Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 11:25 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,670,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
And what a great idea, government run daycare er uh pre-schools.
I wonder how long before someone will shoot one up?
Please tell me you spent many hours conjuring up this thoughtful, insightful comment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 11:49 AM

1,676 posts, read 1,534,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Unless you are young or completely new to politics this is normal for any president as far back as I can remember. Just look at all the partisan hacks here.
I'm young, but I'm not THAT young. I've been voting for as long as I've been able (I was 19 the first time I was able to vote even though I registered as an independent shortly after my 18th birthday), and while I don't really follow politics as closely as I used to I still like to keep on the up and up because I like knowing what's going on in the world around me.

I certainly was no fan of Bush for a number of reasons but that doesn't automatically mean I have a raging hard on for Obama. Gitmo is still open, the ACA sucks because it didn't go nearly far enough (single payer, please), the whole gun control issue is stupid and ultimately pointless (for the record I oppose legal automatic weapons and civilians owning military grade weapons, but I support universal background checks and don't care about clip size or any of that other crap politicians are going on about), the drone policy is horrifying, etc.

However, despite all these faults I still have respect for the office of president and there is no doubt in my mind that both Bush and Obama act(ed) in ways that they felt was right for the country as a whole. Being president is undoubtedly enormously stressful (just look at how Bush looked in 2000 compared to 2008, and look at how Obama looked in 2008 compared to now) and they are forced to make decisions knowing fully well that huge numbers of the populace are going to hate them for it.

I find it utterly disheartening that these frothing-at-the-mouth types are the people who get the most attention while those of us who clamor for reasonability and mature, adult dialogue are completely cast aside in favor of finger pointing, partisan sniping, and an immaturity that is completely embarrassing to the rest of us and the country as a whole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies