Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 02:47 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover View Post
Why did the family member want him to leave? Its a tricky situation since they aren't legally married,I think its wrong to do that still...
I've been in a very similar situation, being unmarried, (but my partner is of the opposite sex)..

You get into a power play when crap like this happens. Who gets to direct what takes place. I'm sure the family member said they wanted x, done, and the man in question said no, they want Y done, and it resulted in an argument resulting in the man being asked to leave.

That or they might be a complete homophobe.. Dont know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 02:58 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,164,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Thats probably true but there indeed is a difference.

A medical power of attorney, only gives them permission to make medical decisions, a Health Care Directive includes both the Health Care Directive, and a Power of Attorney, providing full legal proection.

Not even beginning to claim the hospital was correct. I'm sure lawyers will have a field day, but once again, the same is true for unmarried straight partners. If they dont have all of the correct documents, then the hospital wouldnt verify they are valid, what would the point be of doing so?
But he had all of the documents. The hospital is not even denying that - in fact, an updated article states that they finally verified the documents and lifted the restraining order against this man.

Quote:
Correct, a Power of Attorney doesnt offer the full protection needed. A family member can ask an unmarried individual to leave regardless, unless of course the proper legal documents are in place, and of course in this instance, they are properly recognized by the hospital. You also need a medical directive.
So basically, my point still stands - The people who state repeatedly that homosexuals can receive the same protections as a married couple through legal documents are full of fecal excrement.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowsCalibrator View Post
But he had all of the documents. The hospital is not even denying that - in fact, an updated article states that they finally verified the documents and lifted the restraining order against this man.

So basically, my point still stands - The people who state repeatedly that homosexuals can receive the same protections as a married couple through legal documents are full of fecal excrement.
But if he had the restraining order lifted and he's now able to make decisions on behalf of the partner, then wouldnt this equate to him having the same protection? I'm not justifying what the hospital did, but if the hospital did the same for married couples, (such as common law), then the same outcome would be the result, correct?

Old 04-11-2013, 03:08 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
I have all of my legal paperwork, and was still denied access to my partner in the hospital. We were on vacation, and the nurse asked for a number to reach their next of kin. I showed them my documents, she said "no, the real next of kin".

I sat in the waiting room for hours after a car accident, not knowing what was happening, how badly she was injured, nothing.

If I were a spouse, I would have been able to just say so, and walk right in. No documents, no nothing.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:42 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,825,082 times
This country keeps getting worse and worse EVERY DAY!!!!!

Old 04-11-2013, 03:46 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,164,623 times
Quote:
But if he had the restraining order lifted and he's now able to make decisions on behalf of the partner, then wouldnt this equate to him having the same protection? I'm not justifying what the hospital did, but if the hospital did the same for married couples, (such as common law), then the same outcome would be the result, correct?
The fact that this situation even happened is the problem. The nurses/hospital should have verified the documents before having him arrested. The fact is that, time and time again, these legally binding documents are consistently ignored despite numerous claims that "all you need is a power of attorney/medical directive".

And no, hospitals don't ignore marriage certificates or claims of marriage like they do PoA/MD's for homosexuals.

Old 04-11-2013, 04:02 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,052,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
boo hoo he was made to leave because visiting hours were over.

Gays and their never-ending Victimhood.
Apparently you did not read the article:banghead:

Old 04-11-2013, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowsCalibrator View Post
The fact that this situation even happened is the problem. The nurses/hospital should have verified the documents before having him arrested. The fact is that, time and time again, these legally binding documents are consistently ignored despite numerous claims that "all you need is a power of attorney/medical directive".

And no, hospitals don't ignore marriage certificates or claims of marriage like they do PoA/MD's for homosexuals.
Agreed, the fact that it happened is a problem, but that issue remains regardless of sexual orientation of those involved.

But the fact that the documents were in the end recognized as valid, does indeed prove that documents protect individuals when problems like this arrises.

Old 04-11-2013, 04:26 PM

30,058 posts, read 18,652,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post

Maybe visiting hours were over.

Old 04-11-2013, 04:34 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Sounds more like a "family" situation here that is preventing him from going to the hospital, power of attorney or not. The brother of the guy got a restraining order..that's what got him arrested.

This is a non story..the hospital did nothing wrong. The brother of the sick guy got a restraining order.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies