Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 07:35 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Who "stole" the American Dream? Illegal aliens that's who.
Sure they did, you keep blaming other people instead of yourself for your own failures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 07:38 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
It was my opinion, not a cop out. If you don't like other people's opinions, you shouldn't be posting here.
It may be your opinion. Are you incapable of explaining why it is your opinion? That is what I asked.

Liberals always speak in clichés. But they cannot provide reasoned arguments for their positions. The cliché is all they have, and upon hearing the constantly repeated clichés, their votaries cheer and applaud in agreement, but they cannot present an argument for what they believe to be true.

I'd like to hear what you think "corporate greed" is, and why you believe that it exists on a significant scale that it is the reason why the "American Dream" no longer exists.

I have seen some other things you have written. I know you are not a dumb guy. Surely you have thought critically on this topic.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:42 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
It may be your opinion. Are you incapable of explaining why it is your opinion? That is what I asked.

Liberals always speak in clichés. But they cannot provide reasoned arguments for their positions. The cliché is all they have, and upon hearing the constantly repeated clichés, their votaries cheer and applaud in agreement, but they cannot present an argument for what they believe to be true.

I'd like to hear what you think "corporate greed" is, and why you believe that it exists on a significant scale that it is the reason why the "American Dream" no longer exists.

I have seen some other things you have written. I know you are not a dumb guy. Surely you have thought critically on this topic.
Funny, the same thing can be said about Republicans, always talking in cliches and talking points that are spoon fed to them.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:46 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Nice copy and paste job. No doubt from some conservative blog from somewhere.
It's no "copy and paste." It's entirely mine. Why would you think it is "copy and paste," which without credit, would be a violation of copyright.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:50 AM

991 posts, read 1,110,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
How many of your friends are able to buy a home? How many are on track to enjoy a secure retirement?
Seeing as I own a home, I think most of my colleagues have their own homes as well...we're a smaller firm but in the CPA/accounting world but we do okay. I would say I have the American Dream right now...I am happy. Maybe that's all that one can ask for.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:00 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
It's still alive for some, sure.

Overall, it's a hell of a lot tougher than it should be. Those who are highly educated or who are old and managed to hang on are doing fine. The problem is what's happening to those who, in the past, would have taken a factory job or even a McJob or retail and been able to work their way to at least a lower middle class lifestyle. The factory jobs are largely gone (although there is a manufacturing revival in the US, at least in some sectors). The McJobs and retail positions pay worse now than they used to.

Who stole it? No one. We gave it away in the form of economic policies that were designed to crush small business and benefit huge corporations (some of those huge corporations, of course, are responsible for creating tens of thousands of jobs here at home, so don't take this as a "corporations are evil" statement when it isn't) and the very wealthy. Too many people bought into the absurd fantasy that they were going to be the ones at the top.

Last edited by i7pXFLbhE3gq; 04-09-2013 at 08:11 AM..

Old 04-09-2013, 08:06 AM

991 posts, read 1,110,243 times
I think there are a lot of people out there pursuing careers that they have studied for and are doing well in them. This economy has been down for a while, but there are jobs out there. If I were to survey my graduating class (2005) from college, I would say that a good percentage of them are doing pretty well - not rich, mind you, but probably above water and improving.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:07 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
"You are what you think you are."

As I look back over my life, I realized one thing.

I never thought of failure, even though I've changed careers (always sales related) four times.

Surround yourself with positive, successful people.

Network.

HowTF do you do that when you were raised by drug addicts and alcoholics? How do you do that when you're poor and all you can afford is a room in a house full of druggies and alcoholics who bring an ongoing dramatic soap opera into the house because they are ruled by their hormones and their alcohol receptors?

The rich and successful travel in their own circles, which are not open to poor people. I'm not aware of any positive and successful club that has open meetings.

I've never heard of any network of burger flippers. Sorry if I'm crankier than usual this morning.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:07 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Default Who Stole the American Dream

Wall St

K street

Old 04-09-2013, 08:08 AM

1,976 posts, read 2,353,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
No one stole it. We gave it away.
Read the book, very informative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies