Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 10:34 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,668,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Well, ironically if you think about it we wouldn't know we weren't here if we didn't exist and given the near infinite nature of space the odds were a virtual guarantee of it occurring.

We might have won the lottery, but when you buy a trillion trillion trillion tickets....

We are just a flea fart in the cosmos and yeah, eventually human life on earth will end and that will be looooong before our sun goes supernova.
I agree with everything you said except our sun. It won't be going supernova. Its fate will be a white dwarf and will ultimately fizzle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 10:34 AM

142 posts, read 120,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoD Guy View Post
Because the libs make it a career of bawling about Bush.
You can move on now.
And some other morons decide that any thread about anything is the perfect forum to whine and snivel about liberals.

You, for example.

You must be a real hit at parties.

"Hi, there, I'm Bob, how are you?"
"Obama sucks!"
"Um... well, how about this weather?"
"Stupid Democrats!"
"Well... these appetizers are pretty good, aren't they?"
"Scumbag libs!"
"Ah... so what do you do for a living?"
"I hate Harry Reid!"
"I see- oh, look at the time, I really should be going. Gotta run, sorry, you know..."

Old 04-11-2013, 11:06 AM

78,331 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
I agree with everything you said except our sun. It won't be going supernova. Its fate will be a white dwarf and will ultimately fizzle.
You are right, I mispoke....I meant expand far enough to fry us all which of course isn't a supernova.

Old 04-11-2013, 11:29 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,959 times
Humanity will go through another dark age within the next thousand years naturally bringing back many of the things that kept the population down between the fall of Rome and the industrial revolution. Our modern society may last another 100 years at the most. It will be a spectacular collapse, but life will go on.

Old 04-11-2013, 11:38 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,457,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
naturally bringing back many of the things that kept the population down between the fall of Rome and the industrial revolution
Really? Will humanity suddenly forget how to cure the plague, sanitize water, and preserve food? Will we somehow un-invent electricity, the internal combustion engine, computers, and the Internet?

Old 04-11-2013, 11:48 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Really? Will humanity suddenly forget how to cure the plague, sanitize water, and preserve food? Will we somehow un-invent electricity, the internal combustion engine, computers, and the Internet?
Many of the Roman inventions and technology was lost after their fall. When society is reduced to total chaos, with anarchy, death, disease, and destruction everywhere, it may be difficult to keep things like the Internet or the electrical grid going. Just look at it today in third world nations. Our way of life is a lot more vulnerable than you think. It could be lost in a generation under the right circumstances. We will see probably a century of extreme upheaval. It will be a time that no one is going to want to live. Its during this time the earth's popularion will be reduced to a sustainable level and standard of living will be forced down to sustainability. After that, the society that will emerge will be much simpler than today's society.

Earth does not have the resources to even support 7 billion people living an American standard of living, let alone future population growth.

Old 04-11-2013, 12:51 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post
LOS ANGELES (CBSDC/AP) — Stephen Hawking, who spent his career decoding the universe and even experienced weightlessness, is urging the continuation of space exploration — for humanity’s sake.

The 71-year-old Hawking said he did not think humans would survive another 1,000 years “without escaping beyond our fragile planet.”
You would do well to heed his advice.

Too bad the Department of Education Failure has dumb-downed America's future.

But then look at the bright side....eventually other countries will be taking advantage of "slave labor" in the US, so you might actually have some jobs a few centuries from now.

Concurring...

Mircea

Old 04-11-2013, 01:16 PM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Earth does not have the resources to even support 7 billion people living an American standard of living, let alone future population growth.
The "American standard of living" is a poor standard, based on waste and inefficiency.

On the contrary, I foresee that the planet could support 28 billion or more - IF - there was a planetwide consensus to colonize and exploit the resources of the solar system.

My solution is to boost productivity, thicken the life bearing volume to accommodate the coming billions, substitute space colonization for incessant war over resources, and thus establish world peace. For without space colonization there can be no world peace, and without world peace we cannot afford space colonization.

Old 04-11-2013, 01:43 PM

945 posts, read 967,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post

No, you are right. We are born with all the knowledge that has been accumulated before us innately. We don't get taught language, ideas, science, math, etc from others, it just ingrained in our DNA.

Just FYI, every person dies, there knowledge may or may not be passed on. Since a new batch of people will be inheriting the Earth in a 100+ years, they will clearly be born with a deep understanding of electrical engineering, medicine and computer science and will be ready to work by age 1.

We have a winnnnnnnnnnnnnner!

Old 04-11-2013, 01:47 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,670,302 times
Back when I was 18 I emailed Hawking telling him this. I didn't get an email back.
And now he's telling other people?
That's low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies