Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2013, 09:34 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,294,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Why shouldn't they be described in negative terms, they are criminals which in and of itself is a negative thing. Is it to become the policy that one group of criminals deserves less or no negative connotations? Is the idea to get people to think that these illegals are just normal people doing nothing more than walking along looking for a better life?
If that's the case then you'd better start coming up with new names for many types of criminal behavior, especially theft of all types. He's not a bank robber, he just wants a better life for himself and his family and since he has found it's hard work to do it the regular way he'll just take it.
How about the term "convicted felon"? They've done their time, why be so negative and cause people to not like them.

Then we come up with the "those poor Mexicans or whomever living in a corrupt country just want the american dream". Really? So do many people who're born here and legally immigrate here. Their poor corrupt country is not our issue and instead of running away and forcing yourself on someone else how 'bout trying to fix where you're at?
I think the negative connotations need to remain, there are supposed to be consequences to committing crimes isn't there?
Again, that is the goal for conservatives. So why not admit it? conservatives should say we like the term illegal immigrants because it negatively defines this group of people who we are opposed to politically, and we understand that this language helps us in achieving our goal.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:52 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,301,422 times
Wink Criminalien?

Is Criminalien better?
Actually, I prefer DEPORTED.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:52 AM

1,137 posts, read 971,552 times
By the very definition of the word, they are in fact illegal aliens. Simply because hispanics dont like it doesnt change the fact.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:01 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
He sees himself as a prominent voice for Latinos regardless of origin. He made that clear in his book.
Self-anointed, of course.

I don't know a single person - Hispanic or otherwise - that look to Geraldo as their voice.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:21 AM

3,846 posts, read 2,383,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashed Potatoes View Post
By the very definition of the word, they are in fact illegal aliens. Simply because hispanics dont like it doesnt change the fact.

"Illegal" is a legal term.

Isn't there a liberal medical term that can replace it?

Old 04-10-2013, 12:30 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,759,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Again, that is the goal for conservatives. So why not admit it? conservatives should say we like the term illegal immigrants because it negatively defines this group of people who we are opposed to politically, and we understand that this language helps us in achieving our goal.
Who denied anything?

It's a term for a group of people that are here criminally that too much of our tax dollars support.

There's nothing to deny.

Old 04-10-2013, 01:26 PM

62,866 posts, read 29,098,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
Who denied anything?

It's a term for a group of people that are here criminally that too much of our tax dollars support.

There's nothing to deny.
Exactly, and what does conservatism have to do with it? I know many Democrats and liberals who call them illegal aliens also because that is what they are. They are an alien (foreinger) in our country illegally, period! Thus illegal alien. That is what they are called in immigration law terms also. I am sick of these pro-illegals and ethnocentrics trying to white wash what they are with their stupid PC terms and trying to force everyone else to do so also.

Old 04-10-2013, 02:09 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,930,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
If you're talking about that particular topic, then fine.

Otherwise, no...not acceptable. Yeah, its STILL a problem.

Yes he did. Just because YOU didn't know doesn't mean that the rest of the world didn't know. Geraldo has always said that he's Jewish.

And what does it matter what his first name is? Damn...you're butthurt about that? He can call himself whatever he wants. Why does that bother you so much? Just worry about YOUR name.

He's chosen to identify himself and align himself with his Puerto Rican heritage. That's his right. You're butthurt about that too?
Your probably young to remember.....he's nothing but a Chameleon!

He nothing, but a reporter from Enquirer (for those inquiry minds) he wrote a kiss and tell book about the women he slept with, oh my 1000 how macho is that......... Now that's some classy guy!

He should stay out of politics and then most won't get butthurt by anything he does. Go back to marrying every 5 yrs and having children when he should just wait to be a grandpa.

Old 04-10-2013, 02:48 PM

62,866 posts, read 29,098,263 times
So he identifies himself with his Puerto Rican heritage. What has that to do with being against the term "illegal alien"? Last I looked Puerto Ricans aren't here illegally in our country so what's it to him?

Old 04-10-2013, 03:10 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
So he identifies himself with his Puerto Rican heritage. What has that to do with being against the term "illegal alien"? Last I looked Puerto Ricans aren't here illegally in our country so what's it to him?
He's Hispanic...that's what it is to him. *shoulder shrug* He has a right to take up any cause he wants to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Your probably young to remember.....he's nothing but a Chameleon!

He nothing, but a reporter from Enquirer (for those inquiry minds) he wrote a kiss and tell book about the women he slept with, oh my 1000 how macho is that......... Now that's some classy guy!

He should stay out of politics and then most won't get butthurt by anything he does. Go back to marrying every 5 yrs and having children when he should just wait to be a grandpa.
I remember back when he was a reporter.

Look, i didn't say that he was my friend. I didn't even say that i agreed with him with this latest absurd statement about "Negro."

I'm simply saying that he has a right to take up any cause he wants to take up. Nothing more, nothing less.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Self-anointed, of course.

I don't know a single person - Hispanic or otherwise - that look to Geraldo as their voice.
That's not really my business. I'm not a member of that group, so that's between Geraldo and Hispanics. I don't want people butting into intra-black affairs if they aren't black, so i'm just being consistent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies