Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 03:14 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
'It's our right to buy what we needs' they chanted - as their millions in dollars made in drug sales blocked the oppressive gun sales laws. One gang member remarked - 'It's our Constipational right to buy guns - and shoot them too!'

How the NRA won
Couldn't get the link to come up. Whatever, I get the jist. Gangbangers propping up the NRA. Yea, you bet. They all just bop down to Big 5 to buy their MACs Uzis and AKs. "Constipational" is right. Full of sπit!!. I am not an NRA member, I have been, in the past, but I give my money to GOA now.

Nevertheless, attempts, such as this, to discredit the NRA, and make it appear as if gangbangers are actually part of their base, rather annoys me. As if bangers care about firearms laws. Uh hub, they are law abiding gun owners, who use their firearms for legal activities. (Sigh)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 03:16 PM

3,846 posts, read 2,384,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
Why isn't social commentary appreciated...do I have to go all Rush Limpballs on you?
All of those millions of dollars donated to the NRA came from individuals, not corporations.

Also, the money came more from individuals than from Republicans.

9,884 posts, read 10,972,072 times
Me, either...
But the thing that stood out clearest in my opinion was that the people ranting about "The NRA" seem to forget just exactly WHO makes up "The NRA"!
NONE of the pro-Second Amendment groups are acting by themselves, they represent millions of individual gun owners. Most of those gun owners have no connection with any gun or gun accessory manufacturer. In fact, many of them are your friends and neighbors.
In fact, many "gun lobbyists" are not members of any organization. They, too, just might be your friend or neighbor. I know, because I am one of them. I have been writing to my Senators and my lone House member, telling them that they must THINK before they vote. If what they are voting on would not have prevented any of the recent tragedies, they must NOT vote FOR it!
Yes, I am a pro-gun lobbyist, just like most of the other people in my state!
We TELL our D.C. representatives what we want them to do! We also tell those in the STATE capitol what they must do!
Have YOU?

4,395 posts, read 4,910,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
If you're a criminal, why WOULDN'T you support the NRA? If we really had universal background checks with teeth for EVERY gun sale, they wouldn't be able to buy guns legally, and if they got caught with one, it be another tool for law enforcement to pile on charges and lock them back up. The same goes with owning and being able to purchase high capacity mags.
It is already illegal for a felon to possess a gun or have immediate access to one.

How will you enforce the the background check on mags that don't have serial numbers? The minimum number of mags I have for a gun is 4 and the max is 40. On average if every gun that accepts a mag has 10 mags in circulation, that's millions.

Old 04-09-2013, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonarchist View Post
All of those millions of dollars donated to the NRA came from individuals, not corporations.

Even if it came from a corporation, the original source were individuals. Larry Potterfield, owner of Midway USA, has an option of rounding up an order to the next dollar and those few cents go to the NRA. I do it when I order and I know a lot of others do. So many in fact that Larry has given a total of more than $8M dollars to the NRA. That's a LOT of orders for things like AR-15s and ammunition if you think about it.

Old 04-09-2013, 03:26 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,203,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
It is already illegal for a felon to possess a gun or have immediate access to one.

How will you enforce the the background check on mags that don't have serial numbers? The minimum number of mags I have for a gun is 4 and the max is 40. On average if every gun that accepts a mag has 10 mags in circulation, that's millions.
And if you don't do comprehensive background checks, you make it really easy for felons to buy weapons without having to jump through a lot of hoops. If they get caught with the gun, it's even more charges that can be piled on to keep them in jail longer. Al Capone didn't go to jail for racketeering or for murder--it was for tax evasion. The more tools prosecutors have to send and keep bad guys in jail, the safer everyone else is.

Old 04-09-2013, 03:38 PM

Quote:
And if you don't do comprehensive background checks, you make it really easy for felons to buy weapons without having to jump through a lot of hoops. If they get caught with the gun, it's even more charges that can be piled on to keep them in jail longer. Al Capone didn't go to jail for racketeering or for murder--it was for tax evasion. The more tools prosecutors have to send and keep bad guys in jail, the safer everyone else is.
Jump to the 2:00 mark about background checks - Gun Myths - YouTube

Piled on for extra time. That's funny. They aren't serving full sentences for murder what makes you think that an extra 6 months for not having a registered gun will do anything to deter someone.

Old 04-09-2013, 05:06 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,810,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonarchist View Post

Yeah - individual gangbangers... and name me one gangbanger that's a Republican - yeah, that's right, none of them are THAT stupid!

Old 04-09-2013, 05:39 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,203,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
Jump to the 2:00 mark about background checks - Gun Myths - YouTube

Piled on for extra time. That's funny. They aren't serving full sentences for murder what makes you think that an extra 6 months for not having a registered gun will do anything to deter someone.
Let's try real facts this time:
Gun shows in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"Presently, 18 states regulate private firearm sales at gun shows. Seven states require background checks on all gun sales at gun shows (California, Colorado (§12-26.1-101 and § 24-33.5-424, CRS), Rhode Island, Connecticut, Oregon, New York, and Illinois). Four states (Hawaii, Maryland, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania) require background checks on all handgun, but not long gun, purchasers at gun shows. Six states require individuals to obtain a permit to purchase handguns that involves a background check (Massachusetts, Michigan, North Carolina, Iowa, Nebraska). Certain counties in Florida require background checks on all private sales of handguns at gun shows. The remaining 33 states do not restrict private, intrastate sales of firearms at gun shows in any manner."

As for the rest, what makes you think every criminal who uses a gun is in prison in life for murder? My husband is a former prosecutor--they try to pile on EVERY charge that they can make stick to put people in jail. It may not deter them from committing a crime, but if it keeps them locked up longer (and a felony charge is usually a whole lot longer than six months) then it's one less bad guy walking around. I've said this over and over, but they didn't put Al Capone in prison for racketeering or murder--it was for TAX EVASION.

Old 04-09-2013, 05:42 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,819,598 times
Quote:
Let's try real facts this time:
Gun shows in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"Presently, 18 states regulate private firearm sales at gun shows. Seven states require background checks on all gun sales at gun shows (California, Colorado (§12-26.1-101 and § 24-33.5-424, CRS), Rhode Island, Connecticut, Oregon, New York, and Illinois). Four states (Hawaii, Maryland, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania) require background checks on all handgun, but not long gun, purchasers at gun shows. Six states require individuals to obtain a permit to purchase handguns that involves a background check (Massachusetts, Michigan, North Carolina, Iowa, Nebraska). Certain counties in Florida require background checks on all private sales of handguns at gun shows. The remaining 33 states do not restrict private, intrastate sales of firearms at gun shows in any manner."

As for the rest, what makes you think every criminal who uses a gun is in prison in life for murder? My husband is a former prosecutor--they try to pile on EVERY charge that they can make stick to put people in jail. It may not deter them from committing a crime, but if it keeps them locked up longer (and a felony charge is usually a whole lot longer than six months) then it's one less bad guy walking around.
They pile on every charge they can possibly think of to get people to take a plea deal. "You could get 23 years in prison, but if you take the deal it will be only 3 years" when they don't have enough evidence for 8 out of the 10 charges and the two charges they do have enough for will get them a nickel at most.

If every criminal demanded a jury trials as is their right, the whole justice system would collapse in less than a week. Over 95% of cases plea out without going to trial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies