionately as you do, they simply don't think about that city or ever want to have anything to do with it.
Chicago is THE major American midwest city with stellar influence and contributions to world culture.

Bashers:
* They always focus on the worst aspects of a city as though nothing else exists, and ignore its historical contributions and its bigger picture.
* They are nothing more than little bullies with dismal self-images. Healthy human beings have no need to bash.
* They usually live in the true cultural "armpits" of America.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:58 PM

486 posts, read 863,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
Chicago is THE major American midwest city with stellar influence and contributions to world culture.

Bashers:
* They always focus on the worst aspects of a city as though nothing else exists, and ignore its historical contributions and its bigger picture.
* They are nothing more than little bullies with dismal self-images. Healthy human beings have no need to bash.
True. What I found to be very informative and really interesting was the PBS 4 part
documentary about the History of Chicago. A must see.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:56 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,810,759 times
No, the armpit of the nation is somewhere in the deep south. The armpit of the north is probably Detroit, although I might be tempted to go there and buy a city block for a few thousand. People in Chicago don't hate on IN - they don't pay any attention to that state, they kinda laugh about it. They hate on Green Bay, and vice versa.

Old 04-09-2013, 03:17 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,150,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post

Bashers:
Stereotype much? Those are ignorant comments. A person can not like chicago and you know what, that's ok. In general the chicago black experience and the chicago white experience are very different from one another. You don't know a persons experience and they are no more correct than you are.

Old 04-09-2013, 04:03 PM

977 posts, read 763,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Sleuth View Post
Chicago's benefits far outweigh the negatives, as is with most world-class, exciting cities to live in. Are they for everybody? No. But you can't beat the entertainment value, cultural amenities, the accessibility, and the diversity of career offerings available in Chicago. As a person who focuses on my career and having fun, I would say Chicago offers the best of both worlds for me.
And as I said before. If you makes a lot of money and don't mind the shooting gallery, you'll be fine.

Old 04-09-2013, 04:08 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,512,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlyretired View Post
Chicago is the anus of America is more accurate...
hahahhahahahhahahahhahahahhahahahhahahahahhahahaha hahahhahaha this just made my week.
so true.

Old 04-09-2013, 04:10 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,512,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Wow, well who can debate an ironclad argument like the one half-assed presented by the original article and loosely, ineffectually and poorly supported by the OP?
Kind of *hard* to take this post seriously when you live in Chicago.
Chicagoans defending Chicago is no surprise. Maybe when Chicago bites the dust they will stop living in denial of its massive problems.

Old 04-09-2013, 04:11 PM

977 posts, read 763,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
Guess you can't go anywhere on these forums without certain posters turning this into a Chicago and Indianapolis boondoggle. Give it a rest already. Every major city has areas that are unsavory, higher crime, blight. That's part of living in the city. No place is utopia. Chicago's problems are the same ones that exist in New York who has the same problems that exist in Seattle who has the same problems that exist in Cincinnati and so on and so on. Maybe I should go to the cooking forum or something.
I disagree that all cities are the same whether it be crime or cost of living. The crime issue might be addressed if Chi PD wasn't so understaffed. But they have 50 aldermen to pay so............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies