Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 08:26 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,875,527 times

Advertisements

in this nation. To me this is a result of the consumerist, selfish mindset that has permeated this nation. Please spare me the PC all races do this crapola. Ive seen the numbers and more whites throw their parents in nursing homes than do hispanics, blacks, and Asians. What a dirtbag mentality. The people who have given you life and brought you into this world, raised you and you cant be bothered with them? I am white, but I'll call out my own race when I have to and call a spade a spade. When it comes to how to respect your elders and treat your parents I really admire as we all should the Asians and Indians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 08:38 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,151,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
in this nation. To me this is a result of the consumerist, selfish mindset that has permeated this nation. Please spare me the PC all races do this crapola. Ive seen the numbers and more whites throw their parents in nursing homes than do hispanics, blacks, and Asians. What a dirtbag mentality. The people who have given you life and brought you into this world, raised you and you cant be bothered with them? I am white, but I'll call out my own race when I have to and call a spade a spade. When it comes to how to respect your elders and treat your parents I really admire as we all should the Asians and Indians.
Well, gee. I'm single and not rich. How the hell would I take care of my parents and hold down a full-time job, particularly if they were dependent on machines and had to take lots of intravenous medications?

Old 04-11-2013, 08:40 AM

50,107 posts, read 46,715,694 times
I find it disgusting that some cultures enslave their children as they are the retirement for the old codgers. No career, just wait on someone hand and fist until the senior dies. Some life that would be. Then be expected to do the same? Have as many kids as possible to enslave for your own retirement.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:41 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,081,332 times
I agree with OP. It seems like more of an American trait. I can't necessarily pinpoint it to just whites, but the bond and meaning of family seems much different in the US.

I was born here, but grew up with strong European ties, and I feel like the way my family sticks together is much different than what I see with many friends. Even the bond I have with my family in Europe seems closer than many people have over here.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:43 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,171,990 times
Quote:
Wanting your parents to be in the same building as doctors and nurses who can respond to medical emergencies at a moment's notice and save their lives. How heartless! Let's let them live in our homes so that they can have an even higher chance of dying because of health problems due to no on-site medical care!

Great idea champ.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:45 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,151,082 times
Back in the day, most older people would die before becoming massive burdens on their children or before requiring insanely expensive round-the-clock care.

I have a well-written advanced directive to attempt to ensure that I do not burden my family if I'm ever incapacitated by an accident or old age. Basically if I have a serious accident or huge heart attack or stroke, I am to be allowed to die instead of heroic measures being taken to save me just so I can end up in some raisin farm costing my estate or my relatives (or the taxpayers) tons of money so I can loll around in a diaper, being turned every few hours to avoid bedsores, and having underpaid, uncaring foreign nurses thrusting oatmeal and medicine down my throat all day.

To hell with that.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:45 AM

1,610 posts, read 1,778,807 times
Quote:
I agree with you but keep in mind that the new age whites don't really live with much stress and issues so they don't know how to handle difficult or challenging times hence the suicide rate when they don't get their way.

The older whites were mentality much stronger and tougher. Came together poorer, raised kids and whatever crimes they did to others they were more men than the soft guys around today.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:46 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,364,617 times
Interesting article on elder care in Europe.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/13/bu...anted=all&_r=0

Old 04-11-2013, 08:47 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,889,093 times
This is a foolish thread I know many white people who tend to their parents....even if they put their parents in a home doesn't mean they don't still tend to them or care. Some do not care, but to say it's a white thing is absurd.

Matter of fact most white people tend to know their kids don't need the burden and check their own selves in before the kids know it and have prepared in advance for old age.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:49 AM

7,794 posts, read 6,355,834 times
Maybe it's because we have more parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies