Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2013, 07:36 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,355,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Anything against them? I"M ONE OF THEM
OK, good. Then low-paid people who don't pay taxes because they don't make enough or are on welfare are good. Excellent! We've reached a settlement and agree! I'm so happy we came to a common ground!

If you're going to enter an adult discussion, then please act like one.

Quote:
If Obama wants the rich to "pay their fair share", then he needs to change the tax code to do so and not just say he is, and then write legislation that has absolutely no effect on making them pay "their fair share"
I would love it if he did!

Quote:
Or more likely I dont need the income from them in order to live. If not needing an income is a **** life to you, then I have to ask you how poor are you? Another welfare recipient?
Awww...yeah, that's me. All about my government cheese. I did receive some unemployment between projects when my employer stopped paying back in 1998-1999, but other that, I've never received a dollar of government money. I hope that doesn't change your opinion of me.

Quote:
haha.. no, not really.. You just respond to 73 people all at once, and then pretend you arent posting..

You could win I post less than you contest by simply not posting. Save us all the trouble of reading your babble..
Yep...that's what it is...I come on for half an hour and respond. Your string of responses yesterday was constant for over six hours. And that was just one of your strings. I'll repeat: Who's productive now? I wasn't trying to win a who-posts-less contest. You said that I must be just as sad as you for being on here, then proclaimed that you are more productive than I am. I claim otherwise.

Quote:
Good for you, I enjoy life as well, or do you think you get to define the definition of enjoyment?
No, you get enjoyment out of playing shell games with money (apparently 8 figures' worth per year so that you can avoid taxes). If that's what floats your boat, good for you. I prefer to be more involved with the country I live in, especially if I made that kind of dough.

Quote:
Learn how to search, its not my job to hold your hand and babysit you. If you cant use a forum like an adult, then dont use it.
Aww...golly gee, mister! There's a search feature on this thing? Well, golly...I wonder what happens if I search for all posts in which Just_The_Facts mentions gasoline or cars???

Gasoline: 2 posts, neither in this thread (and none saying that everyone ays gas tax)
Gas: 3 posts, none in this thread (and none saying that everyone ays gas tax)
Car: 2 posts, neither in this thread (and none saying that everyone ays gas tax)

So, yeah. I know how to use the search feature, even the advanced one!! It's also how I figured out how much you post. It's pretty fun! Now, since you accused Just_The_Facts of saying something, I was just asking for a source. I see that you so far can't provide one.

Quote:
Yes, everyone knows that you dont want to respond to different people in different quotes, we wouldnt want the number of postings you make to climb making it more difficult for you to win the "I post less than you" award..
In most forums I visit, mass repeated postings aren't even allowed. They require you to multi-quote. And since I do mine all at once, and not over half the day...it kind of makes sense. I'm busy the rest of the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 08:04 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
I'm sure many of them would love to. You know, not all welfare recipients are lazy bums who want to scam as much as they can off of others. You and others' repeated attempts to paint welfare recipients in such a way is nothing short of demeaning. Kind of how I feel that all conservatives are nothing more than money-hungry piranhas who would stab their mother in the back if it netted them another $1000 (yeah, I don't really believe that, but you realize how ridiculous it sounds).

Hmm...69 million people pay a total of $19.5 billion, and that's less than 1 cent each? What math are you using? Because when I do my liberal math (it's only taught in blue states), 19.5b / 69m = 282. $282 each. Not less than $.01

Can you please explain how you got the less than $.01?

What the hell did he do TO you? The last five years have been the most profitable for me, by far. And the future is looking really good with thousands of jobs opening up in my field, within 45 minutes of me, in the next year or so. Every one of my friends who was looking for work after losing their jobs around 2008 found new work and they are doing fine.

Seems like if you have been hurting in the past few years, you made some really bad choices. You should fix that.

Despicable. Really, just...wow.

The very person who whines incessantly and goes on these apoplectic rants about so many people not paying taxes, when those people barely make enough to survive, admits to using accounting tricks to keep himself from having to pay, while he apparently makes 8 figures. That is the 100% definition of a hypocrite, and the very worst kind.

Of course, I'm not sure I believe the whole thing either. If I was pulling in 8 figures, which I never hope to do, I certainly wouldn't be wasting away my days on internet message boards arguing with a bunch of "pee-ons", certainly not self-indulging myself about how big my bedroom is or how many vacation homes I have. Proof positive that money doesn't buy you class or happiness. What a sad life.

EDIT: I'd also like to point out that you're basically blaming the government for having a deduction in place that you choose to take. "It's not MY fault! It's THEIR fault for allowing it!" Blame someone else. Typical.

Funny, thousands of jobs have been opening up in my city recently. Again...maybe you need to reevaluate how you are doing things if you are hurting so much when so many others seem to be improving.

You know...this is funny. I have about 250 Facebook friends. I would say about 90% of them are liberal, and the other 10% conservative, with about half of them being rabid conservatives. And before you go off all half-cocked about how many of my friends are probably moochers on the government dole, realize that I don't know of a single person on my friends list who is not gainfully employed.

So, we hit the time when the payroll tax break expired and people started seeing more coming out of their check. There was shock! There was anger! But where did it come from? Every single message that ranted about it on my wall was from the conservative friends. Not one single liberal friend complained about the raise in their taxes. Not one. But more than a handful of the conservatives did. Apparently the liberals didn't mind so much, or they can afford it without having to cry.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

Umm...no, he didn't. Just_The_Facts (who was quoted in the post that you quoted) hasn't said anything about cars. In fact, a search of his posting history suggests that he has only used the word "car" once. Maybe I missed his post and you can link to it.

Or were you actually referring to Jolly Green Giant, who simply asked "Poor people don't have cars?" If so, then your response is just a FAIL.

Really? ALL Americans? Use hyperbole much? I am doing much better. Most of my friends are doing much better. I think what you mean is "Hurting all money-hungry animals who see their tens of millions per year fall to a mere ten million per year."

Wait...you're taxed on what you PAY for health insurance? That's odd...I get a deduction for my healthcare spending, including premiums and doctors' bills. Sucks to be you. You should make better choices.

Who the hell actually pays 45% of their income to government? That's a very small slice of the public.

Wow, then the big CEOs must make your heart palpitate, maybe even send you into shock! They're making 10-40 times what Obama made and probably paying even less of a rate using their fancy accounting teams. And no, I don't think they are working NEARLY as hard as you are.

And the vacation thing is getting old. Pretty sure that has been debunked numerous times.

Actually, I'm pretty sure his main "demands" were that people who make a lot of money pay more.

----------

You know...in the end, I am so glad I'm not conservative. It just seems like they are always angry. Always upset at the world. Always blaming others for how horrible everything is for them. I wake up every day, go about my day, enjoy it, then go to bed. I don't worry about some bad guy breaking into my house and killing me. I don't worry about how some other guy is paying less tax than me. I don't worry about any of it. Damn, it feels good to be a gangsta. The funny thing is, the people with the most, are the ones whining the most.
I think this whole argument could be fixed by one thing and it's unfortunate that the government machine is soooo scared of losing some of it's vast control and political power that it's unlikely to ever happen (by the way, this is criticism of everyone in D.C. over the last 20 years).
That one thing is going to a flat or fair tax. Everyone pays the same no matter what they make. What's more fair than that?
If Obama was the savior of the common man as he's purported to be he'd jump on that one item and shove it through so why doesn't he?
IT'S FAIR to all or am I wrong?
As for making "8 figures"? I'd love to be in that position but it's my own fault I'm not. I wasn't willing to do what was needed to get it, no, I valued my time with my family more than I wanted the money. Does that make me better or worse than those that make the big $$$? Nope, I chose a different path and am happy with that path.

This class envy stuff has got to stop. I'd hoped we'd be smarter than to fall for such a trick that accomplishes nothing other than to get us fighting amongst ourselves and distracted from watching what's really going on with those in power.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Government uses the tax code to encourage specific activities. The government does not want to be a landlord so they encourage investment in real estate by giving tax deductions. Since you are so smart I would think that you would understand this. At least someone who invests in real estate provides something unlike the people on welfare who take from the tax payer but don't give back. Greed is taking but not giving anything in return.
Well, that didn't really respond to anything I said, so I'll leave it be.

Quote:
Why if you are so smart are you working for someone else?
I'm pretty sure I explained that to you in the previous post. Please try to keep up.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:00 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,941,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751
Government uses the tax code to encourage specific activities. The government does not want to be a landlord so they encourage investment in real estate by giving tax deductions. Since you are so smart I would think that you would understand this. At least someone who invests in real estate provides something unlike the people on welfare who take from the tax payer but don't give back. Greed is taking but not giving anything in return.
Didn't you ever see the classic Christmas film, "It's a Wonderful Life?" The idea is to get out of Pottersville and own your own home, which George Baily helped facilitate.

Also, what welfare system are you talking about? That was changed in 1996 to a temporary workfare system.

Quote:
The Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act of 1996 (PRWORA) is a United States federal law considered to be a fundamental shift in both the method and goal of federal cash assistance to the poor. The bill added a workforce development component to welfare legislation, encouraging employment among the poor. The bill was a cornerstone of the Republican Contract with America and was introduced by Rep. E. Clay Shaw, Jr. (R-FL-22) who believed welfare was partly responsible for bringing immigrants to the United States.[1] Bill Clinton signed PRWORA into law on August 22, 1996, fulfilling his 1992 campaign promise to "end welfare as we have come to know it."[2]

PRWORA instituted Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), which became effective July 1, 1997. TANF replaced Aid to Families with Dependent Children (AFDC) program, which had been in effect since 1935 and supplanted the Job Opportunities and Basic Skills Training program (JOBS) of 1988. The law was heralded as a "reassertion of America's work ethic" by the US Chamber of Commerce, largely in response to the bill's workfare component. TANF was reauthorized in the Deficit Reduction Act of 2005.

Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-15-2013, 09:03 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,550,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
Obama paid more than his 'fair share'. Eighteen plus percent is more than anyone should have to pay to the fed.
Unless they are an Obama opponent or a democrat.

Just ask Obama.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I think this whole argument could be fixed by one thing and it's unfortunate that the government machine is soooo scared of losing some of it's vast control and political power that it's unlikely to ever happen (by the way, this is criticism of everyone in D.C. over the last 20 years).
That one thing is going to a flat or fair tax. Everyone pays the same no matter what they make. What's more fair than that?
Depends...do you allow for a personal exemption to start with? The same personal exemption for every individual? Say, $25,000? So everything over that amount is taxed at the flat rate? because otherwise, no it's not exactly fair. At 15%, taking $3,000 from someone who makes $20,000 per year is very, very different than taking $30,000 from someone who makes $200,000 per year.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Anyone seen Romney's 2012 tax returns? Or his post-election loss 2011 tax returns revisions?

Try to change the subject much?

Old 04-15-2013, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Just wondering if Obama paid a lower effective tax rate than Mr. Romney.
No you are not. You are attempting to change the direction of the conversation from one you find uncomfortable to one you want to attach without regard to the truth.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:17 AM

Quote:
And as usual, the right wants to forget about those they are ashamed/embarrassed about.
Would that be similar to you and your fellow serfs wanting to continue fawning over your dear master? Even when proof of your being clueless is delivered to you?

(of course, that would be a reason you continue to try and take this topic off topic and you know it)

Old 04-15-2013, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Obama isn't on welfare.
Of course he is! His income is from the taxpayers, just like those on welfare.

All of his expenses are on the taxpayer dime. He produces nothing but problems.

If that isn't welfare, what is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies