Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 09:04 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,156,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
You cant argue what I posted so you resort to trash talking my home area?
hahahaha priceless.
as the old saying goes when you cant win the argument you have to resort to trash talking to stay on your feet.
I did argue that. Did you miss it? Most of Chicago is safe and it has a ton of cultural activities.

I would also point out, dear, that you initiated the "trash talking" and now, predictably, you don't like it when it's turned on you.

Whereabouts are you at in Michiana? Granger? Mishawaka? La Paz? Niles? Beautiful places, one and all.

Old 04-07-2013, 09:07 PM

991 posts, read 1,110,243 times
I think the point has been made. Some guy runs his mouth off about Chicago because he thinks it sucks, and everyone else tells him to shut it, and provides ample evidence why Chicago is cooler than his town.

Old 04-07-2013, 09:09 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,566,362 times
Quote:
Kinda funny that again you cant argue with what I said so you resort to trash talking my home area.
South Bend and Chicago don't compare so anything else you can come up with?
Yet you started a thread comparing them.

Old 04-07-2013, 09:13 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,606,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Sleuth View Post
I think the point has been made. Some guy runs his mouth off about Chicago because he thinks it sucks, and everyone else tells him to shut it, and provides ample evidence why Chicago is cooler than his town.
Really quite beautiful when you put it like that.

Old 04-07-2013, 09:15 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,516,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Actually have you ever been to Chicago, the majority of the city is a beautiful city with amazing neighborhoods off many of the stops along the El. What you are talking about only effects a small portion of the city, which people who know anything about Chicago know that.

I have visited there a number of times over the years and would definitely live in that city.
I visited Chicago several years ago and I was very impressed. Lots to do and a great food city. I will still visit that city again. They have great steaks, hot dogs, pizza, Greek food and Italian food.

Sadly, I saw one of Chicago's worst neighborhoods when I visited the Garfield Park Conservatory on the city's west side. Wow! What a very, very, very rough looking neighborhood.

Old 04-07-2013, 09:15 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
I love Chicago myself. I think its an incredible city. I've always had the time of my life everytime I've visited.

Yeah, it has problems, but so what. Which big city is problem free?

Old 04-07-2013, 09:17 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,167,640 times
I live an hour and a half away from Chicago & while I haven't been there in awhile, which is ridiculous, the times I have have been totally fun. Sure, there are parts of Chicago that you just wouldn't want to go to, be stuck in, hang out in, but uh, that's I believe the same for every larger city in the U.S., isn't it? To say otherwise is just...ignorant.

Old 04-07-2013, 09:23 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,567,920 times
Indianapolis is an absolute joy compared to Chicago, but then so are a lot of other major US cities.

Old 04-07-2013, 09:27 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Kinda funny that again you cant argue with what I said so you resort to trash talking my home area.
South Bend and Chicago don't compare so anything else you can come up with?
Well lets start with Cook County Sales Tax, it is actually 9.25%, the second highest under Phoenix, which means you are incorrect on that one.

The State Pension Debt is a State issue, not a Chicago issue.

The murder issue of Chicago only effects a handful of neighborhoods. Do crimes and murders happen throughout the city? Sure, but the chances of being murdered in Chicago is slim to none.

Not sure where you are seeing Chicago being ranked as one of the worst school systems.

Old 04-07-2013, 09:28 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,976,447 times
Quote:
What's nice to visit isn't necessarily nice to live in.
Plus you were likely in the Loop area.
That's not all of the city and there are vast sections of Chicago that are abandoned like Detroit and filled with gangs. Tour the south and west sides to get an idea.
What do the top 10 poorest cities in America have in common? they haven't elected a Republican mayor for at least 30 years. Chicago hasn't had a Republican mayor for over 80 years Detroit I believe the last time they had a Republican Mayor is the 1960s.
Are you aware that Marion County of Indiana voted over 65% in favor of Barack Obama? Are you aware that most of the city council members of Indianapolis are democrats? Are you aware that before Mr. Ballard was mayor of Indy, there was a two term democratic mayor? Are you aware that Indiana has a democratic senator?

ALL big cities have problems. Chicago's are worse than others, but its size also has to be taken into account. You can't compare the number of homicides in the city to the number of homicides in another city, because Chicago is the third largest city in the country, any other city you're comparing it to kis likely MUCH smaller. Compare murders per 100,000, that's the fairest way to do it.

I do not see Chicago becoming Detroit, or anything close to it. Chicago has two MAJOR airports, O'Hare is the busiest airport in the world. Chicago is a WORLD class city, it has a lot of pull in the economics department, the corporate headquarters of a lot of powerful businesses. Chicago also has the tourism department, second only to New York City in the amount of skyscrapers.

Chicago's economy is a lot more diverse than Detroit's economy. Cities that are heavily reliant upon a few industries, or any type of industrial base in general, are very much at the mercy of those few companies. In Detroit's case the city became so reliant upon the auto industry that its fate was tied to it. Chicago does not have such strong ties to the auto industry, its economy is more varied.

In the first quarter of 2013 Chicago has measured a 43% drop in murder rates compared with last year. Chicago is a magnificent city with truly unlimited potential. It may be facing hard times now and under the scrutiny of the American media, but this city is not going down in flames. Look for it to continue to rise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies