Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2013, 10:26 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple rage View Post
It still sounds ridiculous both black men and women can be equally as dark
I'm speaking about people I personally know. I never said men and women can't be equally dark. I never said there are no women darker than that girl. I did say the only people I know that are darker than her are men. I can do a quick google search and find a darker women in about 30 seconds, but it would just be a random girl and not a girl I personally know.

Old 04-19-2013, 10:27 AM

247 posts, read 354,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
https://www.google.com/search?q=afri...w=1280&bih=640

Is there any woman in those results who you think looks similar to you? Just so that we get an idea what we are talking about

By the way I have never heard any of those stereotypes you have mentioned. Looks depend a lot on nutrition and health in general, clothes, etc. In African countries where people have achieved a certain quality of life, women tend to look anything but ugly, poor, diseased, etc.

Maybe in the US many people only know Africa from the news, you know, like famine-struck and war-torn places. Here in Portugal there are lots of immigrants from Angola, which is doing quite well these days. And the immigrants and tourists from there look pretty good and healthy on average.
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...uGpxwJdj1HeSPQ

People tend to think all West Africans look alike. Someone is always asking me if I am related to some African woman (who usually looks nothing like me). It pisses me off. I wish I were lighter so people would stop asking me that

Old 04-19-2013, 10:28 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I've absolutely NEVER heard of someone asking a random black girl if she came from Africa. And if they did, so what? Is that something to be ashamed of?

All of those things you listed aren't specific to Africans.
I get pegged as Nigerian pretty often. At least every few months or so.

Not uncommon. It depends on your combo of features.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.

Old 04-19-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I get pegged as Nigerian pretty often. At least every few months or so.

Not uncommon. It depends on your combo of features.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.
It sickens me how people think that every darkskin person is from Africa. I guess AAs really are that mixed looking

Old 04-19-2013, 10:33 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,839,675 times
Well,wouldn't you rather be percieved as African rather than African American,with all their problems(perceived)

People on these boards think very,very highly of African immigrants,so if you look like one,isn't that a plus?

Also,seek out a mate within the African immigrant community...
You would stay winning.

How are African's features different from black americans?

Old 04-19-2013, 10:34 AM

31,043 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Quote:
People say I look like I'm from ghana.

African features is the darkskin, round face, round nose, full lips.
"darkskin, round face, round nose, full lips"
Doesn't sound unattractive to me

I do see where you are coming from, even though I think you appear to be a little obsessed with the topic. But it is not my place to tell someone else what is important to them.

It is true even today in current movies, and especially commericals you still don't see women who fit the "darkskin, round face, round nose, full lips" description as held up as typically attractive. You do keep on seeing Halle Berri over and over again as held up as some ideal beauty. I hope she just goes away, please

When Commercials and Hollywood specifically start showing something other than a narrow range of Beauty as an Ideal we can say we are over it.

Old 04-19-2013, 10:35 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Quote:
It sickens me how people think that every darkskin person is from Africa. I guess AAs really are that mixed looking
As long as you look good in your African way (after all, the term is not African-American for nothing), why do you even care whether people think you are from Africa or not? Sounds like you don't like Africa, and yourself for your African ancestry...

Old 04-19-2013, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Well,wouldn't you rather be percieved as African rather than African American,with all their problems(perceived)

People on these boards think very,very highly of African immigrants,so if you look like one,isn't that a plus?

Also,seek out a mate within the African immigrant community...
You would stay winning.
African immigrants are not known for their good looks...so no, I would rather have a more AA look like Beyonce or Lauren London. Even Kelly Rowland.

I would never want a child with an African immigrant, look at all the problems I've endured for how I look..the child would have it way worse. They'd be the only darkskinned child amongst other black americans and would feel very excluded.

Old 04-19-2013, 10:37 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Quote:
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...uGpxwJdj1HeSPQ

People tend to think all West Africans look alike. Someone is always asking me if I am related to some African woman (who usually looks nothing like me). It pisses me off. I wish I were lighter so people would stop asking me that
She looks OK to me

Old 04-19-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
As long as you look good in your African way (after all, the term is not African-American for nothing), why do you even care whether people think you are from Africa or not? Sounds like you don't like Africa, and yourself for your African ancestry...
I don't want to look good in an "African way". African women are not very high on the totem poll in terms of beauty. When guys discuss girls they find attractive, they are either East African girls from Ethiopia/Somalia or lightskinned/mixed race girls like Nicki Minaj, Lauren London, & Rihanna.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies