Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 06:17 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,226,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
A gallon of milk cost approximately 2.75 in 2008. I paid almost 5.00 a gallon yesterday. I don't have to see big fancy charts to tell me what most housewives know. All I have to do is look in my checkbook register every week for the last five years to tell you this is BS. Food prices have skyrocketed!
Isn't that due to the drought though?

I've been reading about that, and they say that caused the prices...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 07:05 AM

1,922 posts, read 2,778,297 times
I don't care who's responsible for it, because that won't fix the problem. I want to know who's gonna fix it, and who's gonna stand in the way.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:23 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,417,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
The poor and middle class were not the largest benefactors of the Bush/Obama tax cuts.
80% did. Even MTA knows that.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:45 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,142,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Isn't that due to the drought though?

I've been reading about that, and they say that caused the prices...
This year's increase COULD be in part because of the drought. But if you actually have gone into a grocery store, bought groceries to feed a family every week for the last five years, clipped coupons, budgeted for food and have half-a-brain you know that costs have risen. Astronomically. To say otherwise is idiotic. The causes of the price increases are a moot point, because the statement was that food hasn't risen.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:55 AM

20,718 posts, read 19,360,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butkus51 View Post
Banks. Hamstrung by Carter's CRA. Banks. An entity that Obama keeps printing money for. Banks. Who will yet again be told that they have to loan money to people that can least afford to take out a loan. All courtesy of the left.

Do you think Paulson and Geithner are from the left? What happens when you bring in more suckers into a ponzi scheme? They are using "leftist" mythologies to pump money to themselves. Its evil genius. It monetized poor debt with fictitious housing capital. In 2008 it was demonetized which is when I applied silver de-monitization as an historic reference. Demonetizing silver would and did work just like debt deflation.

First you sell bars of soap in a pyramid. You get your friends and relatives in on on it first. Then you get them to sell it to their friends and relatives. Then you get government to subsidize it. Then to move the last bars of soap you get the government to buy it for the poor and sell the factory to some bag holder investors.

Another broken and inconsistent conservative principle. Profit motive. Conservatives say we should run everything based on this powerful motivator. Then they fail to see where people profit from this. I am surprised they can tie their own shoe laces. Then they say the left is just trying to help the poor to get their votes. No, this is bi-partisan effort of lefty giveaways going to righty oligarchs as usual. Its the welfare-rentier dynamic I keep talking about. It not unlike the alliance of the Tzar and the peasants against the Boyars. Only in this case its the middle class workers that are the target.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:17 AM

20,718 posts, read 19,360,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post

The only benefit can be defined on how it works as a ratio between disposable income. If rich people get $10 and a poor person get $1 its pure inflation if its 10 to 1 ratio already . If the "wealthy" are at a 7 to 1 ratio, the poor are getting poorer. When rich people buy things of value that cannot be manufactured it tends to increase the cost of doing business , creates dead weight losses to move the break even point and causes unemployment. If you give a rich person more money at an auction and we are bidding on the same thing that cannot be manufactured like Van Gogh's sunflowers , I am poorer.

Tax cuts are already at the point where is will only make even elements of the middle class poorer. It will not give much relief at all to the lower classes while it will give more money to the wealthy to monopolize the FIRE sector.

50 Years Of Consumer Spending
1950s
Food
15%
17%
18%
25%
30%
32%
Housing
43%
41%
42%
33%
33%
22%
Clothing
4%
5%
7%
10%
11%
12%
Transportation
18%
17%
18%
13%
15%
15%
Medical Care
6%
7%
5%
8%
6%
5%
Recreation
6%
4%
4%
5%
3%
2%
Education & Communication
6%
4%
3%
2%
n/a
n/a

Add FICA and taxes on the middle class have gone up 30%. Add more for consumer credit and educational debt. If you define the effective government on who owns the ground like I do then you would see taxes have gone up. What goes up in price is credit fueled. Its obvious.

All a tax cut will do is move housing upwards of 50% on housing.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:24 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,947,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks
The poor and middle class were not the largest benefactors of the Bush/Obama tax cuts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
"Even" MTA?

This is how it worked. About 1/4 of the tax-cuts went to the top 1%. The remaining 3/4 went to the bottom 99%. So one side can correctly claim that a disproportionate amount went to the wealthy while the other side can correctly claim that most of the cuts didn't go to the rich.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
"Even" MTA?

This is how it worked. About 1/4 of the tax-cuts went to the top 1%. The remaining 3/4 went to the bottom 99%. So one side can correctly claim that a disproportionate amount went to the wealthy while the other side can correctly claim that most of the cuts didn't go to the rich.
Well, that's what you get when you have a large and complicated tax code.

Old 04-09-2013, 12:56 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,221,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
It is recognized that the Bush tax cuts had been the largest contributor to the debt.
Boehner Lies About Bush Tax Cuts and Deficits | Crooks and Liars
Your chart shiows yearly deficits not national debt.
Those most responsible for the debt are the voters

Old 04-09-2013, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
This year's increase COULD be in part because of the drought. But if you actually have gone into a grocery store, bought groceries to feed a family every week for the last five years, clipped coupons, budgeted for food and have half-a-brain you know that costs have risen. Astronomically. To say otherwise is idiotic. The causes of the price increases are a moot point, because the statement was that food hasn't risen.
Well, much of our food costs is also related to gas prices, since many groceries travel from the farm to the store by truck. Gas prices more than TRIPLED the last decade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies