Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 01:31 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,360,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
What about Guatemala?
At least their right to guns is guaranteed.
OK, so it is about guns. No surprise there.

Next next country in line in number of firearms per capita is Yemen, with about 61% as many guns per capita. The U.S. has 1.62 times as many guns per capita as the number 2. Numbers 3-5 are Switzerland, Finland, and Serbia (per the chart, but the graph, it's Serbia, Yemen, France, and Germany?). If the place you want to live is inextricably linked to gun availability, the U.S. is your place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 01:32 PM

13,692 posts, read 9,011,664 times
Quote:
What's a good nation to move to?

Certain things in the news, along with CD discussions are making me paranoid.

One must be of strong mind to go around the internet and read threads posted on forums. If what you read herein disturbs you, stop reading. Remember: 99 percent of what you read on this forum, as on most others, should be taken with a block of salt. Misinformation abounds. Chicken Littles flock to such forums. It is not reflective of true reality.

My wife was one who became convinced, a few years ago, that the American Family was dead. That everyone was divorced, divorcing, and abusing their children. Her problem was that after retiring she spent the first few months watching 'trash' television (Jerry Springer and that ilk).

Well! I took her to Disneyworld. She had a wonderful time, and it was good for her soul to see all the happy families (including gay families) enjoying their time together. She (and I) met many wonderful people and we both delighted in watching children sport about the parks. It was a vivid reminder to her that not all is as dire as TV (or the internet) portrays.

Old 04-11-2013, 01:33 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,360,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Well, I for one live in constant terror that Obama's army of brownshirts will knock on my door and force me to let a soldier sleep on my sofa. Because his assault on our treasured Third Amendment rights has been unrelenting.
That's sad. I feel bad for you.

EDIT: oops...I just detected the sarcasm

Old 04-11-2013, 01:35 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,671,220 times
Quote:
If certain rights in the Bill of Rights are taken away... .
Do you even understand how the Bill of Rights would be modified?

Stupid thread is stupid.

Old 04-11-2013, 01:38 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,771,776 times
Quote:
I guess not...

...Well it's a sad state of affairs when people forget their history and leave themselves vulnerable to a military takeover.
Not trying to be an ass here, but IMHO, any gun owner who truly believes the reason he should own volumes of firearms is to fight off the government for whatever conspiracy they can think of is not fully "right" if you know what I mean.

And there is ZERO comparison to the American Revolution towards modern America and fighting "tyranny" in the same way. Big difference in a coordinated move for a large group/new nation to fight for independence against a "remote home country" and a few spread out cases who believe they have a duty to keep the government in "check."

And to even placate you, can you point to a single case where the populace stopped a heavily armed coup with modern military firepower? Good luck because even in Nations with firearms in every corner, they never stood a chance against organized military firepower.

The next time "gun owners" will have a possible valid case for ownership and fighting any possible tyranny (in relation to History like you pointed out) is when mankind puts colonies on Mars or the bottom of the sea...ok now I'm off-topic.

Old 04-11-2013, 01:43 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,089,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
One must be of strong mind to go around the internet and read threads posted on forums. If what you read herein disturbs you, stop reading. Remember: 99 percent of what you read on this forum, as on most others, should be taken with a block of salt. Misinformation abounds. Chicken Littles flock to such forums. It is not reflective of true reality.
THAT is about the best advice I have seen here on this forum in a very long time.

Clearly such thing as a removal of the Bill of Rights is not probable or even possible in a nation such as ours. BUT with the myths and propaganda fueled by conspiracy theorists who seem entertained with everything from Bill Clinton's consult with space aliens to Obama's Muslim religion, what would any intelligent person otherwise expect ?

Old 04-11-2013, 01:44 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,671,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maabus1999 View Post
can you point to a single case where the populace stopped a heavily armed coup with modern military firepower?
The Simpsons did a great episode on guns.

Guns aren't toys! They're for family protection, hunting dangerous or delicious animals, and keeping the King of England out of your face!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies