Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 09:11 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,406,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
You don't have to be very sophisticated. You just have to have common sense.
My mother had a lot of common sense but she was not sophisticated in re investing. She wanted safe, safe, safe. Over the years she worked in retail women's clothing stores mostly, so she didn't have the kind of employee benefits which included retirement packages. Her investments consisted of CDs and her house, which was entirely paid for long before she sold it. Lots of people work very unskilled jobs and don't have the benefit of retirement pkgs and have to figure out for themselves what to do, how to save. My mother was fortunate in that she sold her house at the top of the bubble, AND that also just happened to be the time she wanted to sell it and move to an assisted living home near my sister. She was very lucky in her timing.

This topic makes me wonder, does Walmart have retirement plans for their employees?

Old 04-11-2013, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Yeah you can choose high risk, low risk, medium risk etc. Again amaze me with all these people who lost their entire nest egg right before retirement. Like I said if your about to retire and have all your dough sitting in high risk investments then your not very smart.
So "not very smart" people should be severely punished? There are a lot of "not very smart people" in this country who have worked very hard but have not been able to make sophisticated investment choices because they weren't educated or trained to do so. And some have been very unlucky.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:18 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,988,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Maurio View Post
So I guess the elderly should eat baloney and Roman Noodles every night?

Making the older set balony and Raman noodles or Kraft Mac & Cheese every night might be a good way to solve our senior problems and the looming bankruptcy of SS. They contain so much salt, potassium, phosphorus, unhealthy food additives and cheap carbos and sugars that they will accelerate any pre-existing cardiovascular problems. They might damage the kidneys which will soon get you into end-stage renal failure. High levels of phosphorus trick your body into excreting calcium so if your heart doesn't quit, the kidneys conk out the bones will fail. Being mobility challenged really cuts down quality of life and expedites your appointment with Saint Peter. In fact you will welcome the day you'll pass through the Great Golden Gate .

Old 04-11-2013, 09:53 PM

8,886 posts, read 5,367,816 times
Quote:
Warren is using her own brother as a puppet of the liberal madness of spending other peoples money. She won't pony up a cent but the rest of us are supposed to to help him out. Some family that must be. Maybe the Sioux were like that back in the day though and she can't shake that trait??
I seem to recall reading a biography of Crazy Horse long ago .... it mentioned that he lived a rather modest lifestyle, as was expected of chiefs.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:31 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,000,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
My mother had a lot of common sense but she was not sophisticated in re investing. She wanted safe, safe, safe. Over the years she worked in retail women's clothing stores mostly, so she didn't have the kind of employee benefits which included retirement packages. Her investments consisted of CDs and her house, which was entirely paid for long before she sold it. Lots of people work very unskilled jobs and don't have the benefit of retirement pkgs and have to figure out for themselves what to do, how to save. My mother was fortunate in that she sold her house at the top of the bubble, AND that also just happened to be the time she wanted to sell it and move to an assisted living home near my sister. She was very lucky in her timing.

This topic makes me wonder, does Walmart have retirement plans for their employees?
Well you can thank you know who for CD rates that aren't worth diddly. I don't look at my house as my retirement dollars as I plan on living here. Lots of people who don't have the benefit of retirement packages can put some money away instead of buying a new big screen every couple years, new pc, cell phone, car note etc. etc. etc. too. They choose to do the latter.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:34 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,000,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
So "not very smart" people should be severely punished? There are a lot of "not very smart people" in this country who have worked very hard but have not been able to make sophisticated investment choices because they weren't educated or trained to do so. And some have been very unlucky.
Severely punished? Who is punishing them? You don't have to make sophisticated investment choices. Hell put your money in a mattress. I got a cut of mine stashed away "just in case". Always have always will. The "market" is rolling the dice. Always has been always will be especially now days with the crooks having free reign.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:56 AM

19,020 posts, read 14,196,312 times
When the fleas outvote the dog, the dog dies, then the fleas.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Well you can thank you know who for CD rates that aren't worth diddly. I don't look at my house as my retirement dollars as I plan on living here. Lots of people who don't have the benefit of retirement packages can put some money away instead of buying a new big screen every couple years, new pc, cell phone, car note etc. etc. etc. too. They choose to do the latter.
My mom was very frugal. No big screen TV every couple years, paid cash for her cars..she was always very serious about saving and being a very efficient shopper......amazingly, most people don't really fit into those neat little categories. Also, just maybe when you're in your 80s and living alone, you might not really want the burden of a big house, and you just may need someone to help you get around and do basic house cleaning and preparing your meals. It happens to the best of us if we are lucky and live long enough.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:38 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,449,790 times
Quote:
You don't have to be very sophisticated. You just have to have common sense.

You also have to have a nontrivial number of actual dollars to invest, duh.

Old 04-12-2013, 07:08 AM

1,520 posts, read 1,873,314 times
Quote:
Yeah you can choose high risk, low risk, medium risk etc. Again amaze me with all these people who lost their entire nest egg right before retirement. Like I said if your about to retire and have all your dough sitting in high risk investments then your not very smart.
I wanted low risk and high return but they did not offer that as an option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies