Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 07:29 PM

10,027 posts, read 9,496,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Maurio View Post
This is a nice story about a small Iowa town that was failing. Main Street dead, storefronts boarded up and a rapidly declining population. But then the immigrants came. Now the town is thriving with dozens of new businesses, new residents and a revived school system. This is a story that could be told about any number of small towns and big city neighborhoods in America. And you want to deport these people?? I say keep the immigrants and deport about 30% of the Americans!
IMMIGRATION FOCUS: Ottumwa Leads National Trend | WHOTV.com
Story is crap and you know it. The story says nothing about "illegal immigration". If that 30% of The Americans you want deported are the fools who support "illegal immigration", than I say start heading south of the border.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 09:36 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,658,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I think that's a bit harsh, especially knowing and working with someone that grew up fighting in Nicaragua. Many in the poorer latin american countries do the best they can with what they have and have no control over the crooked government,police,judges,attorneys etc. So they either live like that or leave.
I've always said that if I lived in parts of Mexico or other Latin American countries they'd have to kill me to stop me from coming here (legally).

There's many self made Latin Americans, many run successful business' and provide needed services and like everyone else there's also leeches and bums.

Again, NO AMNESTY period. Here legally? Keep up the good work. Not here legally? Go to the back of the line and wait your turn.
But that's what's so ironic -- by their own admission, not one of the hispanic nations is worth staying in much less immigrating to -- yet the liberals are claiming that the USA and the American people are horrible and that we need to become yet another hispanic nation.

Once we join the 22 other hispanic nations, then where will the hispanics flee to next?

Old 04-12-2013, 10:09 PM

22,652 posts, read 24,563,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Very few have a problem with immigration. The problem of course is those who want to do it illegally. There is not a single country in the world with open borders and there is a reason for that.

It's in a countries best interest to know who is coming here.

If those coming here legally want to try and make it a go somewhere that is struggling, that is great.

Well, I think just about half of the people here illegally, came here legally. So, one part of truly fixing the problem is dealing with the visa entry/exit system

Old 04-12-2013, 10:10 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,858,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Maurio View Post
This is a nice story about a small Iowa town that was failing. Main Street dead, storefronts boarded up and a rapidly declining population. But then the immigrants came. Now the town is thriving with dozens of new businesses, new residents and a revived school system. This is a story that could be told about any number of small towns and big city neighborhoods in America. And you want to deport these people?? I say keep the immigrants and deport about 30% of the Americans!
IMMIGRATION FOCUS: Ottumwa Leads National Trend | WHOTV.com
What are you talking about? Who said they were illegal, and who has a problem with all immigrants?

Quote:
A town in Iowa knows better than most the impacts of immigration. Ottumwa’s immigrant population rose from 1% in 2000 to 11.3% according to the 2010 census. Wapello County had the biggest percentage rise nationwide.
11.3% ZOMG!

This town is whiter than my house.

Old 04-12-2013, 10:50 PM

3,846 posts, read 2,382,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Sounds more like an invasion of people that don't belong here.

Yes Americans failed in Deporting them.
What is wrong with our immigration laws that the illegal Mexican immigrants were not allowed to immigrate legally?

I think Reagan is a dead fart.

Old 04-13-2013, 06:43 AM

62,852 posts, read 29,085,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Well, I think just about half of the people here illegally, came here legally. So, one part of truly fixing the problem is dealing with the visa entry/exit system
Only 40% came here on a visa and allowed it to expire. 60% are illegal border jumpers or never came here legally in the first place. At any rate we do need to track visa holders and make sure they comply with them and keep them up to date or leave when they are supposed to. However, we also need to put a stop to illegal immigration.

Old 04-13-2013, 06:45 AM

62,852 posts, read 29,085,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonarchist View Post
What is wrong with our immigration laws that the illegal Mexican immigrants were not allowed to immigrate legally?

There are way more Mexicans and other potential immigrants that want to come here than we can accomodate in jobs and resources. That is why we have quotas for legal immigration. Should we let them all in anyway?

Old 04-13-2013, 06:48 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,150,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Reigns View Post
I'm trying to find where in the article it says the town was failing.

Main street dead? Storefronts boarded up? Rapidly declining population? Nothing like injecting BS into a claim. The OP is making things up as he goes. WAFI

According to the article, the immigrants had been coming since the '90's. The immigrant population had only increased by 10% over 10 years. (if there were 100 immigrants in 2000 in 2010 there were only 110 immigrants) Can the OP really be this stupid?

The article doesn't claim the town is thriving, the article says some of the immigrants have done OK.

Wanting to deport illegals is one thing, you haven't shown that these people in this town are illegals. If they are working in business such as Cargill, they need to have the proper documents, you haven't shown they haven't provided them to obtain these jobs. On a side note, doing research into this story shows that many of these immigrants were from Guatemala. Many Guatemalan immigrants are here legally due to past earthquakes and civil wars in Guatemala. They can apply for and receive certain immigration benefits making them here legally. http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...00082ca60aRCRD

The OP has injected straw man arguments and has pretty much lied about the situation, making it out to be something that it really isn't.
Right and if they are illegal any business they would be attracted to is paying them far less than the competition so yes, with that advantage that business will do well.

This is what is so funny here. It's amazing how people are unable to see the repercussions of the things they argue for OR the only thing they care about is politics.

If they are legal as nearly everyone has noted, that is great. The last thing we would want is more illegals coming and trying to cut their gains out from under them. For those who argue that you will have to pay more for your lettuce, you are going to by making illegals legal. They are not going to then accept the low wages. They accept the low wages now because they have no other choice.

When wages rise others decide to seek these jobs out. When they do this others have two options. Welfare or accept lower wages under the table.

Old 04-13-2013, 06:51 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,150,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonarchist View Post

Some have criminal records. Some are not needed. Some were simply unwilling to go through the process. Why does every country in the world have a process for entry into the country?

Can you freely go into Canada and become a full member? Can you freely go into Mexico and do that?

Old 04-13-2013, 07:20 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,987,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
But that's what's so ironic -- by their own admission, not one of the hispanic nations is worth staying in much less immigrating to -- yet the liberals are claiming that the USA and the American people are horrible and that we need to become yet another hispanic nation.

Once we join the 22 other hispanic nations, then where will the hispanics flee to next?
The only point I would argue is there's one country that I think doesn't belong on your list and that would be Costa Rica. Lots of american expats live there and if I could talk the other half into it we would seriously look to move there as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies