Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 06:00 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,061,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
It's pretty amazing there are that many irrational people that think this is an important issue, particularly when at the moment we could be on the verge of giving amnesty to 20+ million people who are here illegally. Consider the affects this will have on an economy already in recession, already with high unemployment, the affects on a straining health care system, education in our school systems which continue to decline due to the number of children who don't speak English, pollution, dwindling water supplies in many parts of the country, and most of all perhaps the end of the GOP since many of these people will vote democrat. Nobody seems to be paying attention. The GOP could gain some ground if they would stop pandering to the Marco Rubio crowd, and grow a pair, and stand up for what's right, explaining the detrimental affects this could have on our country.
Translation: Stop being afraid of the gays and start being afraid of the Mexicans!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 06:02 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times
Should we be afraid of gay Mexicans?

Old 04-12-2013, 06:14 PM

345 posts, read 643,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
"Come around?" Why should anybody "come around?"

Marriage means one thing: The union of a man and a woman. Period.

Why is it that homosexuals living together find it so important to be referred to as "married?" They can have civil unions; but, marriage means only one thing: The union of a male and female.

No, no "Period" for you.

Old 04-12-2013, 07:16 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,633,814 times
Surely more like 90% of the GOP in Oklahoma and other Red States oppose same sex marriage.

Old 04-12-2013, 07:27 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,769,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
I think it is important to remember that it was only 11 months ago that Obama was publicly opposed to gay marriage due to "fundamental Christian values".

It will take sometime for people to come around.

I would argue the opposite of you -- that a Supreme Court ruling in favor of Gay Marriage would help the Republicans. This is a losing issue for their party and if the Supreme Court takes away the issue they can focus on more winnable positions and gain back some independents. Why do you think Obama made the 2012 election primarily about social issues?
I don't think Obama made the 2012 election about social issues. I think he capitalized on how Republicans couldn't help themselves by saying stupid things about social issues, so Obama made his stances on social issues known and watched the GOP fall into the trap.

Old 04-12-2013, 07:51 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,942,406 times
100% of 2 is only two.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:30 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,252,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
I think it is important to remember that it was only 11 months ago that Obama was publicly opposed to gay marriage due to "fundamental Christian values".

It will take sometime for people to come around.

I would argue the opposite of you -- that a Supreme Court ruling in favor of Gay Marriage would help the Republicans. This is a losing issue for their party and if the Supreme Court takes away the issue they can focus on more winnable positions and gain back some independents. Why do you think Obama made the 2012 election primarily about social issues?
Agreed.

Obama won because of gay marriage. Most people under 30 passionately support it and wont consider voting for a Republican as long as the anti-gay baggage is part of the package.

As for why 66% of Republicans oppose it, you have to remember there are very few if any Democrats that still oppose gay marriage. That wasn't the case even four years ago. Everyone who opposes it i.e. all remaining conservative Christians are also Republicans.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:36 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,229,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
NBC/WSJ poll: 53 percent support gay marriage - First Read

The article also says opposition has increased 2% over the year, too. So perhaps some of the undecided are breaking against the issue.

The politics makes sense given the GOP is the home to the cultural conservatives, a key part of the GOP coalition. Also note the overall pro- results are within the polls' margin of error, so the country is still pretty much divided over this issue. The USSC decisions will be key. I think if the court rules against gay marriage (the California case) you will see the pro- numbers drop a bit.

The question is, in the unlikely event of a positive (for the gays) ruling, what the GOP political response will be? Another try at a Constitutional amendement banning same-sex marriage? I think this is maybe more plausible than it sounds IF it can get out of Congress and to the states....

...the interesting pardox is a conservative loss on the issue in the courts would be a bonus to the GOP as a way of keeping their base engaged & mobilized, around a constitutional amendment campaign..

Key takeway, though, is that the polling isnt overwhelmingly pro- same-sex marriage. Opinion is still divided.

Even IF this were accurate, one thing the pro-gay marriage has to remember is that those people have the right to THEIR opinion.....too? I know that is often overlooked in the stampede to expose people who differ their opinions and desires but, it's true. You make it sound like a bad thing.

You know, they may just have something with that religion thing and pro creation. For this that don't believe or abide, be open minded. Suppose YOUR wrong??? Suppose there really IS a God and he really DOESN'T approve gay marriage. Just suppose those who believe are actually....right?

What then? You know, be open minded to change...be open minded to differing beliefs.

Whistling softly...

Old 04-12-2013, 08:42 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,335,175 times
Quote:
66% of GOP oppose Gay Marriage (NBC/WSJ Poll)
Big flippin' deal. This is in part why the Republican Party is anything BUT conservative. Conservativism died back in the Disco Era, at least in the GOP.

It's also amusing that a significant number of Republoicans believe Obama is the Anti-Christ.

I mean, the dems aren't my cuppa tea either, but the R Party has just run off the rails into complete lunacy. Irrelevancy is next.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:47 PM

26,493 posts, read 15,070,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
I don't think Obama made the 2012 election about social issues. I think he capitalized on how Republicans couldn't help themselves by saying stupid things about social issues, so Obama made his stances on social issues known and watched the GOP fall into the trap.
I think you are flat out wrong. There was an obvious push on social issues from Obama. Were you on his emailing list? War on women, contraception to be covered by health insurance, abortion, planned parenthood, gay marriage, immigration as a heart tearing saga, the life of julia or whatever her name is -- heck even economic issues when brought up were viewed from a social lens...pay their fair share so we can make investments in the community, even if raising dividend tax will lower government revenue it is still the right thing to do because of fairness, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Agreed.

Obama won because of gay marriage. Most people under 30 passionately support it and wont consider voting for a Republican as long as the anti-gay baggage is part of the package.

As for why 66% of Republicans oppose it, you have to remember there are very few if any Democrats that still oppose gay marriage. That wasn't the case even four years ago. Everyone who opposes it i.e. all remaining conservative Christians are also Republicans.
There are still a few Democrats who oppose it. Per the poll that this thread is about.

I really don't see the big deal with allowing gays to marry. I'd rather let them and then worry about real issues like economics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies