Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 05:44 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,645,339 times

Advertisements

I think they need to start pressing charges against those kids who re-post those pics of the assaults. Unless kids see there are repercussions to that kind of thing, they'll keep doing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 05:52 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Green Giant View Post
Just stay home and don't go to parties, problem solved. Social life is over rated

You do have a point about dressing appropriately, when was the last time an Amish girl was raped.
Or just don't act stupid when you're at a party.

I hate parties to begin with, everyone is annoying drunk, we usually have to fight someone trying to drive away when they are in no shape to drive, people yelling.

I think i just party with the wrong crowd.

Old 04-12-2013, 05:53 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Green Giant View Post
Just stay home and don't go to parties, problem solved. Social life is over rated

You do have a point about dressing appropriately, when was the last time an Amish girl was raped.
Do go to parties. My kids went to church dances, social gatherings in groups. They went out for coffee, not a lot of rapes at Starbucks.

Educating young girls on safety? I don't see a problem here.

Old 04-12-2013, 05:55 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,645,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Do go to parties. My kids went to church dances, social gatherings in groups. They went out for coffee, not a lot of rapes at Starbucks.

Educating young girls on safety? I don't see a problem here.
And how about educating teenage boys? Like, in how not to be rapists. That's where I see the problem. A big problem.

And while we're at it why not educate teenagers in empathy and compassion---which seems to be sorely lacking. I don't recall kids being vultures like this when I was a teenager.

Old 04-12-2013, 06:24 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
Sure, educate teen boys. In the end though, women need to be in charge of their own safety.

I think it is the accessibility of phones, with cameras, Internet, that has changed our society. Not always in the most positive fashion.

I had sons, and made sure they were home at reasonable hours. And yes, I was one of those annoying Moms who kept tabs on where my kids were, and what they were doing. I spent years as a chaperone, having pizza parties at my home, on weekends, where I KNEW what was going on.

The problem is so many kids now come from such fragmented families, they seem lost and gravitate towards peer groups that are not positive.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:14 PM

4,070 posts, read 5,603,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Sure, educate teen boys. In the end though, women need to be in charge of their own safety.

I think it is the accessibility of phones, with cameras, Internet, that has changed our society. Not always in the most positive fashion.

I had sons, and made sure they were home at reasonable hours. And yes, I was one of those annoying Moms who kept tabs on where my kids were, and what they were doing. I spent years as a chaperone, having pizza parties at my home, on weekends, where I KNEW what was going on.

The problem is so many kids now come from such fragmented families, they seem lost and gravitate towards peer groups that are not positive.
In the end though the real problem are the male rapists, not the women that "are not in charge of their own safety". Give me a break. You don't want to blame the victim... But... You repeatedly do.

Last edited by nevergoingback; 04-12-2013 at 08:23 PM..

Old 04-12-2013, 08:35 PM

11,237 posts, read 11,015,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
Are women now only supposed to drink around other women, is that it? No socializing with men? Come on. And those guys are sexual offenders. Too bad, it's their own fault.
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Grow up. We're talking about teenagers - 15, 16 year old girls.
No doubt! Where are the girls parents at? Why are 15 and 16 year old girls out at all hours of the night? A night that ends in them being used while in an alcohol (and possibly drug) induced coma at a party where they're outnumbered by their male counterparts at a 5 to 1 ratio?

Where are the parents of the boys? They're still children. I partied a bit at their age too, but I never witnessed the types of things occuring here and in Steubenville. The juveniles and young adults are different these days than when I was their age (and I'm only 39). Between the gun violence (or name your weapon of choice) and the rape, we've gone wrong somewhere as a society. Really wrong.....

Old 04-12-2013, 09:12 PM

3,448 posts, read 3,131,227 times
Still havn't read everything but wanted to say something noticed a page or so ago. Facebook and all these sites that take info from you are no different maybe worse then a great big global forever phone book and directory, for anyone including any agency.

Tracking people and putting a persons activities together is up for grabs and, anything can evolve out of connections with others. Never ever subscribe to something like this. Even your comp after cleaning everything out can be examined and data can be found out, you may not even have put it there or it could be a used or used when bought comp. Then U hold the position of holder, not to mention other investigative and connecting issues you may have nothing to do with.

I'm not a comp expert at all , simply common sense. People enjoy unlisted numbers and other personal approach's because some things can only be a tool of mischief in other hands. The world is stuffed to the brim with mischief and this is no time in history to ignore it and leave any doors wide open. In opinion -Facebook and similar are not wise in any way. Comp are now showing good convenience but there are boundaries setting up .

Last edited by stargazzer; 04-12-2013 at 09:57 PM..

Old 04-12-2013, 09:31 PM

3,448 posts, read 3,131,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middle School Mustache View Post
In the end though the real problem are the male rapists, not the women that "are not in charge of their own safety". Give me a break. .

Good point..

Old 04-12-2013, 09:33 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
And how about educating teenage boys? Like, in how not to be rapists. That's where I see the problem. A big problem.

And while we're at it why not educate teenagers in empathy and compassion---which seems to be sorely lacking. I don't recall kids being vultures like this when I was a teenager.
This aspect has been discussed before. "Educate teenage boys how not to be rapists"? As if, at the age group we are discussing, they don't know right from wrong? I had no such "educational advantage" wben I was in high school. Neither did any of my friends. However, if anyone had tried to rape a girl, drunk or not, with us around, it would have ended badly for them. We were all raised, by our parents no less, to respect women. That tbey were to be protected, anx that we were expected to be gentlemen. To act with honor.

These days, and I don't know why, boys and young men do no such thing. The mindset is to treat girls and women like they are beneath them. Using them at whim, then tossing them aside, but if they ever get hard up, need a quickie, whatevef, those sme women/girls should just come a runnin'. And many do.

It voes even deeper, and gets way worse than that, as well. Trying to "educate" teenage boys, through a mentallity like that, will just cause them to laugh, uproariously. They get things their way, as is. Why would the want to change? These types of young hyenas have no qualms about taking turns with one of their girlfriends best friends, who passes out ori gets way lit at a party, and go right back out to the girlfriend, like they just took a bathroom break.

They know what they are doing is wrong. They just don't care. Till they get caught. Then, all of a sudden, it's not their fault. This happens in the adult world too. A lot, in colleges. Guys that don't act like total dicks, and treat women shabbily, are thought of as wooses, lacking confidence etc. This because they can't, or won't force their will on women, dominate them. I gues the new term is tbey are not "Alpha" males. I guess that what boys are aspiring to be when they become men,i these days.

There is no educating this out of teenage boys or men. It is what it is. And it often leads to abuse and rape. There is a distinct and high pressure mandate to conform to a certain social image. In both girls and boys, women and men. Oh, sure, that's always been there, right? But, it's different now. These days, it's all about self. Individual satisfaction and gain. Right now! Thus, compassion, empathy, a willingness to protect the weak and helpless, are put aside as useless traits. Replaced bycontempt, sadism, and viewing the weaker and helpless as objects, to be taken advantage of.

It is a sad state of things. My advice, is, parents, teach your children well. Show them that compassion and empathy are strengths, not weaknesses, that the truly strong, defend the weak, and teach tbem at a young age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies