Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 09:45 AM

5,985 posts, read 13,123,451 times

Advertisements

Lets conclude the thread:

I think its safe to say that: Its clear that more than enough people feel offended by the flag, so out of simple awareness and respect its best not to display since its so charged.

However I think the main point, as well as the main point of all that classic southern pop culture (Lynyrd Skynyrd, Dukes of Hazard) and the point of the Brad Paisley song "Accidental Racist": is simply that they don't mean to express anything hostile, offensive, or racist.

The point is, maybe they shouldn't display it, because of how its perceived, but if they are displaying it, they don't mean to be offensive, that they really do think its just a heritage thing, so don't automatically judge the individual as racist, just because the flag has racist connotations.

Like I said, I liked the song.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 10:31 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
But most people don't mean to offend anyone with the confederate flag. The point is, although it may offend people, its misunderstood.
I agree that most people probably don't mean to offend people with the display.

Still though, i don't see the point of the flag at this point.

That said, it doesn't offend me one bit. I just see it as the "proud loser" symbol. They didn't get to keep the Confederacy or their slaves. So they can keep their flag as a symbol of that. *shoulder shrug*

Old 04-12-2013, 01:51 PM

59,056 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Just because one black guy makes a video defending the Confederate flag doesn't mean he is representing all of Black America. Personally I find the flag offensive but people are allowed to fly it up on their property since they have the right to do so by law.
And the EXACT same thing can be said in reverse. Just because some blacks make a fuss and decrying the Confederate flag doesn't mean they are representing all blacks or all Americans.

Because a racist group stole the flag doesn't mean every one who flies it belongs or agree with the klan.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Well, the American flag was flown on the ships that brought the slaves here, so . . .
And flying the Union Jack, the British flag, isn't looked down on nor has it been given the same ridicule even though it was England who we fought and gained our FREEDOM from.

Some just like to look for things to whine about.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELR123 View Post
The flag represents a troubled time in American history, in which 600,000 soldiers died, and a regime that supported the continuation of human enslavement.

You don't see Germans displaying the Third Reich's flag.
What I find odd, is some think the flag re resents the whole South and the Confederacywhen in fact it was NOT the official flag of the Confederacy. It was Virginia, I believe , Battle flag from 1 unit.

The reason many don't like the flag is because the klan STOLE the flag and used it as their flag.

If the klan had NOT chose this flag the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People and the rest of the Country, especially blacks, would care less.

Old 04-12-2013, 04:44 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,000,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
What I find odd, is some think the flag re resents the whole South and the Confederacywhen in fact it was NOT the official flag of the Confederacy. It was Virginia, I believe , Battle flag from 1 unit.

The reason many don't like the flag is because the klan STOLE the flag and used it as their flag.

If the klan had NOT chose this flag the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People and the rest of the Country, especially blacks, would care less.
Wrong! The flag stood for Southern pride and it's way of life at that time which included slavery. What ever flag the Klan decided to choose, does not change the fact that the confederate flag represents racial superiority and enslavement over people.

Old 04-12-2013, 06:14 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,167,680 times
Quote:
The big difference is that slavery would have still continued has the Confederate States won the war.
This was an interesting mockumentary that shows an alternative history perpective, in which the South won the Civil War instead of the Union States.

C.S.A.: The Confederate States of America - YouTube
You are inaccurate. In fact, as a part of the Articles of the Confederacy, the importation of slaves was illegal. They realized slavery wasn't a good thing, and that was a prelude to phasing it out.

Additionally, the flag in the video, isn't the confederate flag, it's the battle flag of northern va.

Old 04-12-2013, 06:48 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
They realized slavery wasn't a good thing, and that was a prelude to phasing it out.
Oh, please. Importation of slaves was already illegal since 1808.

They did, however, feel it necessary to add these little tidbits:

Quote:
No bill of attainder, ex post facto law, or law denying or impairing the right of property in negro slaves shall be passed.
- or this:

Quote:
The citizens of each State shall be entitled to all the privileges and immunities of citizens in the several States; and shall have the right of transit and sojourn in any State of this Confederacy, with their slaves and other property; and the right of property in said slaves shall not be thereby impaired.
- or this:

Quote:
The Confederate States may acquire new territory; ... In all such territory the institution of negro slavery, as it now exists in the Confederate States, shall be recognized and protected be Congress and by the Territorial government; and the inhabitants of the several Confederate States and Territories shall have the right to take to such Territory any slaves lawfully held by them in any of the States or Territories of the Confederate States.
Avalon Project - Constitution of the Confederate States; March 11, 1861

The ban on importation of slaves was a sop to France and particularly Britain, who'd spent a lot of money, ships and men on stopping the Transatlantic slave trade. It certainly wasn't a new and humane invention - the trade had been banned for over 50 years at the time of secession.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:29 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,000,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
You are inaccurate. In fact, as a part of the Articles of the Confederacy, the importation of slaves was illegal. They realized slavery wasn't a good thing, and that was a prelude to phasing it out.

Additionally, the flag in the video, isn't the confederate flag, it's the battle flag of northern va.
Good grief! Some people just want make every excuse for the South when it comes to slavery. Now were saying that the Confederacy didn't like Slavery?

Old 04-13-2013, 04:33 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,167,680 times
Quote:
Good grief! Some people just want make every excuse for the South when it comes to slavery. Now were saying that the Confederacy didn't like Slavery?
Good Grief, some people cannot read.

1. I wasn't making excuses.

2. There absolutely was some people in the south who didn't like slavery, even Robert E Lee thought it was sinful.

3. There were people in the south who DID like slavery, just like people in the north. Did you know that General Grant's family owned slaves? Did you know that slavery in the north was alive and well till almost a year after the Civil War ended?

4. Learn to read and comprehend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies