Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2013, 02:38 PM

315 posts, read 255,935 times

Advertisements

Penis envy.

Old 04-10-2013, 02:41 PM

11,759 posts, read 14,648,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
Nobody is claiming feminists seek to diminish the rights of anyone.
Have you forgotten the title of your thread?

Quote:
Why are feminists so against men's rights advocacy groups?

Old 04-10-2013, 02:42 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,055,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Have you read the facts the OP presented? Yet, you people still ask him to present the facts on men's issues.

Old 04-10-2013, 02:47 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,202,347 times
Quote:
If their thinking limits my ability to gain employment, have equal custody or slice off a portion of my genitals without my consent, then yes I perceive it as discrimination. Again, just because you choose not to see or admit this, does not mean it isn't discrimination. How would a man prove that he was denied a job based on his gender? All a woman has to do is say they hired a man instead of her and so many laws jump out to protect her give her justice. A man must first prove without a doubt that discrimination was a factor. This is why affirmative action needs to go away. It provides swift justice for women and minorities being discriminated against, there are no such laws protecting men from similar discrimination.
There is nothing to see, you still have not shown ANY legal discrimination.

I do remember a recent case where a man won a discrimination case when a black woman was hired over him.

I do know many fathers with primary custody.

Today’s Workplace » Big Settlements In Two Male Sex Discrimination Cases

The laws work for men too.

Old 04-10-2013, 02:51 PM

2,505 posts, read 2,326,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Yes, while most feminists don't seek to take the rights away from anyone they do oppose men forming MRA's. Every MRA is listed as a hate group whether they are or not. They don't have to do anything wrong for feminists to oppose them. My group is local and small, we support women's rights to the extent they don't infringe on our rights. So far they have not. Out goal is to raise awareness of society's false perception of normal male behavior, for some reason local feminist groups protest us. We still don't understand why and when we ask in person or in writing, we are told that MRA's are misogynistic, sexist, and nothing but hate groups. They make no attempt to get to know us or what we stand for. They would rather assume we are bad as it perpetuates their ideology that all men are privileged regardless of any circumstances.

Old 04-10-2013, 02:52 PM

2,505 posts, read 2,326,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
There is nothing to see, you still have not shown ANY legal discrimination.

I do remember a recent case where a man won a discrimination case when a black woman was hired over him.

I do know many fathers with primary custody.

Today’s Workplace » Big Settlements In Two Male Sex Discrimination Cases

The laws work for men too.
So male circumcision isn't systematic discrimination, but female genital mutilation is? The only reason you think I have not made a case for legal discrimination is that you choose to ignore it.

Old 04-10-2013, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
Have you read the facts the OP presented? Yet, you people still ask him to present the facts on men's issues.
The OP has presented "I heard", yahoo answers, and blogs, His one actual news article was shot down already.

No one has shown any actual discrimination. Someone thinking bad things about you or your profession is not legal discrimination.

Someone firing you because of your gender is.

Old 04-10-2013, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Yes, while most feminists don't seek to take the rights away from anyone they do oppose men forming MRA's. Every MRA is listed as a hate group whether they are or not. They don't have to do anything wrong for feminists to oppose them. My group is local and small, we support women's rights to the extent they don't infringe on our rights. So far they have not. Out goal is to raise awareness of society's false perception of normal male behavior, for some reason local feminist groups protest us. We still don't understand why and when we ask in person or in writing, we are told that MRA's are misogynistic, sexist, and nothing but hate groups. They make no attempt to get to know us or what we stand for. They would rather assume we are bad as it perpetuates their ideology that all men are privileged regardless of any circumstances.
You don't raise awareness by posting "I heard" or someones blog. You raise awareness by posting actual FACTS. Show the medical issues involved in circumcision. Show how men are being LEGALLY discriminated against in the workplace. Someone looking at you funny is not discrimination.

Raise awareness without bashing the people your are trying to gain the support of.

Your op said "Why are feminists so against men's rights advocacy groups?" Some might be on specific issues, but you will lose those who would have otherwise been on your side by bashing pretty much anyone who isn't already on board for your cause.

I certainly wouldn't help you after the illogical, ranting, non fact based presentation.

Try outlining your points, and backing them up with actual studies. Put the numbers, from a reputable source, in peoples faces.
Like this.

"Circumcision should be banned because of the medical issues associated with it. Here are the statistics of life long medical issues associated with MGM....
Here are the psychological issues associated with MGM...
Here is a place where you can read about the issue of MGM and the bill that has been going through congress since 2004."

If you come out swinging at me, I will fight back. If you present a well reasoned argument, then I would take you seriously.

Old 04-10-2013, 03:05 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,647,340 times
Quote:
If their thinking limits my ability to gain employment, have equal custody or slice off a portion of my genitals without my consent, then yes I perceive it as discrimination. Again, just because you choose not to see or admit this, does not mean it isn't discrimination. How would a man prove that he was denied a job based on his gender? All a woman has to do is say they hired a man instead of her and so many laws jump out to protect her give her justice. A man must first prove without a doubt that discrimination was a factor. This is why affirmative action needs to go away. It provides swift justice for women and minorities being discriminated against, there are no such laws protecting men from similar discrimination.
I don't know know where you're getting these ideas.

It's extremely hard for anyone to show discrimination in hiring. If a woman applies for a job and a man is hired, there's not a court in this country that is going to say that proves sex discrimination.

Where women have faced overt discrimination is being paid less for equal work, and in promotion practices. And even when the discrimination has been very overt, like Lilly Ledbetter; every single one of her 15 male colleagues who were also Goodyear area managers made several hundred dollars to $2000 more a month than she, she still lost her case, after a decade in the courts.

Old 04-10-2013, 03:05 PM

Quote:
So male circumcision isn't systematic discrimination, but female genital mutilation is? The only reason you think I have not made a case for legal discrimination is that you choose to ignore it.
The MGM bill has been introduced ever year since 2004. I have signed petitions on the state level to have it banned.

I agree with you on this issue, but you really need to work on your presentation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies