Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 09:42 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,222,166 times

Advertisements

The OP and a bunch of you didn't even read the OP's link!!

His letter expressed a number of concerns, but none of them were about indoctrination. One concern was that the district had privatized the testing, and the teachers union didn't fight hard enough to stop it.

Another huge issue he raised was is that teachers were forced to teach to a standard curriculum and use standard tests and quizzes, vs. letting the teacher determine what information their students did or did not understand on the topic, and being allowed to adapt in the classroom to meet those needs. That doesn't mean that the kids are being "indoctrinated" with information--good grief! It means that if you're an English teacher, and if a group of kids in your class are having trouble understanding how to use colons and semicolons, you can't develop your own quiz to help you understand exactly which kids get it and which kids don't, so you can reteach the information if necessary before you move on to another topic. That problem--removing the ability of teachers to actually run their own classrooms--springs largely from the "No Child Left Behind" policy forcing schools to meet state testing standards.

I'm sorry, but this thread is a complete joke.

Last edited by mb1547; 04-10-2013 at 09:52 AM..

Old 04-10-2013, 09:47 AM

3,846 posts, read 2,390,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Those are the talking points. Where does critical thinking come in when K-12 is full of "multiple choice" answers ?

Pick a number, any number.

Getting good grades these days is based on luck of the draw.

Or, card counting. (Which is why so many autistic kids get such high scores)

Autism exists in degrees, and can be a cognizant aquirement for specific purposes.

Last edited by Nonarchist; 04-10-2013 at 10:21 AM..

Old 04-10-2013, 09:50 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,793,804 times
The basic premise of the resignation letter was that public schools sold out to corporate testing firms and now everything is based on test scores. As a parent I could care less about test scores. I just want to make sure my son can identify a problem, come up with a solution, and then carry out that solution. I want him to enjoy learning and be a life long learner with a thirst for knowledge. When he's older, I'm not going to stress him out about some random test that doesn't matter much in the big picture.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
it is a system, education is not what matters. our kids are being bred to live in a community type life. forget math and reading, lets focus on self esteem and how to solve world peace. The system is in need of male teachers. the government would go crazy if the ration was reversed. they would create incentives to get famale teachers. why dont they make an effort to make the teching profession 50% of each sex.
What in the H did the OP's have to do with this garbled line of thought? The problem is that many schools have resorted to teaching to the standardized tests so they meet state standards. If kids don't get it, too bad--you aren't allowed to reteach. You just have to move on. First, you don't teach kids to think critically that way--you learn to memorize what you need to pass a test. It's not education. Second, kids--even bright kids--who don't master the information the first time around fall behind unnecessarily. If the teacher has the flexibility to actually run their own classroom and teach according to the needs of the group of kids he or she is working with, lots of those problems disappear. Most of us who aren't TWELVE had almost entirely female teachers growing up, and we did just fine--this has absolutely nothing to do with gender.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
The basic premise of the resignation letter was that public schools sold out to corporate testing firms and now everything is based on test scores. As a parent I could care less about test scores. I just want to make sure my son can identify a problem, come up with a solution, and then carry out that solution. I want him to enjoy learning and be a life long learner with a thirst for knowledge. When he's older, I'm not going to stress him out about some random test that doesn't matter much in the big picture.
This^^ Those are the skills--the EDUCATIONAL TRAINING--that will take kids far in life, vs. just memorizing the information for a standardized test just long enough to pass it.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:55 AM

3,846 posts, read 2,390,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
This^^ Those are the skills--the EDUCATIONAL TRAINING--that will take kids far in life, vs. just memorizing the information for a standardized test just long enough to pass it.
Dodgeball teaches kids to . . THINK FAST!

Some kids think that to "think fast" is to work on their weight problem.

Other kids, because of parental influence, think that to fast has something to do with Christian Doctrine.

With me, it's always been, prima facie, catch it, or dodge it.

I've always been discriminative as to what I have chosen to "catch".

Old 04-10-2013, 10:09 AM

30,145 posts, read 18,743,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post

Good luck then with the ACT, SAT, GRE, MCAT, DAT, LSAT.

While you do not care about standardized testing, the rest of the world does.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:28 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,400,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
conservatives don't really believe in public education and never have.

First the idea that all children should be educated is something that many conservatives think is a waste of time after a certain point because they believe many children just can't learn all that much after a certain point, and we waste money on those children's education.

Also, the idea of American citizens of differing backgrounds getting together as a city or a state or a community to educate children deciding based on diverse ideas how and what those children should learn is terrifying to conservatives because they view so many other Americans as enemies out to destroy America and because they have a very narrow definition of who is a real American.

They don't want those people to have any input into how children are educated. To them courses should only be taught in certain very narrow ways touching only on certain subjects.
Any deviation is understood by conservatives as indoctrination.

blah blah blah......

FACT: Liberals have been in control of our public education system for a very long time and it is currently considered a laughing stock in the world at large.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Good luck then with the ACT, SAT, GRE, MCAT, DAT, LSAT.

While you do not care about standardized testing, the rest of the world does.
If you've learned the basics and you have good general knowledge, plus PROBLEM SOLVING AND REASONING ABILITY you'll do great on the ACT, SAT, etc. etc. The problem comes in when kids learn rote information for tests but they don't learn critical thinking that goes with it, so they can't apply what they've learned to problem solving. A lot (not all) of the college entrance testing is problem solving. Even taking the tests themselves is a strategic process--figuring out how to narrow down the answers that you might not be sure about. Not all standardized testing is bad when it's used to demonstrate what you've learned and how you can reason. The problem comes in when it's the only teaching tool available, which is what the teacher in the link was concerned about.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:04 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,035,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post

The only hope for real education in America is home schooling and the parochial system.
Column: How home schooling threatens monopoly education

"Does this mean the end of public education? No. But it does mean that the old model -- which dates to the 19th Century,
when schools were explicitly compared to factories -- is at risk.
Smarter educators will start thinking about how to update a 19th Century product to suit 21st Century realities.
Less-smart educators will hunker down and fight change tooth and nail."

Eddie Vedder Times Are Changing (With Lyrics) - YouTube

The times, they are a changin
Home schoolers unite
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies