Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2013, 11:33 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,719,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_the_facts View Post
I do not support raising income taxes on low income individuals because such individuals do not make enough money to pay for basic necessities much less additional taxes. The theory of reducing marginal utility is very relevant when discussing tax policy. One dollar means something to someone making 14k a year, but not very much to someone making 14 million.
So how do you feel about Obama running around the country saying that middle class Americans will not pay one more dime in taxes. He even said "not payroll taxes". Then he raised them.

You now that people make purchase decisions and if they had known their taxes would go up they may have made different decisions. Do you condone Obama lying?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 11:34 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
How is that Medicaid working out for your live in girlfriend who has Crohns disease? Are you saving $$ by not marrying her and allowing her medical care to be covered by us tax payers?
She's not on medicaid, we have too many assets..

And no, we arent married, but we have a child together so they would count my assets since she is the mother. I'm protecting assets by not marrying her, allowing them to pass to the children tax exempt.

But even if she was, I never once suggested we abolish safety nets.. There is a huge difference between safety nets, and a lifestyle..

Old 04-12-2013, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Green Giant View Post
So who paid for Romneycare? The tooth fairy??
People who bought insurance
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Green Giant View Post
For someone who hates Romneycare you sure defend it.
once again you need to be told, simply posting facts, doesnt mean I'm defending it

Old 04-12-2013, 11:36 PM

805 posts, read 1,161,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Any program that makes individuals rely upon the federal government for their livelyhood. I've never ONCE heard of a welfare program that didnt result in the recipiants being poor, nor neighborhoods where a high number of recipiants on welfare living in neighborhoods with appreciating values, have you?

And before you tell me that Democrats dont support increasing welfare programs, you guys called increased food stamps an economic stimulus in order to pass programs making more people rely upon government..

And now its shocking that we have record number of individuals on welfare.. Yeah, shocking I tell you..
The reason so many people are in these programs is because they are not enough jobs. Right now, there are many more job applicants than positions available.

The reason for this is because corporate executives insist on outsourcing jobs to get cheap labor in China (while giving themselves huge bonuses). Also, Republicans insist on cutting spending too quickly (before the economy has fully recovered from the financial crisis) and undermine confidence by pushing the nation towards default.

Also, the alternative to these programs would not be to become wealthy, but, rather, in many cases, would be starvation.

Old 04-12-2013, 11:39 PM

805 posts, read 1,161,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
So how do you feel about Obama running around the country saying that middle class Americans will not pay one more dime in taxes. He even said "not payroll taxes". Then he raised them.

You now that people make purchase decisions and if they had known their taxes would go up they may have made different decisions. Do you condone Obama lying?
All politicians lie and I'm not surprised that Obama is any different. FYI, I did not vote for Obama in 2008 and only voted for him in 2012 because I thought it would be pointless to write in Art Vandelay as a protest vote.

Also, Obama cut the payroll tax temporarily and then that temporary tax cut expired. That is different from raising taxes. That being said, I suppose the "tanning tax" could be considered a tax on some middle class individuals.

Old 04-12-2013, 11:41 PM

Quote:
The reason so many people are in these programs is because they are not enough jobs. Right now, there are many more job applicants than positions available.

The reason for this is because corporate executives insist on outsourcing jobs to get cheap labor in China (while giving themselves huge bonuses).
How many jobs do you think could be created if we would stop adding hundreds of billions in regulations and spent the other hundreds of billions on job creation programs? The stimulus bill cost how many hundreds of thousands of dollars per job? I forget, but it was asinine..
Quote:
Also, Republicans insist on cutting spending too quickly (before the economy has fully recovered from the financial crisis) and undermine confidence by pushing the nation towards default.

Also, the alternative to these programs would not be to become wealthy, but, rather, in many cases, would be starvation.
Thats utterly ridiuclous. The very same claim was made when Clinton cut the growth of federal spending and welfare programs. The only way federal spending stimulates is if the federal government spends cash saved. Even Keynesian economics recognize this to be true.

If you remove $1T out of the economy, and then pump it into the economy, the net result into the economy is $0, which is exactly what the federal governments doing.

Tell me how pumping $0 into the economy, and adding $1T to the federal debt, actually creates jobs?

Old 04-12-2013, 11:41 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
What programs perpetuate poverty and make people poor?
Obviously most of them -- poverty is rapidly rising -- more people on food stamps and Medicaid than ever before. More people living off disability checks.

The "War on Poverty" has been a huge failure, we've got more so-called poor people as a result.

Old 04-12-2013, 11:46 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Obviously most of them -- poverty is rapidly rising -- more people on food stamps and Medicaid than ever before. More people living off disability checks.

The "War on Poverty" has been a huge failure, we've got more so-called poor people as a result.
I would be most interested in reading the studies that prove a causal relationship between food stamps, Medicaid, disability checks and poverty.

Would you post what you have?

Old 04-12-2013, 11:46 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,249,457 times
Quote:
I never made the second quote!!!!
I reported it.

I've gotten in trouble in the past for just changing a word or two in a quote; that poster totally attributed something to you you didn't even say.

Takes balls.

Old 04-12-2013, 11:48 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,719,480 times
Quote:

The reason for this is because corporate executives insist on outsourcing jobs to get cheap labor in China (while giving themselves huge bonuses). Also, Republicans insist on cutting spending too quickly (before the economy has fully recovered from the financial crisis) and undermine confidence by pushing the nation towards default.

Not enough jobs lol. Because of your jealousy, this is exactly what you voted for.

I'm just one small business. Today I met a girl who was looking for a job. I was impressed with her and would have loved to offer her a job instead I just took her card. Running an s-corp (flow through) with the taxes I already pay, Obama's fear mongering and all the talk about raising taxes "again", the american people being forced to cut back I will not hire.

Obama hurt the very people who can offer people jobs.

Last edited by petch751; 04-13-2013 at 12:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies