Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 05:43 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
It's the same thing.
No its not. One you work for, the other one is handed to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 05:57 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,707,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post
minimum wage isn't meant to support a family on, and now others jockeying for the positions that pay low wages losing the most.
And that is the symptom of the actual, underlying problem. Folks should be jockeying for the positions that pay good wages. Lower-wage jobs have increased almost in the last ten years, while mid-wage jobs have decreased more than 5%. Meanwhile, at the same time, including the Great Recession, corporate profits have reached records. I cannot believe that any rational person has trouble seeing the moral problem with the trend this data points out.

Old 04-08-2013, 05:57 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,267,455 times
Quote:
Perhaps someone can explain this rather perplexing logic to me.
On another thread, a certain section of the workers in society has been labeled as 'degenerative parasite class'.
How does that actually work out?
Am I a degenerative parasite too, because I recently accepted a pay rise?
The actual topic in question was referring to minimum wage workers campaigning for a $15/hr rate.
So can I safely assume, that all min wage bashers out there would never accept a pay rise themselves - or is it one rule for us, but another for them.
And how dare the lower orders even ask for this anyway?
What is the world coming to.
That was an unfair evaluation made by the bashers to call these minimum wage workers parasites. Most of the time the workers who are getting minimum wage are either high schoolers, college students, Moms, or just people who could not find any other kind of work. The minimum wage I believe is 7.25 an hr. which is extremely low for ANY job or ANY person. The positions in question were, I believe McDonalds or Burger King type jobs. My initial answer to this whole "conundrum" was that these Fast Food jobs benefit the kids in more ways than just the cash they earn. McDonald's for one, will hire kids that are involved in sports and work around the kids' schedules. I know because my son worked for them while in High School.
Better yet, McDonalds will promote someone who is interested in working into their management program. They do pay minimum but these kids also get a little pocket change and still keep up their school activities.
No one, not anyone is a parasite for taking an increase in their pay and that was so unfair of the bashers..I think perhaps they may have been minimum wage workers themselves..no??
What amazes me most is the amount of time people spend minding each other's affairs..too bad there wasn't pay for that, huh? We would all be rich.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:26 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,289,826 times
The basic problem here is that people lack the intelligence to understand the problem. If you do not understand the problem you are incapable of seeing the solution.
The issue is not whether or not wages are too low; wages like every other commodity are where they belong due to the laws of supply and demand.
The real problem is that the supply / demand dynamic have been altered by the influx of workers by means of immigration.

When the supply of workers is increased faster than the demand for labor, the result is going to be lower or stagnant wages.
The simpletons, who call themselves progressives, think there is a simple solution for this problem by simply raising the minimum wage. This so called solution though only illuminates the fact that they by way of their government provided insufficient education are unable to truly understand the issue.

The problem with raising the minimum wage is that it does not address the core problem which is too many workers.
The problem of too many workers is a result of another problem caused by "progressive politics" which is not enforcing the immigration laws put in place to protect the workers.

Progressives in addition to failing to understand the mechanics of the supply / demand of the work system are incapable of understanding the ramifications of the implementation of their so called solution.

Increasing the minimum wage will have two unintended results. (For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction)
First it will drive inflation. Raising the minimum wage puts upwards pressure on wages and prices across the board. To think that we can raise minimum wage without a corresponding raise in prices for the goods and services provided by the people receiving minimum wage is fantasy.

Second it drives employers to find ways to lock down the costs of production. The most cost effective way to do this is through mechanization. The vast majority of good paying auto industry jobs have been replaced by robotics for this very reason. Robots never ask for a raise, they never go on strike, they never sue, they never go out on sick leave.

Hint to morons.... if they can build robots to build cars, they can build robots to flip burgers. Stop being stupid and get a clue!

Old 04-08-2013, 07:33 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,673,869 times
Quote:
Perhaps someone can explain this rather perplexing logic to me.

On another thread, a certain section of the workers in society has been labeled as 'degenerative parasite class'.

How does that actually work out?

Am I a degenerative parasite too, because I recently accepted a pay rise?

The actual topic in question was referring to minimum wage workers campaigning for a $15/hr rate.

So can I safely assume, that all min wage bashers out there would never accept a pay rise themselves - or is it one rule for us, but another for them.

And how dare the lower orders even ask for this anyway?

What is the world coming to.
How sad it must be to not know the difference between accepting a raise and demanding a raise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Putting aside the inflammatory labeling for the moment, are we to understand that you're so dense as to not understand the fundamental difference between "asking" for and/or receiving a raise versus trying to muster the force of government to force your employer to "give" you a raise?
Sorry. I posted before reading your response.

Great minds and all. lol

Old 04-08-2013, 08:31 AM
bUU

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
Hint to morons.... if they can build robots to build cars, they can build robots to flip burgers.
In other words, your perspective is that those uppity working poor should shut up and keep their heads down and just allow whatever abuse of power the wealth deem them worthy of. That is, of course, a morally offensive perspective that you're supporting. I'm one of those unique liberals that never bought into the open door policy that prevailed, but to be fair, today's Republicans are perfectly happy to allow farm workers to cross through the open door, as long as they can pay them slave wages, depressing the prevailing wages of American workers in that industry, incidentally. Regardless, the way things are today are the way things are today, so we all have to live with it and come up with a way forward that first and foremost is a reflection of basic human decency, and then also works out financially.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
Stop being stupid and get a clue!
Hint to greed-mongers: Stop being self-absorbed and demeaning to those who are getting a raw deal. Can we stop with such pointlessly rude exhortations now?

Old 04-08-2013, 08:32 AM

50,298 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
It's the same thing.
extortion is not the same thing.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:39 AM
bUU

That's "extortion" in the same way this is:

Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
For example, I am a licensed professional in the health care field. All you ever hear is how there is a shortage, how employers are desperate for employees, etc. Yet, somehow I never see any wage increases to attract these in-demand employees and more and more, employers are posting per diem jobs and basically making them full-time positions without any type of benefits whatsoever. I would say a large majority of people in my field have second jobs so often times someone will pick up these per diem shifts.

When I was looking for jobs, one of the places that offered me a position offered me $18/hour. I was completely taken aback, as for a supposedly in-demand profession that requires licensure, continuing education, etc and is in one of the most expensive cities around, something giving me a little over 32K/year felt almost insulting. Of course, people are desperate, so obviously someone took the position. The position I ended up taking resulted in me making $4/hour more (only because of night diff., so really $2/hour) but making nearly 10K more per year makes a huge difference for me.

And now that I'm about to be laid-off myself, I worry about the same thing---someone will low ball me an offer and I may or may not feel like I have to accept it because I'm going to be worried about not being able to find a job. Instead of continuing to learn and get incremental raises based on the length of my work, I will probably freak out at some point and then go back to making less money and feeling like I can't get ahead. Because at the end of the day they will find someone else desperate enough to fill the position and even if that person is not nearly as good as I am at the job, it's all about the bottom line---$.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:57 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,839,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Minimum wage is for part time workers, workers that get tips and is not meant to support a family.
so what are the full time jobs that pay min wage then?

are you saying they don't exist, because that would be a very strange claim indeed

Old 04-08-2013, 08:02 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,839,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post
Now instead of two people making $8/hr, one person will make $15/hr. Does this kind of basic math escape you? Literally, I know children who could process this logic better.
How about just answering the OP instead of churning out the usual old cant.

The question is: 'Why is someone considered a parasite for wanting a pay rise?'

The fact that unemployment may go up slightly as a result of an increase in wage, is not a trump card for your side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies