Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2013, 08:42 PM

31,285 posts, read 20,623,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Granted, I don't live there but I just visited there and looooved it. Chicago is a fabulous place to visit, shop, tour, eat . . . .
But only in the Summer. The rest of the year it is too cold to be habitable.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:57 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,069,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butkus51 View Post
I disagree that all cities are the same whether it be crime or cost of living. The crime issue might be addressed if Chi PD wasn't so understaffed. But they have 50 aldermen to pay so............
So that's the issue in this country? We don't have enough cops? Has nothing to do with the drug laws and culture?

Old 04-09-2013, 09:01 PM

487 posts, read 857,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Kind of *hard* to take this post seriously when you live in Chicago.
Chicagoans defending Chicago is no surprise. Maybe when Chicago bites the dust they will stop living in denial of its massive problems.
Kind of hard to take comments like this seriously from an outsider who went downtown a few times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Look, myself and a dozen other frequent Indiana posters debate with this guy nonstop, we have to keep him from blabbering on about Indianapolis in the Indiana forums, talking about jobs that they inherit from Chicago, and other crap. He's an 18 year old high school kid who lives in South Bend and who is in love with Indianapolis and would gladly put it up against New York City if he had to. He's not even old enough to enjoy the broad ripple area.
Lived in Chicago, love it, we had to move due to a job in Indiana & want to move back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by butkus51 View Post
.........and a city where the blue collar guy struggles.
[quote=butkus51;29053600]Really? So $70k gross is 'doing pretty well' in Chicago for two people. Where do they live? How much is parking? How much to go out and eat in Chi?
I'm not going to argue or defend the parking changes....it is going to hurt business & people. Bad
decision by those who made those choices.

An apartment rental, 1 br, is around $1400. 2br, $1900. And a parking garage? LOL! Off he charts. Same goes for the parking meters. $6.50 an hour for downtown meters. Average rate in a parking garage is $34 a day. So I guess a night out, if you can afford it, would be around $150 including parking. Do that all year and you've spent $7700. Now take out $14000 a year for rent. Another $2000 a year in utilities. Maybe $14000 a year to park in the city if you use a garage. $5500 a year for groceries. Right now we are at around $40,000. Then you still have HC and auto insurance and car payments if you do not own your vehicle outright. After taxes, $70k becomes $53,000. So factor in say around $1000 per year auto insurance. Say $1500 a year gasoline. And possibly $6000 copay for HC if you have it through your employer. So now it looks like $5,000 wiggle room barring other expenses including car notes. I don;t see the 'pretty well' factor. I see hand-to-mouth.

My question to the above: Is Downers Grove so much cheaper (except for the sales tax)?

Old 04-09-2013, 09:01 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,478,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Chicago is a pretty ****ty place in America. I think I am the only liberal who thinks so. Lol. My friends are all infactuated with that city and I'll never understand why.
Nice even the liberals agree Chicago is a ****ty place.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:07 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,898,349 times
Quote:
You don't read too well, do you BRG? He said I am the ONLY liberal who thinks so.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:08 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,572,630 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Chicago is a pretty ****ty place in America. I think I am the only liberal who thinks so. Lol. My friends are all infactuated with that city and I'll never understand why.
Bizarre. Try reading more slowly next time. You might actually get some semblance of the actual meaning of what you read.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:31 PM

46,001 posts, read 34,994,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
But only in the Summer. The rest of the year it is too cold to be habitable.
That is purely subjective, the cold in Chicago doesn't really bother me any more or less than the cold in other cities I have lived in over the years.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:35 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,941,177 times
If Chicago is like any other large American city, the crime is departmentalized in a few crappy areas. I've never lived anywhere near Chicago, but have visited many times. I like it. Hasn't anyone seen Ferris Bueller's day off? That's kind of what most of my Chicago trips have been like. I hate driving through it though...

Old 04-09-2013, 09:36 PM

22,634 posts, read 14,860,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Granted, I don't live there but I just visited there and looooved it. Chicago is a fabulous place to visit, shop, tour, eat . . . .
I vacationed in Chicago twice in the past four years. I also loved it. I stayed in the North Beach/Lincoln Park area. So many great shops, restaurants! Walked around "Boystown" all hours of the night and early morning ... it was very safe and very clean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Actually have you ever been to Chicago, the majority of the city is a beautiful city with amazing neighborhoods off many of the stops along the El. What you are talking about only effects a small portion of the city, which people who know anything about Chicago know that.

I have visited there a number of times over the years and would definitely live in that city.

There are also some really outstanding museums and sights in Chicago. Chicago - not New York - is America's #1 city for architecture.
The weather in winter is too cold for me. But I find Chicagoans much friendlier than Philadelphians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Love Chicago!!!! I hope I have an opportunity to move back someday!!!
If only the winters weren't so cold ... I think otherwise I would be very happy in that amazing city.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:06 PM

977 posts, read 760,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Interesting, Ginos has never cost me that much, and good job trying to inflate your numbers to make a point.
It costs more when you buy more than the soup foreigner. Good job trying to know what you're talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies